It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User
OCD, will it keep getting worse....so annoyed!

Hi, I'm 31 and my husband is 31. We have both had a little bit of OCD since I can remember but it seems to be getting worse.
I have the "checking" problem. I check the iron, stove, curling irons and all of that a million times. I know it's off and sometimes find myself turning around to go back to my house to check AGAIN when I know it's off! It is so annoying to me!
BUT.....my husband on the other hand is a little worse and it seems like it's getting worse yet. He always checks his pockets and goes down the list a million time to make sure he has everything and then he has a problems with the light switches and making sure the faucets are off and the doors are shut. He pushes on the refridgerator door so hard, he's going to break the handle eventually. We have had to replate faucets because of them being stripped out because he is tightening them too much. And, another annoying thing is that he spends sooooooo much time setting his alarm and repeating the time over and over again. Last night, for the first time....he asked me what the clock said while he was staring at it. Like he wanted to hear me say it. He flicks the stinkin' switches on it back and forth so much it drives me mad.
I tell him he needs medicated but it seems to just be a joke for now.
Will this keep getting worse or what!!!
HELP!!

Old 09-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User
Smile Re: OCD, will it keep getting worse....so annoyed!

Hi. You poor thing - I can relate! I like to check the stove knobs and turn them off more than once, but I'm getting better. I don't know if you have read the book Brain Lock by Jeffrey Schwartz, but if not, I would highly recommend it. The four steps presented are supposed to help change your brain chemistry and "shift the gear" in an OCD brain without medication. I have also had 14 treatments of biofeedback for anxiety and now that I feel I'm OCD, am going to have more done specifically for the OCD. I have finally found a therapist who believes that I have OCD tendencies. It is a treatment that addresses the brain disregulation without medication. It's a bit expensive, but my fiance's psychiatrist told him that it has been proven. I'm no medical expert, but am throwing it out there as an option to you or your husband. I have always, since a small child, hated dripping water and have tightened water faucets several times, to ensure no water is dripping! I had to chuckle just a bit, because I can relate so much to his habit. It's so me! : ) I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers and we'll fight this battle together. To answer your question, I have read where OCD symptoms wax and wane and I do believe that stress also affects them. For me, some of my OCD symptoms just went away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2006, 06:02 AM   #3
(female)

claire1808 HB User
Re: OCD, will it keep getting worse....so annoyed!

Hi, I too used to check things over again and it would take me about an hour to leave the house each time and an hour to actually go to bed on a night through my checking, even to the extent of turning the gas fire on again just so that I would have to turn it off again to make sure it was off properley! Then I would wait a while after then sniff around it incase I could smell gas, it used to frustrate me so much because deep down I knew that it was off but I always had to double check or even more than double check
I don't take long now though as like most people check once as they go to bed that everything is off and doors are locked, I look around each room once then go to bed so there is hope for him as I didn't ever expect to get better that way, but find that taking Seroxat does help, although even when I haven't been on medication as long as other things at the time weren't stressing me then I didn't check much but under stress tend to fall back into the old checking routine

Claire

Last edited by claire1808; 09-13-2006 at 06:03 AM.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

What is it, anyway, about stress that seems to affect the OCD brain?
The checking can get worse, can't it? I also get paranoid about the
night light/lamp in my daughter's room - always thinking that it's somehow
going to catch something on fire by staying on all night long.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mistina HB User

fire, that'a a HUGE one for me.....i check constantly for fire hazards. I worry all of the time about night lights, ect. Night lights.....isn't that what they are for, to stay on? Duh! I hate that I worry like this.........Hopefully it prevents me from having a fire in my house though!

My husband will never go to the doctor to get meds for this, I know that. He doesn't think it's something that can be helped I don't think. His brother is rediculous as well. He's OCD like everything has to be straight and perfect and neat and he freaks out if something is out of place or dirty. It's really rediculous!
I guess we are all a little nuts!

Old 09-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #6
(female)

claire1808 HB User

My mother has always been like this also and will even lock the front door, get into the car then get back out and rattle the handle just to be sure this has been going on long before I had been diagnosed so I suppose it might be in the genes?. I do think there is hope of recovery even if it is not complete recovery as I never in a million years thought I would feel better than when I was at my lowest

Most people have little quirks about them but it is when you get to complete exhaustion that you realize just how bad it has become before going to see your doctor about it.

My husband is a firefighter so I don't tend to worry about the gas fire now

Old 09-15-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
(male)

Dan.FIFA HB User

Its a good thing though that both of you are like this because you can support and help each other.
For me, I check the faucets and press hard on the ligh switches. At night I look at the electric sockets and see that no leaves from my plants are near there incase on goes in and starts a fire. I press the fridge door and when I'm finished with the phone I press the end button 10 times and stare at it and see that its off so that I dont miss calls. I also keep staring at the printer when I'm at the comp to see that its off.
Its not THAt bad for me, and I keep saying to myself that I can check or look only once and then I have to move on, and its working most of the time.
I think its easier for me as well because since I'm 18 I can just let others in the family worry about the bathrooms (I try not to be the last one in there), and the locks, stove etc.

Closed Thread