It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2006, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

jen_thomson HB User
OCD Anonymous

I was searching our online catalog to see if we've received any new books on ocd...and came across this e-book....OCD Anonymous. Most people are at least somewhat familiar with 12 step programs...I've glanced through the material- but haven't looked at it closely. Honestly, my first reaction is to balk at this one...anyone else heard of this approach or read this book?

Old 10-11-2006, 08:41 PM   #2
(female)

Psychobabble HB User
Re: OCD Anonymous

Hi Jen-T,

I have not heard of this approach to overcoming OCD before reading your post. Thanks for the information on it as I find it interesting to learn about different approaches to helping those with OCD. However, I took a quick gander at the 12 steps (and how they modified them to fit OCD) and I don't really agree with their tenets nor do I think it would help much. However, that is just my opinion. If it can help someone else with OCD then that is what matters.

That being said, I do not care for how they refer to OCD as a 'character defect' and how we should admit to everyone 'the exact nature of our wrongs.' It seems to me, given the nature of my obsessions (they used to be religious in nature...now they involve more general moral issues), that this approach would trigger an episode of OCD rather than helping me to reduce it! Since I often obsess on whether or not I am a good person (and my OCD tries to find reasons to convince me that I'm not), I think the whole approach could turn into an obsession and following the 12-steps would turn into a compulsion in attempt to reduce the anxiety with debating whether or not I am a 'flawed' person. I may be wrongly interpreting the message OCD Anonymous is trying to convey, but I just don't think the 12-step approach would be the best treatment for OCD (at least for certain manifestations of OCD).

However, as I said earlier, this is just my opinion based on what I do know about the 12 step program and the little bit that I've read on the OCD Anonymous website. But if it works for others dealing with OCD then that is wonderful because I do believe that if OCDers can find ways to successfully reduce their OCD then they should take full advantage of it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
(female)

jen_thomson HB User

I agree with you...it isn't for me, either! But like you said...if it helps someone else, that's great. Thanks for checking it out and voicing an opinion.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:53 AM   #4
(female)

MissyS HB User

Where is the online catalog?

Closed Thread