It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
(male)

SurfKid22 HB User
Effective Medication for Intrusive Thoughts

Hello, I'm new to posting on this board, but have read posts for a while now. I have been suffering from intrusive thoughts lately. I have always had these, but they have accelerated lately and it's interfering with my daily life. Most of the time I can't concentrate at work or school. Two of my family members died in a violent car accident earlier this year, and ever since then, it seems like my OCD is on full throttle. I'm terrified of trains for fear that someone will fall on the tracks. Also, I'm terrified of sharp objects, and basically anything around me that I see that can cause harm. Also, I'm obsessive about exercisig and what I eat. I'm quite thin, and not overweight at all. But the obsession I have is more of a satisfaction I need to meet and this is usually accompanied by pain from working out. I've finally decided to see my doctor about this and just wanted to know if anyone has treated their intrusive thoughts effectively with medication.

I'm just at a point where I'm completely desperate. I'm only 24, and have suffered from this for a while. Now, it's come to a point where I'm desperate.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
(male)

steveo23 HB User
Re: Effective Medication for Intrusive Thoughts

Hey

Im sorry to hear about what happened in your family, mate. Thats tough beyond words, and its no wonder your OCD is playing you up. Im 24 also, and I can understand how OCD messes with you.

I think its a good thing you are seeing your doc. Its better to go for help rather than struggle alone, especially if you do feel desperate as you say. Well done for making the step. I guess OCD is something we'd like to think that we could handle completely on our own, but unfortunately its not always the case.

I found medication reduced my intrusive thoughts in freqeuncy and severity, but I had to try several meds to see which was the most effective. I think its a case of trial and error finding the best treatment for the individual.

Therapy is very effective for the thoughts... have you ever looked into it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

BadMalibu HB User
Re: Effective Medication for Intrusive Thoughts

SurfKid-

Well we all know what it's like to have intrusive thoughts because usually it comes with the territory of having OCD. They're not pleasurable, but remember. A thought can never hurt you. A thought cannot make you act. These thoughts are symboclic and not literal, meaning that it's your sub-concious' way of slapping you around to get you to notice that something else is bothering you that needs your attention. When you get to the root of what's bothering you in therapy, you'll notice your symptoms will start to ease up because your mind has finally figured out what was bothering it to make all of these symptoms come out.

Medications are only as good as the therapist that you see to talk about your progress. You wouldn't buy a $2000.00 stereo and then not bother to read the instructions that comes along with it would you? Your therapist will be able to work with your regular physcian to help you find a medication that works for you.

Keep in mind that medications are not a cure all for OCD, but they can help reduce some of the anxiety and some of the symptoms. The most effective therapy today for OCD is medication in conjunction with therapy. Hope this helps!

Closed Thread