It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

JustDave4now HB User
How much does your OCD affect your life?

I once read somewhere that a mental illness only is considered a true disorder if it impacts a persons life in a noticable way. In other words, unless it interferes with the day to day, it is considered a quirk everyone gets at some time.

Do you think OCD is like this..Do you think there is an a OCD scale of some sort?

Do you think everyone gets a little OCD, but other people get a lot.

I have ingrained my habbits so deeply into my routine that they have become almost reflexes and the impact on my life is very small. True I mumble a small prayer every day as the thoughts come in and banish them. There are other small things here and there, but I am very under the radar.

My wife disagree's, but I think I would know myself a bit better, or at least I hope so. I love the woman, but she tends to exagerate a bit when it comes to my odd habbits.

But the point is I guess, do you think some of us sort of it out on our own, or at least, maybe heal in some way. Maybe OCD isn't perminent, not sure.

I am not the OCD person I was in my teens, where it was fierce. Got better in my twenties, had a bit of a nasty slip in my thirties but now in my forties, most of my ducks are in a row. True I have gone and faced them all in the same direction, but hey...at least there in a row.

If I gave a number of OCD in my Teens I would put it at 9 on a scale one to ten, but today, I would be hard pressed to score a 3.

Its hopeful at least..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
(female)

MissyS HB User
Re: How much does your OCD affect your life?

From what I know, OCD waxes and wanes, comes and goes, or as I say it "spikes". When it spikes is when you gauge how life interfering it is or how often it affects your life. When it's in "remission" it's hard to say how it affects your life.

I'm glad you're feeling so well now! Congrats!

Old 01-01-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Maybe some can't see it, or maybe some don't experience it, but for me OCD impacts my life because it uses up huge chunks of time--like a full time job. No wonder I'm so tired all the time--with a real full time job, a family, a volunteer job that's pretty close to a full time job, AND my OCD habits.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:01 AM   #4
(female)

KGP109 HB User

Will You Talk With Me About My Boyfriend With Ocd? We've Been Together 5 Yrs. He Is 41. He Was Always A Fearful, Sensitve Child And Developed Compulsions To Do Rituals To Prevent Various Bad Events From Happening. I Think The Ocd Caused Him To Become Angry In His 20's That Dealing With This Was His Fate. And In His 30's He Became Even More Bitter. He Has Allowed Himself To Do Things He Is Not Proud Of Out Of This Bitterness And Anger. For Example, Take Advantage Of His Parent's..alowing Them To Provide For Some Financial Support, Allowing Them To Clean His Apartment...etc And He Has Taken Advantage Of Friends And Girlfriends In This Way... I Think He Feels Entitled Since God Has Dealt Him Such A Raw Deal With Ocd.

Now, In His 40's He Feels Remorse For How He's Lived His Life. He Is More Aware Than Ever Of How His Bitterness And Anger Has Been His License To Treat Others Badly And He Truly Wants To Change.
He Has Begun To Get More Control Over The Ocd And He Is Doing Better, But, Patterns Can Be Very
Engrained At His Age. He Works Long Hours At A Low Paying Job Even Though He Is Very Intelligent. He Never Could Make It Through College In His 20's.. But He Wants To Go Back Now For A Degree. He Has The Obstacle Of The Ocd To Deal With Still And Now Also, His Parents Have Lost Faith In Him And May Not Helf Him Financially To Go To School Til He Proves He Is Serious, The Money
And Time For School Are An Issue.

Is There Hope For Him. He Is A Very Caring Compassionate Person. He Wants To Go To Nursing School And Work With Disabled Veterans. Advice?

Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
(male)

bachiach HB User

These are maybe about 30% of my worries throughout the day.

Germs, dust, filth, clutter, disorganization, illness, bacteria, people, anything not clean, any type of surface that for some reason is sticky.

Restaurants that don't have straws already in wrappers, crowded areas, carpets that area not vacuumed, dust on TV screens, windows that have streaks, the fog that builds up on car windows, the inability to keep things clean.

People that try and talk right into your face, people that sneeze and don't turn their head or cover their disgusting mouth. People that want to shake your hand. People that feel its necessary that they touch you, for any reason. Sealing and opening envelopes.

Opening doors. Running out of anti bacterial gel. Cigarette smoke. Getting a beverage that isn’t in a sealed container. Using gas pumps. Shoelaces that are wet for whatever reason. Sinks that have food particles along the sidewalls or in the strainers. Anything chrome that is smudged. People that serve food that do not wear gloves.

Anytime my hands are not totally clean. Anything in stores that are in the first row of the display. Handling money. People that can’t wait 2 ****in minutes till I’m done looking at something. Workers in bakeries that wipe their noses with their hand. Neighbors having to talk to you everytime you walk out the ****in door. Door handles that are smudged. Having to deal with any type of society. Person to person contact. The disgusting content on the ear piece of every phone you use. Chairs our of alignment. Pictures that are not straight on the wall.

People that have opinions but never want to hear anyone else’s. People who think their opinions are facts. People who are nice to your face and talk **** when your not around. People around the holiday’s. People who have to pull out in front of you, when there is no one in sight behind your, and then drive 10 mph less than the speed limit. People in general.

My leg hurts so it has to be Restless Leg Syndrome. Every little thing that is out of the ordinary becomes a disease or a disorder.

GEORGE BUSH and his V.P.
This countries attitude on health care.

I think that’s all for now.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

bachiach,
I can relate to most of that...well, all of that.
In California I used to drive through the Taco Bell, but in Illinois the Taco Bell chain doesn't have their employees wear gloves, so I don't eat their food anymore. Probably a good thing in other ways too.

I hope you don't mind me telling you that your post made me smile.

Okay, until I got a terrible cramp in my left foot, but that's okay -- I just took my evening Requip (for RLS) and it will be better now.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #7
(male)

bachiach HB User

Don't mind you telling me at all. Try Wendy's, they wear gloves.

Yeah, I had a hang nail the other week and here thats a syndrome to.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
(female)

meirocco HB User

90% of my day is taken up by thoughts. I don't do certain things that might make them even worse. I lost my last job due to it, depression, and anxiety. I fight with my husband over it. I cry over it, i often think suicide because of it (although i would not actually do it, because of my children) So, it is safe to say that at this point it rules my entire life.

Closed Thread