It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #1
(male)

nicechap HB User
I have had an idea and it seems to be working

Hello,

I just wanted to share with you a notion which I think will be of great benefit to you, as it so far has been to me. I don't have any compulsions, just obsessive thoughts - pure-o I do believe people call it. Anyway, I have struggled with my thoughts for about 8 months and have, in that time, tried a variety of methods for coping.

First, a little bit about what exactly my version of OCD is like. I am scared about thoughts which strike me as unusual or b izarre - for example, thinking 'bananatroplis' when someone asks me how my day was. Or, more mundanely, thinking something plain old disgusing like 'I want to trip that man up' or, at least, they used to bother me, so far, using my new thing, they don't.

So, what is it? This thing?

You will have heard, if you have OCD and are inquisitive (most are) a vast panoply of strategies or techniques for overcoming OCD. I have tried many of them, for example, turning an obsessive thought into a comical one. Or distraction. However, I have now stumbled upon a way of thinking which is a great relief. When you have an obsessive thought: do nothing. Absolutely nothing. Do not do anything, it will be there, in your mind, but just leave it. Don't try and distract yourself or reason with it, because these make you think about your thought and, as Montaigne said, 'Nothing fixes something in the memory so intensely as the wish to forget it'. So, try it now, have a thought which you know would normally trouble you, let it come, let it sit, but don't take any positive action - become a detached observer of your thoughts. Once you have done this, you will feel empowered, I assure you. That is how I felt once I realised that I could just sit and let my thoughts wash over me, and whatever they were, I would take no action, and that way they would become meaningless. But don't try and make them meaningless, just become detached, completely removed, and do nothing!

I should say that I have only been doing this for a couple of days but I already feel much more in control of my life, and, joyfully, I no longer feel that for the rest of my life I will be blighted by my confusing affliction that is (soon maybe was) my OCD.

Do tell me what you think and how you find it. I hope it goes well for you.

Last edited by nicechap; 01-08-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User
Re: I have had an idea and it seems to be working

Nicechap,

Man, you have got it! Here is what I do every morning. I sit for about 15 minutes to 30 minutes and just let my thoughts go. It is amazing to see what crap and useless stuff pops into your head. For instance, one minute I will be thinking of work, then wife and kids, then trees, then random acts of violance etc. You know how it works. Your brain will do this constantly and throw all of these thoughts at you. The problem with Pure O, which I have also, is that it sometimes throws you very disturbing thoughts and inopertune moments. For instance you will see a knife and a thought of stabbing someone will occur. This gets your adrenaline going and soon you are in an anxious state and panic attacks can follow. Point is, when you are sitting, sometimes these wacky thoughts will pop into your head and since you are sitting there purposefully to allow these thoughts to come in and out of your head without attaching any meaning to them at all, when that bad thought comes you are able to just see it for what it is, crap, and let it go without getting upset or wanting it to leave etc.

You should do some research on Buddhist Meditation. If you are Christian or any other religion, don't worry the part that works is the Mindfulness Meditation and it doesn't conflict at all with any other religion. It just so happens to be exactly what you are doing. It is great to find someone who stumbled onto the same thing I have been doing. I would suggest you take it a step further and sit for awhile before work and meditate which is just practice doing what you have already learned. I hardly have problems with the intrusive thougths anymore unless I am really stressed and off my game because I can usually do exactly what you said. Just let it come into my head without getting upset and let it go without trying to force it.

As you have probably discovered, it is really hard to purposely get yourself worked up over a thought now. The ones that have the anxiety inducing effect are the ones that catch you off guard, but with practice, you will always be on guard and should be able to practice your technique to stop the thought from causing you anxiety. Eventually the thoughts will slowly start coming less and less, but remember to always keep up your game, because the miute you let your guard down you'll get caught. OCD is tricky that way.

Awesome man! Keep doing it and keep posting your results. Seriously look up Mindfulness Meditation on the inet and practice your technique. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good you can get at this technique and how great it works for Pure O.

Take care,
OE

Old 01-09-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
(male)

nicechap HB User

Thank-you for replying! I was getting a little bored! Meditation sounds interesting, previously I only thought it was good for enabling you to sleep less, but now this! At the moment, I don't see what I do as meditation because I do it all time, as if I have changed my mental outlook. But I like the idea of just sitting and doing it on consciously and very on purpose, watching my thoughts like clouds, drifting lazily past me! Oh how exciting. I will continue to monitor my situation over the next few days, but progressively I feel like I am getting better. Oh and good luck my friend, although it sounds like you are doing well yourself, but to the rest of you out there just remember, there is hope for us all yet!

What a rambling post...take care and I want more replies so if you have any comments or thoughts, do please write away!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:29 AM   #4
(male)

nicechap HB User

Thank-you for replying! I was getting a little bored! Meditation sounds interesting, previously I only thought it was good for enabling you to sleep less, but now this! At the moment, I don't see what I do as meditation because I do it all time, as if I have changed my mental outlook. But I like the idea of just sitting and doing it on consciously and very on purpose, watching my thoughts like clouds, drifting lazily past me! Oh how exciting. I will continue to monitor my situation over the next few days, but progressively I feel like I am getting better. Oh and good luck my friend, although it sounds like you are doing well yourself, but to the rest of you out there just remember, there is hope for us all yet!

What a rambling post...take care and I want more replies so if you have any comments or thoughts, do please write away!

Old 01-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
(male)

moviefan5000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicechap
First, a little bit about what exactly my version of OCD is like. I am scared about thoughts which strike me as unusual or b izarre - for example, thinking 'bananatroplis' when someone asks me how my day was.
well if it makes you feel any better about this particular one. It would just absolutley make my day if someone said that to me. Sounds like that one is just a good imagination and great sense of humor. I say things like that on purpose all day long, you had a good one. Your idea is what my therapist has told me to do and is something I actively try. Your on the right track and I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Does this help if you have repetitive thoughts (not bad thoughts) and actions?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
(male)

nicechap HB User

Of course it would help with repetitive thoughts. As long as it an obsession. By repetitive do you mean counting or similar? As to actions I have no clue in the world because, as I said, I don't have compulsions... to do anything, really *laughs* I have repetitive thoughts at times and, to be quite frank, I find the recurring aspect quite frightening, you can feel quite trapped and unable to escape. But I'm stilll going strong with my new mental outlook which has helped me greatly so far, and every day is a step closer, as I see it, to having complete release.

Last edited by nicechap; 01-10-2007 at 02:06 PM.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

By repetitive, i mean going to do something while thinking of something (not a bad thought), then thinking, 'Oh let me do that again' and going back and doing the same thing again, while thinking the same thing as you did the first time. Sometimes repeating it more than twice. Also, watching TV and going over certain scenes of the programme in your head, instead of just watching it and forgetting about it. You know how you feel like you have to remember everything?

I've always had OCD since i was little. But back then it was just being a perfectionist, putting things in order etc. Now it's the repetitive thoughts and actions, but it comes and goes. It's worse right now than it's ever been. But usually it just stops overnight and i don't realize it's stopped at first and then i think 'Hey, i've stopped doing it!' I can't even work out why i do it. No one knows i have it, i've never told anyone.

So how would it help me if it's not a bad thought i'm having? You say you have the thought and just forget about it. How can i forget about it when i just keep repeating it? I was trying to stop myself from doing it yesterday by telling myself it was pointless and i don't want to waste my time doing it and it worked for a few hours, but then it started up again.

Last edited by Shakira; 01-10-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

ocdengineer HB User

Mindfulness meditation will help you to train your mind to deal with the thoughts properly. We all have weird, bad and repetitve thoughts. Unfortunately, some of us notice them more and tned to make a bigger deal out of them. I am one of those people. Anyway, do some research on the mindfulness meditation and practice. It is very hard to have your obsessive thought and allow it to go without placing any importance on it at all, so don't expect this to be easy, but it will help you dramatically in the end.

Good luck,
OE

Old 01-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Shakira HB User

Thank you.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

The idea of letting your thoughts go without 'fighting them' or battling with them is what Bronwyn Fox advises in her book 'Power over Panic'. Just let it go through. Accept that it's happening and let it pass by. Sometimes, obviously, it's easier than others.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:34 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

That is sort of like CBT. I have mainly mental obsessions but I also have compulsions, not that many though.. do you know that you can have mental obsessions and mental compulsions.. I have both. CBT sort of makes you think the thought is real and you have to believe the thought is real and not try to dismiss it... it does work. I am glad that you have found something that works for you because OCD can be extremely disabeling at times, so I am very happy for you. People who don't have OCD can't really relate to things so it is very hard for them to not understnad why we can't just let go of a thought. I try to explain it as a song stuck in your head or a record skipping and repeating the words... annoying and frustrating and anxiety ridden...

Closed Thread