It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

maclipglass HB User
WHAT IS THE BEST MEDICATION FOR PURE O? Does CBT work?

I'm have an appointment next week, and I am wondering what is the best medication for a person with pure O? I have been under alot of stress lately, and I have started obsessing about almost everything, I just want my mind to quiet down. I know I will never ever ever act out any of the thoughts that are popping into my mind, but I just want to get past this. I was doing so good, and then outta nowhere OCD has returned with a vegence. I'm starting to get depressed also. I am gonna ask the DR. for some meds. Does CBT treatment really work? I am willing to do whatever it takes to get past this.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:39 AM   #2
(female)

irishmom1 HB User
Re: WHAT IS THE BEST MEDICATION FOR PURE O? Does CBT work?

Hi,

You said it right when you said you just want your mind to quiet down. Meds will do that. They won't eliminate your O thoughts 100% but will make it more manageable and make you feel less worrysome. Nobody can give you the right med to ask for b/c everyone reacts differently to each medication. The dr will listen to your symptoms (be 100% honest and tell the dr everything) and prescribe what he/she thinks will help. He/she will want you to come back to see how you're doing on the med. Ask the dr what the side effects of the med are. As for CBT, I'm sure someone on this board will respond to you. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #3
(female)

maclipglass HB User

Thank you so much, I'm gonna be 100% honest with the DR. At first I was ashamed but I know I'm not a bad person, this is just OCD not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom1
Hi,

You said it right when you said you just want your mind to quiet down. Meds will do that. They won't eliminate your O thoughts 100% but will make it more manageable and make you feel less worrysome. Nobody can give you the right med to ask for b/c everyone reacts differently to each medication. The dr will listen to your symptoms (be 100% honest and tell the dr everything) and prescribe what he/she thinks will help. He/she will want you to come back to see how you're doing on the med. Ask the dr what the side effects of the med are. As for CBT, I'm sure someone on this board will respond to you. Good luck

Last edited by maclipglass; 12-15-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
(female)

my2babies HB User

I am taking Luvox and it has done wonders for me!!!

Old 12-15-2006, 03:19 PM   #5
(male)

tileguy HB User

I suffer from Pure O as well and tried many different medications before finding the right one. I don't think there is an easy answer to your question as different medications affect people differently, but Paxil had the best results for me (I had tried Prozac, Anafranil, Sinnequan and Luvox). CBT also helped me a great deal as my obsessions revolved around violence and innapropriate sexual behavior. The key to CBT is to expose yourself to the thoughts and to stop reacting to them with guilt, shame and anxiety. Once you learn to tolerate the thoughts you take away their power and you will find you ruminate about them less. The "bad" thoughts will never go away, yet you will learn ways to master them and not let them control you. The problem with our disorder is that we suffer from "All or nothing" thinking. If we have a thought of hurting someone, then we must be "dangerous." If we have an innapropriate sexual thought then we must be "perverted." The truth is that EVERYONE has these types of thoughts but most people simply do not mentally react to them the way we do. Good luck in therapy!

Old 12-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
(female)

maclipglass HB User

Thank you so much for all of the post in this thread. It's so comforting to know that I'm not the only person going thru this, and somebody else can actually understand the way I feel. Thanks again.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

BadMalibu HB User

Mac-

The best thing I've found to battle my OCD is a light dose of an anti-depressant or some other form of medication coupled with good thearpy. So far this is the very best method for dealing with OCD and has a good success rate.

Old 12-16-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
(male)

MackAttack HB User

My pure-o is terrible. I have violent/sexual thoughts and images that can relate to religion, family and friends. I obsessive over how my life is going to change, or whether these thoughts have scarred me, and whether I'll be able to look at religion, family and friends in a clean way. I also obsess about wishing this never happened to me, and how I am different from all my friends etc. I could never act on these thoughts, and they scare the pants off me.
Just know that you're not alone, I feel that my OCD is the worst of all. I'm scared to tell my Phsyciatrist of the things I've thought about, I just sort of give him an idea.

Oh and by the way, I just recently started on Celexa. It doesn't seem to be helping me much yet, althought it has only been about 5 days and my doctor told me it could take many different tries on different meds to help treat my obsessions.

Know that these thoughts are not your beliefs, they are usually the opposite of what you believe in. This is why they cause you so much anxiety and stress!

Last edited by MackAttack; 12-16-2006 at 09:24 AM.

Closed Thread