It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
(female)

tamjas HB User
Unhappy Anyone have compulsive speech problems?

I have had anxiety/panic disorder for a long time and one of the problems that really bothers me is when I become anxious I start saying compulsive things or start speaking and just kind of leave the sentence in the middle. I try to fight the urge to speak just because Im nervous (and when theres any pause in a conversation -it doesnt have to be directed to me) but alot of times I cant help myself and sometimes it doesnt even make sense. I get alot of strange looks and sometimes I feel I am avoided because of this.

Anyone have anything like this and if so, have you found anything to help with this?

Also, my mother has OCD and I wondered if this may be a part of OCD symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

BadMalibu HB User
Re: Anyone have compulsive speech problems?

Tam-

I can't say that I have the same compulsion that you do about speech, but one way or another, OCD has a strange way of making itself known. Actually now that I think about it, I used to repeat certain words in sentences. Like if I stopped talking, I had to repeat the same thing over again even if I said it fine the first time. Eventually it just sort of went away.

As for your mother having OCD, the debate is split down the middle. Is it genetic, or is it because of the environmnet? My parents don't have OCD, and no one in my family does except for me. The debate will rage on, but as for me I think it has alot to do with the enviornment you're rasied in, and how you dealt with things as a child.

As children our minds are not yet old enough to understand how to deal with things we see at home, or in life. Depending on our sensitivity, we may repress being yelled at, or seeing our parents divorce at an early age, or not know how to deal with some tragic accident. As we get older, these things that have sat in our sub-concious for so long have a funny way of coming out, which is in the form of OCD.

My recommendation would be to see a CBT (Cognitive Behavrioal Therapist) and get into therapy, as the therapist will be able to help you start to overcome your OCD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread