HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/)
-   -   OCD/"Mouth" Noises (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/482027-ocd-mouth-noises.html)

SMer 03-18-2007 10:33 PM

OCD/"Mouth" Noises

So, as I've seen recently from searching the board, I'm not the only one here who has a problem with the sounds people make with their mouths; I also find that just as commonly, people link this to OCD.

I'm pretty sure that what first triggered this or the time I first realized I had this problem was when my dad was chewing gum in the car. The problem steadily expanded over the period of about 3 to 4 years. It soon became an issue of being irritated by the noise of eating and just the noises of the mouth in general. I also soon developed an irritation of things that I could relate to these noises such as the clinking of silverware against plates, the sudden movement of someone's jaw, etc. This has not only effected me at home. Often times I fear traveling via public transportation because of people who might cause me to become irritated.

Now I find that whenever I become irritated, I can't help but picture inflicting pain upon the one(s) causing the irritation. For example, just recently at my aunt and uncle's house, I was on the upper floor with my cousin and I happened to catch a glimpse of my dad coming up the stairs to remind me we were about to leave. Surely enough there he was chewing gum in his usual emphatic manner. In the split second I happened to see him chewing, I had such an intense impulse to run down the stairs and sock him in the mouth that I'm surprised he is not suffering from some kind of jaw injury today. I still remember it clear as a whistle today and will probably have a hard time ever forgetting images like this. Among those images and impulses, I also find that I have a very hard time trying rid my mind of thoughts about why it happens in the first place or what will happen to me in the future if I cannot overcome this problem. And as you can assume, it affects my relationship with my family and seldom times my friends (all of whom I cannot imagine living without). Also, I find that I have trouble listening to certain peoples' voices rather than the noise caused by the combination of fluid in the mouth and the movement of the mouth, which is affecting me to the point where I can hardly stand being less than 15ft from my mom and get anxious every time I hear a voice on the radio rather than music.

This leaves me with some questions:

1)Is there any medicinal or psychotherapeutic treatment for it?
2)With the mental instability (or so I think it is) caused by the irritation, is it possible I might not be able to get over this problem to the point where my anxiety goes away?

hjjasnell 03-19-2007 09:33 AM

Re: OCD/"Mouth" Noises

I'd don't have any answers to your questions just wanted to let you know...I suffer from this as well. I get so extremely irritated and agitated that I have to leave for fear of truly hurting someone. I have found myself screaming at people to just shut up and stop making noises when no one else can hear them but me. I'd love to see other responses to this. But you're not alone in this!

SMer 03-19-2007 02:24 PM

Thanks. Yeah I wish it would just go away. And it can't be that no one else hears it. I think some people just subconciously tune the sounds out. Also, what about other little sounds? Like when someone's cell phone goes off quietly? I was at a restaurant with my family and my sister's phone started ringing from inside her purse (I'm the only one in my family with the problem) and both my dad and I heard it ringing, so I mean it can't be that no one hears it.

BabyHope8179 03-31-2007 08:47 PM

Hello, I've been disgnosis with OCD sense teenage years I'm 25 now..I have had this problem and it seem to fade a little over the time and the new obsessions and compulsions set in..but as time went by when I was getting better I took a turn for the worst now most of the OCD sysmptons i've had in the past have return pretty strong the noise irritation is of OCD...I recieve CBT for this I've been with my therapist sense 2004..I recently told him about this again and he said the reason for it is...I'm hyper- senstive when OCD is in high gear it mess with our sense, smell, touch factor..its phycological..but OCD is in our brain effecting our normal funionting.. I can hear people eat and that will irritated me highly and i snap at them when they are just eating..

It does distrub me..I don't know how to defeat that or this aweful illness at all...I'm just hoping relief will come fast and will last long term..

I'm new here, but was a member while back.. just havent post in a while have a new screen name..I can relate and have issues with many topics of message boards on the healthboards....I mainly struggle with the hardest part of OCD for me personally is scrulopsiy ( cant spell ) religion part of the OCD and im tormented by it because of my natural faith in Jesus...it controls ever aspect of my life..my focus.. my everything.. and its dark in this world and I've been trapped in this world sense i was a little girl it only gets worst without help.. and now i recieve some help it still is hard..

OCD is like a live breathing thing its my enmie and it wants to take my life.. and I'm trying to fight this its the hardest battle I've never undergo in my whole time being alive...and It's sad and scary place and I hate it im also have major depression great combination NOT!!! how can i not feel depressed ? when im being messed with my OCD pretty much from the time i open my eyes until the time i fall sleep not the time i shut them because intrusive thoughts can keep me wake too... its a hateful game my mind is playing with me and its called OCD

I'm only 25 and im very bitter because of dealing non stop with OCD...I know you all understand as well... well i know i didnt help..but i hope maybe there is a chance I did.. please forgive me for sounding bitter.. God bless u all thru this tials of OCD (( hugs )) please all fo you hang in there

BabyHope8179 03-31-2007 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=BabyHope8179;2895122]Hello, I've been disgnosis with OCD sense teenage years I'm 25 now..I have had this problem and it seem to fade a little over the time and the new obsessions and compulsions set in..but as time went by when I was getting better I took a turn for the worst now most of the OCD sysmptons i've had in the past have return pretty strong the noise irritation is of OCD...I recieve CBT for this I've been with my therapist sense 2004..I recently told him about this again and he said the reason for it is...I'm hyper- senstive when OCD is in high gear it mess with our sense, smell, touch factor..its phycological..but OCD is in our brain effecting our normal funionting.. I can hear people eat and that will irritated me highly and i snap at them when they are just eating..

It does distrub me..I don't know how to defeat that or this aweful illness at all...I'm just hoping relief will come fast and will last long term..

I'm new here, but was a member while back.. just havent post in a while have a new screen name..I can relate and have issues with many topics of message boards on the healthboards....I mainly struggle with the hardest part of OCD for me personally is scrulopsiy ( cant spell ) religion part of the OCD and im tormented by it because of my natural faith in Jesus...it controls ever aspect of my life..my focus.. my everything.. and its dark in this world and I've been trapped in this world sense i was a little girl it only gets worst without help.. and now i recieve some help it still is hard..

OCD is like a live breathing thing its my enmie and it wants to take my life.. and I'm trying to fight this its the hardest battle I've never undergo in my whole time being alive...and It's sad and scary place and I hate it im also have major depression great combination NOT!!! how can i not feel depressed ? when im being messed with my OCD pretty much from the time i open my eyes until the time i fall sleep not the time i shut them because intrusive thoughts can keep me wake too... its a hateful game my mind is playing with me and its called OCD

I'm only 25 and im very bitter because of dealing non stop with OCD...I know you all understand as well... well i know i didnt help..but i hope maybe there is a chance I did.. please forgive me for sounding bitter.. God bless u all thru this tials of OCD (( hugs )) please all fo you hang in there[/QUOTE]

My therapist calls this Hypersenstivity.. it is connected to this OCD.....is what I was trying to say..

plainjayne 04-10-2007 07:05 AM

i dont have ocd but i have problems with things like that like chewing gum tapping fingers or something stupid like breathing too loud! i have an immense urge to punch some people who do this as it just makes me so wound up and i feel like one day i wont be able to keep control of my fist!

plainjayne 04-10-2007 07:05 AM

i dont have ocd but i have problems with things like that like chewing gum tapping fingers or something stupid like breathing too loud! i have an immense urge to punch some people who do this as it just makes me so wound up and i feel like one day i wont be able to keep control of my fist!

jtomlinson 04-11-2007 10:40 AM

I am glad that I am not the only one who suffers from this.

Like many, I can relate this 'disorder' to my father, who used to chew gum loudly in the car and I would be stuck with the sound for hours and couldn't do a thing about it.

Now, as an adult of 32, I STILL find myself enraged to the point of wanting to put my fist through the offender's mouth. What irks me is the following:

People chewing gum - the sound and the look of someone's mouth rhythemically chewing the offending wad. So many people chew gum and it irritates the hell out of me. It annoys me to even think of it. I see it mostly in mall, the gym and people in their cars.

People eating - there is this woman that I work in close quarters with and she is a very loud eater. During her noshes, she also sucks her teeth and makes lip smacking sounds. I literally want to reach over and duct tape her mouth shut. It really puts me in a bad mood.

I really need help with this problem. I tell a few people at work about it and they tell me to let it roll off my shoulders. Easier said than done.

Another think that bugs me is coughing. Another thing my father used to do incessantly. Also, sniffing, sniffling, sneezing, finger tapping (this woman also does this when she's working on something and pausing to "think"), keyboard clicking, the sounds of certain people's voices (mostly high pitch female voices), sharp phone rings.

Is this OCD or sound sensitivity. If so, why do I get these violent urges to hurt someone? Please explain!!!

Weedso2k5 04-16-2007 11:13 PM

[QUOTE=jtomlinson;2914945]

People eating - there is this woman that I work in close quarters with and she is a very loud eater. During her noshes, she also sucks her teeth and makes lip smacking sounds. I literally want to reach over and duct tape her mouth shut. It really puts me in a bad mood.

I really need help with this problem. I tell a few people at work about it and they tell me to let it roll off my shoulders. Easier said than done.

Another think that bugs me is coughing. Another thing my father used to do incessantly. Also, sniffing, sniffling, sneezing, finger tapping (this woman also does this when she's working on something and pausing to "think"), keyboard clicking, the sounds of certain people's voices (mostly high pitch female voices), sharp phone rings.

Is this OCD or sound sensitivity. If so, why do I get these violent urges to hurt someone? Please explain!!![/QUOTE]

i am exactly like this too! but am i the only one who does the finger tapping/eating loud/sniffing and snuffling myself,(i do it all the time) but not get irrated by myself doing it? its only when other people do it...:confused: and i too fear very much that i will one say hurt someone becuase of it.. maybe kill?? this is what goes through my head and i think ive been misdiagnosed with depression, when it might also be a mix of mild depression (due to losses) and OCD as well as anxiety which makes the depression seem worse than it is.....