It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
(male)

rsjazz86 HB User
I Thought I Had It Under Control...but.....

Hello everyone,

First of all thank you for reading. It might take a while for me to gt everything out and I don't even know where to start. Just this summer I met a wonderful girl in my hometown who I fell for right away and knew there was a connections. I thought this was going to be a great summer, but it turned out not so great. This was my first serious relationship in a long time, but most of all its been a while since I have been intimate with someone. I was always concerned about been intimate with someone because of things that have happened in the past. I am in college now, but back in sophmore year of high, I stupidly had an intimate encounter with a girl and after that I thought I had gotten an STD, especially HIV since I was unprotected. Ever since then I have had the fear of it and have gotten tested 3 times throughout 2.5 years. They were all negative, just my mind kept telling me that something might have gone wrong or what if this what if that. I have had all sorts of thoughts and ideas and at time it was so bad that I could not even go to class. Anyway, I have gone to sessions to try to deal with it as best I can and move on from the fear, but I guess it never really goes away. So for a while I calmed down, even after the fear that I might even get something like HIV from kissing. So when I met this girl at the beginning of summer, I wanted to take things slow. After a month, we became intimate with eachother, but I was very concerned, even thought I was protected and made sure the condom was not broken of anything.

After it happened, she sensed that something was wrong and I told her about my fear. She was very understanding and she wanted me to be open about her about things that were bothering me. But somewhere in the back of my mind, I was concerned still. It got a little better with time and we were having a great time together. My feelings for her developed the more time we spent together. Everything she did and said felt very real and that she wanted to be with me and that she was happy. Until one night after we had dinner out, she told me that she cannot to did anymore and she feels uncomfortable with me. She led me on and then just ended it right there. All the " I miss you and I am so happy to be with you", I don't know how to take those and if they were even true. If this was all a game to her and I was just used. So she broke my heart after everything I told and all the time we spent together. But the thing that bothers me the most is that I was intimate with her and it was very special, even though in the back of my mind my fear was still there.

So just the the other day, I was at work and all of a sudden I read a headline about STD/HIV. Later that day, I was reading my book during break and it mentioned HIV in my book. I got home and I went on my computer and I saw a headline on Yahoo about HIV. And this morning the same thing. I HATE THIS! I feel as these are signs that I have it. How can it happen in one day, just out of nowhere and I after I was intimate with someone and they broke my heart. I don't know what else to thing and how to take all these things that I see about HIV. Or am I just crazy. It has happened in the past and thats why I have gotten tested 3 times, even when I had not sexual contact. But now its happening again. I did not even finish my book because of it and I put it down and walked away. One thing after another in day. I cant take it. Is it my mind or something else. I guess those sessions never helped since I freak everytime I read something about it or see something related to it and I think, well there its a sign for you. After she broke up with me and went back to school, I have had wiered dreams and cant sleep much at night. I am sorry this is long and maybe I don't even know what I am trying to say and its all probably very confusing, but if anyone can offer some advise or anything it would be really nice.

Thank you again for reading this confusing thing.

Rod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 03:27 AM   #2
(male)

steveo23 HB User
Re: I Thought I Had It Under Control...but.....

Hey buddy

Stupidly intimate encounters are what makes you a young male. Most of us have been there. And Im sorry you were used like that... it happens, to men, as well as women. The good thing is you did the sensible thing (which many dudes forget about) and protected yourself.

I can understand these HIV fears, they are oh so common with OCD folks, and I've had them myself (even getting tested, like you). I guess its such a common fear because even people without OCD dread things like HIV.

The way I got out of this obsessions was realizing the reality, and not the irrationality, behind this HIV fear. Hell yeah, its a God awful disease to have, and who knows if you will get it or not someday, but it's actually one thats very hard to catch. I dont think theres ever been a case of transmission through kissing, and even cases of blood to blood contact are not as common as you think. Intercourse, which is the number one way of passing it on, carries a 5% risk. So you are relatively unlucky if you only sleep with an infected person once and get it. In turn, theres only been several cases eve where they have got HIV results wrong because the test has failed. Some people seem to have a strong immunity to viral diseases in general, others dont, and they think this is a big factor.

Maybe exposing yourself to HIV in the media and so on would make you less sensitive to this fear? Read all you can about it. A good way over an obsession is facing up to it. There are doctors that work with HIV/AIDS patients day in day out, and if the risk was too great for them I dont think they'd be doing it.

I know this is a nasty fear Rod, but its beatable.

Steve

Old 08-27-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
(male)

rsjazz86 HB User
Re: I Thought I Had It Under Control...but.....

Steve,

Thank you for your good words, it means a lot.

Best of everything,

Rod

Closed Thread