It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User
Is it normal to be agitated easily with zoloft?

i have been on lexapro for 8 weeks and i just switched to zoloft 5 days ago. i am not liking getting use to it. it is making me very sleepy and i am only on 25 mg's. i am having more anxiety and agitation since starting zoloft then i ever did with lexapro. i stopped the lexapro because it made my ocd worse, but i was only on it for 8 weeks. maybe i did not give it long enough. my ? is is it normal when starting zoloft to be anxious and agitated very easily.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LisaBob HB User
Re: Is it normal to be agitated easily with zoloft?

Hi teacher2be,

I wish I had any help or advice to offer you. I have none but am very interested in the replies you get as I have one child on Zoloft and one on Lexapro. They've both recently started these meds and both were prescribed for OCD. I guess everyone's wired differently...so I suppose it might not be a one size fits all kind of thing.

Did your doctor tell you how long it would take for the Zoloft to take effect and the Lexapro to be out of your system? Did they give you any expectation of side effects or impact from the switch?

I hope you feel better and less anxious soon!

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

i was on lexapro for 8 weeks and it seemed to make my ocd worse, but i was only on 10 mg and maybe i did not give it long enough. i have only been on zoloft for 5 days and i am not taking it anymore. it has been horrible! i keep telling myself "give it longer, don't give up" but i can't take it anymore. i feel horrible (dizzy, anxious, panic attacks, headache, foggyness, very sleepy, dizzy, nauseated). i can't take it anymore. i would not advise it to anyone. i think i am going back on lexapro because i NEVER felt like this on it. my face even goes numb. the nurse and pharmacist said i should not have any problems switching medicines but i don't feel like myself. i take it at night, and in the mornings and afternoon i feel awful. i feel better when it's time to take it again(like when it's wore off). ALSO I READ THAT A DR. SAID QUITING ZOLOFT COLD TURKEY IS LIKE QUITING HEROINE COLD TURKEY. THAT'S SCARY. i'm sure everyone knows this but i just wanted everyone to know this.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

teacher2be,

I believe that I suffer from anxiety and what might be OCD. My regular
M.D. had given me some samples of Zoloft to try. Although I don't want
to discourage people from trying it, since I know that what might not work for one person might be a solution for another, I still have to relate my personal experience to you. I only tried 25 mg. and it wasn't a good experience for me. It actually increased my anxiety and caused me to
have panic attacks. The feeling of restlessness and wanting to crawl out of my skin was almost unbearable. I could hardly wait for it to wear off. My dr. changed me to Effexor, but I opted to get biofeedback treatments instead for my OCD. You basically play video games with your brain to try and correct any disregulation. I think it's helping - I have good days and some
not as good. It takes about 30 - 40 treatments, though, on the average. Again, I don't want to discourage anyone from trying something that might benefit them, but I did want to relate my own experience to you. It's definitely worth letting your dr. know how the Zoloft made you feel. My dr. didn't want me to continue it at all. If the Lexapro was making your OCD worse, have you thought about trying a different med. for OCD? I have also wondered if hypnosis could be an effective treatment?

danni

Old 11-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

dannic1-- i stopped taking the zoloft and went back to lexapro to give it one more try maybe i did not give it long enough (8 weeks). the zoloft has scared me to death. i only took it 4 days, which as a nurse i know that is not long enough to know anything, but i have never felt like this before. i have felt so pannicky, and anxious, exactly like you were describing, also chest pain. i'm taking this for anxiety and its making that worse, to me it's not worth it. i am to scared to finish it. i have heard this same thing from others, and them some love it. i just never felt like this with lexapro that's what scared me.
i really wish i did not have to take anything at all. zoloft made me feel like everything was a dream, and i was so foggy i would have to stop and really think hard about simple stuff like exactly how old is my baby. that just does not seem right no matter how long i have been taking it!!!

Old 11-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

teacher2be -

I can certainly sympathize with how you were feeling on the Zoloft.
I personally think stopping it was a wise decision. My psychologist that
I was seeing at the time, said that it was like giving an already anxious person a stimulant. I don't know about you, but I have (unfortunately)
had to give up all of my caffeine, except for some occasional chocolate.
I used to LOVE to drink my tea and coffee, but when the anxiety and/or OCD hit me back in April, I had to give it up. I just couldn't tolerate the extra
stimulation. What I forgot to tell you, though, was that I had taken Zoloft years ago when I had mostly depression. I do remember the fogginess that it had caused me, but quite frankly, the depression was making me foggy-minded at the time anyway. I don't know which was worse. It was kind of like my brain was scrambled - like you mentioned, hard to think. Back then I tolerated it a little better, but maybe because I was more depressed than I was anxious. My daughter's father takes 25 mg. of Zoloft and 2 mg. of Clonapan (don't know if I'm spelling it correctly) and he does just fine on them both. Since you are a nurse, have you heard of biofeedback treatments? There should be a lot of papers, research, etc. out there on its effectiveness in treating OCD, anxiety, depression, etc. It can be used for a lot of different conditions. My therapist also treats a lot of children with ADD. I also believe very much in the power of prayer and divine healing, but that is my own personal belief system. Let me know how you do on the Lexapro. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I think you did the right thing by not continuing with the Zoloft.

danni

Old 11-19-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

i have felt soo much better since getting back on the lexapro. my mind is more clear i also have amy energy back and don't feel like a zombie all day. i feel alot better. thanks

Old 11-21-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
(female)

MountainLover HB User

Wow! I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction to it. If I'd read this thread, I don't know if I would have wanted to be on it. However, I've been on it for over a year now. I take 100 mg and was initially given it for depression. It didn't help that, but it seemed to have the benefit of me not being so easily agitated so my doctor left me on it and and added another drug for the depression. The other thing Zoloft did for me which I never told anyone about (even my doctor) was it stopped my obsessive thoughts about my health. I'm not even sure they would be classified as OCD as they were not life interfering per say. They were just in my head but sometimes they were in my head alot. I've never admitted out loud or even in writing about them to anyone, but I know the zoloft helped with those. Sorry it was such a bad experience for you. I hope that whatever you use, it is sucessful for you.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:42 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

thank you mountain lover i am so glad to be off zoloft. it was HORRIBLE for me . i am glad it works for you. the lexapro that i am back on is helping i guess. so thank you i do feel better. the zoloft i don't even have words to expain how it made me feel. it scared me to death.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:51 AM   #10
(female)

Chrispop HB User

Teacher2be,
I am a 16 year old girl and have been on zoloft for about a year now. I'm on 100mg of it for depression tho. It has been giving me the same side effects as you have described. For the past few days I have been searching the health boards to see if anyone else had the same problems on the zoloft as I had. I'm only on the med for 10 days a month but the first 2-3 days are the absloute worst. after I'm just shakey and jittery and get the chills often but that's about it. I've been on a few other meds and they gave me worse side effects. when this was happeneing my mom told me that you have to weigh the positive and negative effects. if it gives you some negative effects you don't want then it's not worth it. since I've been on the zoloft I've been telling myself to stick it out and everything too. I've been told to take the zoloft later in the evening so that I'd sleep through the nausiating *sp feelings. It's been ok but it's just kinda hard to remember to take it at certain times. anyways I think that's all I have to say.
I hope things get better for you. ^.^
chrispop

Closed Thread