It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2006, 01:24 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User
if untreated, does OCD get better or worse..

Kind of curious if you chose not to treat, to pretend it wasn't there could it get worse, or hopefully maybe fade away and get better.

I know some problems snowball, is OCD like this? or is OCD more like being immature, eventually as you get older you understand more and you see how silly all your compulsions are and are wise enough to stop.

And if that is so, how old do I have to get, to get that relief...or is everyone differnt..

Some diseases of the mind can be ignored to some extent, was wondering it this was one of them.

Last edited by JustDave4now; 12-22-2006 at 01:25 PM.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User
Re: if untreated, does OCD get better or worse..

I am not sure about the answer to your question. In my case I lived with my intrusive thoughts for most of my life. I revolved my life around the thoughts, in the aspect of joining a strict sexual celebite religious cult. I also drank and used to the max, before and after the cult.

Today, I am clean and sober and finally somewhat teachable again. I have slowly seeking help to the best of my ability, and recently from this site I have had some earth shattering awakenings.

It has been a very painful, pointless, time wasting journey. There has been to many years wasted in needless reflection. And time wasted in believing that my soul was damaged beyond repair.

I don't know if OCD gets worst but it doesn't get any better, in non theraputic time. Finding the cause of my Mental Illness's and disorders has got to be part of the fight, I just wish I had done that when I was 20 instead of now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

I am not sure about the answer to your question. In my case I lived with my intrusive thoughts for most of my life. I revolved my life around the thoughts, in the aspect of joining a strict sexual celebite religious cult. I also drank and used to the max, before and after the cult.

Today, I am clean and sober and finally somewhat teachable again. I have slowly seeking help to the best of my ability, and recently from this site I have had some earth shattering awakenings.

It has been a very painful, pointless, time wasting journey. There has been to many years wasted in needless reflection. And time wasted in believing that my soul was damaged beyond repair.

I don't know if OCD gets worst but it doesn't get any better, in non theraputic time. Finding the cause of my Mental Illness's and disorders has got to be part of the fight, I just wish I had done that when I was 20 instead of now.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
(male)

farman HB User

In my own experience, I have had cycles. The 1st one occured at a very young age...but seemed to go away own its own. I have had two very powerful relapses since then, each one worse as far as intensity. This last relapse was the only one that I had enough knowledge and understanding to seek help. So far, we haven't been able to find the right medication to help yet, but even at that, I seem to be getting better through time.(relapsed in 2001) I can't financially afford to have another relapse, but at the same time, I seem to be getting better through time. So in my experience, there are cycles.

Old 12-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

I tend to agree with farman that OCD can go in cycles. I had a real bad problem with wanting to swallow all of the time in high school. I think it was OCD and I didn't know what it was back then. It simply went away/stopped and I can't say that I really know how it went away - it just did. I can also remember having other episodes - thinking about my blinking and then it just went away. I also went through a period of time where I had to pick lint off of everything and a time where I was convinced that I had a brain tumor and a heart problem. I could add other little OCD tendencies, but there are a lot of little things to list. Now I've had the lovely swallowing problem come back after many years of total recovery. What I have noticed, is that stress seems to bring them on for me. I am currently having biofeedback treatments done, which is an alternative to medication. I have definitely noticed a reduction in my anxiety, but my OCD isn't completely gone. I basically know that if I could just stop thinking about the problem, it would go away, but I think people with OCD can't simply turn to other thoughts. Keeping busy with VERY detailed work can help, though. It's as though the brain can't think about two things at once. I have faith in God that this too shall pass again for me.

danni

Old 12-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
(female)

hughley HB User

In my experience and I have been told by doctors also, that OCD gets worse when left untreated. Everyone has a different experience, but the thing is that you just don't know, and when and if it does hit you again, because you are not getting treatment, you will be vulnerable and that will make it so much more worse. I think treatment can mean meds or just behavioral therapy or both, I think it is just important to be aware...I have had it for awhile and I tried to ignore it when I got sick of all the doctors and I thought I was okay and that seemed to work, but out of nowhere, ocd would sneak up on me and pound me. I just learned and accepted that I will always have it, so I will be always be ready, you can't fight what you think is not there.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

I agree. It doesn't ever go away, but it does come and go in cycles and some are worst than others and most are set off by stress in your life. I have had OCD since a very youg child and I still have it today. I am taking 2-2.5 mg of Xanax per day for my anxiety and panic and that makes the obsessive thoughts much less disturbing. In doing this I can now meditate and practice thought control methods and at this point most of my OCD thoughts are almost humorous. I do have bad days when a particularly intrusive thought will catch me off guard, but I am so much better than before. I have been on the Xanax for about 5 mos. or so and I know I will be dependant, but I am OK with that as long as I can function at my job, and at home with my family.

Last edited by ocdengineer; 01-04-2007 at 06:17 PM.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #8
(female)

reddeka HB User

My psychiatrist said that to some degree OCD is genetic and is always going to be in you... it just manifests itself in different ways. Looking back on my life I find this to definately be true. I've gone through various obsessive compulsive behavoir, sometimes not as bad and sometimes much worse. Though I think that if untreated the OCD will never really get better... it will just maybe get repressed for a while and then come out again.

Closed Thread