It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User
Pure O and Nightmares

I have Pure obsessive thoughts of anything horrible I can think of. Through medication (Xanax) and meditation I have had a better time of it lately. In fact, for the last 6 months I can almost say I am in remission from the OCD.

The only thing that gets me are nightmares. I don't have nightmares every night or anything, but when I do they are really disturbing to the point where I have a hard time not obsessing about them throughout the day. Anyone else have nightmares that can wreck a day or two? LOL.

I took some cold medication before bed last night and I am sure that played a part, but I had nightmares all night. In the past cold medicine has done similar things and caused me to have vivid nightmares, however, sometimes I have nightmares with no medicine.

Everytime I was asleep it was a different horrible nightmare last night. I woke up feeling really unsatisfied about my sleep and weirded out about the crap that hangs out in my subconsciousness. I will meditate this morning and probably feel better by noon. I am just curious if this is a battle others fight as well or is it just me?

One other thing. Almost all of my nightmares can be traced to something I said or did or saw the previous week. For instance I saw a commercial for a horror movie last night about a serial killer that definitely influenced one of my dreams, and I had a dream about my wife leaving me and that stems from another post that I answered this week. Anyway, all of these thoughts come together in the worst possible way every once and awhile and it really sucks. I can't use any coping mechanisms while I am asleep, so it is really tough to get through these.

Thanks ahead of time for your responses,
OE

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User
Re: Pure O and Nightmares

I have nightmares but nothing to the extent of yours. I have two basic nightmares that happen; first, there are the old AA drinking/using dreams. These terrify me and they get very intricate.

Some of these become continuation of dreams or dreams within dreams. The dreams within dreams are bad because I dream that I dream that I used some drugs or drink. Then I wake up in the second dream and it is all true. I then dream of living a life of an addict/alcoholic stuck in the cycle of a living death.

My other nightmares, which do not happen often, are my wife leaves me, or she cheats on me and no longer cares for me. A while back, I could feel my night terrors coming back but I pushed them away.

I haven’t had monster dreams in a very long time but I am a Steven King, Dean Koontz fan, I have read all their books and seen all their movies. I have stopped watching other horror shows because they are so predictable.

The last movie that really scared me was either the Ring or Final Destiny 1. Chop them up movies really get me sick but Cape Fear put me over the edge.

I like things like "Night at the Museum" that was great. I am also changing my reading habits towards detective novels or psychological thrillers. My favorite writer is Jonathan Kellerman.

My favorite Steven King movie is either "It" or "Storm of the Century" both take days to watch. My favorite Koontz book is "Odd Thomas", which is more friendly then scary and it just had the third book called "Brother Thomas" which just came out.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

I have also read a lot of Steven King and Clive Barker books. They scared me when I was younger, but I liked it. Now I can hardly watch anything with a psychological twist too it without having nightmares or anxiety. Horror movies of monsters and demons don't bother me, but psychological thrillers really get to me. Anyway, just curious. I am OK, but curious to see if anyone else has nightmares.

Your using dream also reminded me of a dream I had as well. It was just me sitting at a table with no furniture in a room that was empty and everything was white and I was snorting coke. That was the whole dream and it had a profound effect on me. Needless to say I never dabbled in any drugs at all again after that. In fact a couple years later I quit smoking and drinking as well. Not as result of that dream, but due to its effect on my anxiety.

Well, just curious. Anyone else?

Old 01-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I was tormented by nightmares throughout childhood.
I couldn't read Nancy Drew mysteries because the covers of the books were too scary.
As an adult I got in the habit of going to bed late so it would be light out if I woke up with a bad dream. This contributed to the habit of daytime napping.
Lately I've been having nightmares again, and I think it's due to one or more medications.
Mostly they are about animals and babies.
After starting one new medication I dreamt someone was attacking me, then dreamt I woke up and it was still happening, then actually screamed out loud.
Those dreams within dreams can be killers. But it depends upon whether it's a scary dream or a pleasant one. Dreams within dreams of nice dreams are cool.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

I have countless dreams, almost all I can't remember, but no variations of dreams with pleasant dreams.

I think I have more nightmares than pleasant dreams.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
(male)

tileguy HB User

I have bad dreams, but within one to two days I am no longer able to remember them. Not just the bad dreams, but the good one's as well. It's weird because my memory is quite well outside of the dreamworld.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

My memory is really bad. But then I take LitherDum.

I have a twisted memory when it comes to ruminating, but my memory has to be slanted to my disadvantage or I wouldn't be ruminating all the time.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

I am the same way about remebering dreams. They will bother me if they are bad dreams for a day or two, but then I forget about it and I am on to the next nights sleep. I don't dream very often, that I remember, but when I do, it is usually bad or a jumbled mess of random events and thoughts. I don't mind the latter, it is the bad dreams that get to me and really make life difficult for a day or so. I do, however, remember the dreams later and look back on them as if they were nothing to get all upset about it, but at the time, it isn't as easy to dismiss. It is interesting what dreams can tell you. I have a lot of jumbled dreams that are collages(sp) of my previous week all put together in a weird storyline. Those are kind of interesting to think about and usually help me identify points of stress and what not, but the bad dreams are usualy straight up bad and cause major anxiety for a day. Anyway, I am just curious to see if anyone else has expereienced that and it looks like others have to some degree anyway.

Later,
OE

Old 01-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
(female)

MissyS HB User

I know the feeling... It sucks to wake up after a horrible dream and have that anxious feeling in the pit of your stomach and the beating of your heart... blah.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

I guess on this one you just have to learn to roll with the punches. I have noticed that when I take cold medicine before bed or allergy meds that I have a better chance of having a nightmare. That is not an obsession, just and observation, so there may be a connection there.

Closed Thread