It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
(female)

findingbalance HB User
Input on intrusive thoughts

New the boards and was diagnosed with depression many years ago. It went away for a while and now is back. this time I keep getting what sounds like intrusive thoughts. Can anyone give me some background on intrusive thoughts?

Old 04-22-2007, 08:02 AM   #2
(female)

Doglover5 HB User
Re: Input on intrusive thoughts

From what I understand, intrusive thoughts vary from person to person. It can be about anything. I think it's a little different than obsessions, because with obsessions your mind latches on to something and can't let it go, while intrusive thoughts can come and go. For instance, the intrusive thoughts I get tend to deal with God--like, I'll be in the middle of a prayer and I'll suddenly get a bad thought about someone I love or even a bad thought about God Himself. The only way that I deal with the anxiety that brings is to say "I'm sorry, please forgive my negative thoughts" over and over. This happens several times a day, and it doesn't even always occur in the middle of a prayer. Something as simple as driving past a church can bring about a negative thought. It's very disheartening for me, because I am a Christian and I hate thinking bad thoughts that I don't mean. First comes the bad thought, then the anxiety, then the fear that since I thought something bad, it will come true (I think clinicians call that "magical thinking"). I know that God understands, but it's still awful. I am not on medication right now, but I have found in the past that SSRI's seem to help me with intrusive thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2007, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

Doglover5 wow you sound alot like me. everytime these negative thoughts come in my head which is alot during day i feel like i have to pray and ask for forgiveness for thinking these thoughts even though its not really me thinking these thoughts. i read somewhere that that is also a common compulsion with the ocd is ritual prayers or something like that. i have read that alot of people say ignore the thoguhts when they come in your mind but i feel so guilty about it i feel like i constantly have to ask for forgiveness i guess that is the ocd part of it.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
(female)

Doglover5 HB User

Teacher - Yeah, it is definitely hard to ignore the negative thoughts. I have found that if I keep myself busy, they stay away for the most part. It's when I have downtime (like when I'm not at work) that they come pouring in. It's very hard to let them go and fight the urge to give in to the ritualistic praying, but I've heard it can be done. It just takes practice.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:49 PM   #5
(female)

Aileen7 HB User

You might try learning how to counter your thoughts in a tea form or join a cbt group. This is what worked for my anxiety and depression. I was never diagnosed as ocd but I was a bit more obsessive than most people and we had a few people in my cbt group who had pretty severe ocd and it helped them.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

Obsessive thoughts are no fun - I understand totally about your mind latching onto something and it's as though it just can't let go of the thought. It's SO frustrating. I focus on my swallowing sometimes and it drives me absolutely nutso! I had this problem back in high school and then I just sort of outgrew it. I had many years without these crazy thoughts, but I think I've always had "forms" of ocd i.e. hating ticking clocks, checking stove knobs, etc., but things like that never really bothered me. Well, after I was under stress last year, the swallowing "obsession" came back. I don't know that it's your "classic" ocd obsession/compulsion, although I have seen it listed in some books as a rarer form of ocd. Anyway, can someone please explain to me how to use the cbt or tea form of therapy to help combat these obsessive thoughts? Is there a good book to read? I'm in therapy and I've also had several sessions of biofeedback to help retrain my brain. It worked excellent for me to combat my anxiety, but the OCD is more stubborn. It's hard to say what's going on with me - have run into others on the healthboards with a similar problem such as myself. At first I thought that it was just anxiety and stress, but now I'm not so sure? I have also read posts where people get fixated on their mouth or tongue, etc. I welcome any comments or suggestions. I really don't want to be medicated until I absolutely have to be. Has anyone had their OCD effect their social life, where they don't want to be around people as much? It's as though it's hard to enjoy life, because you're always in your head with these crazy thoughts.

Thanks so much!

danni

Old 04-23-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
(female)

lauren c. HB User

New to board, nice meeting all of you.

I don't think I have intrusive thoughts as much as LOOPING thoughts. The thoughts can be counting, song lyrics, part of a conversation, a random phrase caught in my head. But it's CONSTANT! It NEVER shuts off. If I'm involved in any kind of activity I don't "hear" it, but it's there. As soon as the conversation/T.V./work assignment is over I can "hear" the thoughts again.

The thoughts aren't negative, just constant. I've been treated for depression/bi-polar for 15 years and these thoughts just started this past October. Is this really OCD or some other brain "snafu"? So far Prozac and Cymbalta have not given me any relief. Please help!!

Last edited by lauren c.; 04-23-2007 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling check

Old 04-23-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
(female)

Aileen7 HB User

Lauren that sounds different than what most of my thought problems were so I am not sure my advice applies to you. Those drugs you mentioned that are not working are anti depressants and you may need something more along the lines of what bi-polar people take but I am just speculating on that. I hope you find something that helps you.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #9
(male)

WorldInMotion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren c. View Post
New to board, nice meeting all of you.

I don't think I have intrusive thoughts as much as LOOPING thoughts. The thoughts can be counting, song lyrics, part of a conversation, a random phrase caught in my head. But it's CONSTANT! It NEVER shuts off. If I'm involved in any kind of activity I don't "hear" it, but it's there. As soon as the conversation/T.V./work assignment is over I can "hear" the thoughts again.

The thoughts aren't negative, just constant. I've been treated for depression/bi-polar for 15 years and these thoughts just started this past October. Is this really OCD or some other brain "snafu"? So far Prozac and Cymbalta have not given me any relief. Please help!!

I can relate. For my whole life even way before I had any type of anxiety that actually made me worry or panic I always had random song lyrics, certain words, some in english, some in spanish, or images that would just randomly pop into my mind. I always dismissed them as they were midly annoying but I find myself in the past couple years getting very frustrated with it. For me, it usually comes in strongest and most irritable before going to bed at night. When i used to have anxiety attacks they;d usually start with one of those looping thoughts and it would drive me nuts until it settled. I have never taken any medication. From what you describe, it is prolly a mild (though frustrating) sympton of OCD.I have it, and I have been diagnosed with underlying anxiety and a mild (but annoying) case of OCD. The best thing to do when you get these thoughts is literally don;t resist them, and ride them out..they usually don;t come back as frequently or as powerful if you don't try to neutralize them. As much as it sucks, try to laugh them off.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #10
(female)

lauren c. HB User

Thank you for your replies.

Aileen7,

Just to clarify, the meds I mentioned have been successful at reducing or completly blocking the symptoms of OCD, which is why my doc tried them on me. I've been on meds for dep/bi-pol/mood "stablizing" in some sort of combination or another since 1993. As I originally stated, this new "symptom" decided to visit my mind in October (2006) and has more than overstayed it's welcome!

WorldInMotion,

I'm glad to hear you experience some relief from your thoughts. My thoughts NEVER stop!! Think of a never-ending broken record that skips from song to song at random times, but DOES NOT stop...EVER. The thoughts speed up when I'm frustrated, and return to "normal speed" and pretty much talk me to sleep every night. I wonder if it's lonely while I sleep and my thoughts have no one to "think" to

In any case, thank you again for your comments. If you ever hear of anything like this again, please please please let me know! I do feel alone in this

lauren

Old 04-24-2007, 06:20 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

hergy HB User

Lauren,

You're not alone. Just as there are endless personality types, there are endless ways in which OCD and instrusive thoughts can manifest themselves.

I have Bipolar I, OCD and PTSD. It seems that the 3 problems chase each other round and round in my head. One triggers another which triggers another.

Recently, I was committed to a psychiatric hospital for instrusive suicidal thoughts. People with depression often have thoughts of death that travel throughout their minds. But I began to feel as if I HAVE to kill myself. The thought had intruded and rooted itself.

Though I have weighty mental and emotional troubles, I still don't want to be dead. But my self control over my compulsions began to slip.

The circle of instrusive and obsessive thoughts spins constantly in my head. I feel for your situation. Often, when I lay my head down at night, I wish I could hold my head in my hands to stop my mind from spinning, at least long enough for me to get to sleep.

My doctor recently increased my dosage of Zoloft, used to treat my depression and OCD. This is risky since I'm Bipolar. Anti-depressants often cause 'manic' episodes. The effects of the extra dose have yet to kick in, but I'm hopeful.

Hang in there. Those thoughts that force their way inside you can leave you feeling powerless. You're not powerless. Always keep your doctor informed about how things are going so that you can get the best and most appropriate treatment possible.

Best wishes,

Nikki

Old 04-25-2007, 08:40 AM   #12
(female)

lauren c. HB User

Thank you, Nikki. As much as I hate these thoughts, I must admit I'm grateful that they're not negative/suicidal thoughts. I TRULY TRUY feel for all of you that have those. I thought experiencing depressive episodes was bad enough. But I guess I shouldn't compare. As you stated, OCD affects people in Oh so many ways.

I have an appointment with my psych doc on Thurs. I'll def keep in touch. this is the only message board in years that I've felt comfortable in. Thank you so much!

~l~

Old 04-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

HI,
Yes, I have these "looping" thoughts, sometimes rhythms, to the point where everything I hear around me seems to fit into those rhythms (if that makes any sense to anyone), sometimes pieces of songs. And I don't have the thoughts of harming anyone, but do get suicidal ideation sometimes, too.
When I am stressed or have too much stimulation, they get worse and do speed up, tooYou're not alone.
I find that Xanax helps me not to be so anxious about the thoughts, and enables me to ignore them, makes them quieter. Luvox has helped a great deal, too.
Hope this helps a little.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #14
(female)

lauren c. HB User

Hey Seaturtle (adorable name!)

The copy machine at work is running right now and my mind has caught onto the rhythm. I know EXACTLY how that goes! Directional signals in cars, a washing machine...anything with a consistent rhythm. I'm also glad to hear we have the same experiences. One "expert" in OCD said that my symptoms don't really fit the typical OCD mold (paraphrasing) b/c of the "content" of the thoughts. Geesh, what an expert. We'll see what my doc suggests tongiht as far as meds and I'll report back tomorrow morning. May everyone's thoughts be filled with loving phrases instead of "bad" ones.

~l~

Old 04-26-2007, 09:08 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Lauren,
Thank you, too! I have never been able to explain this completely to any professional.
Are you by any chance musical? I used to play hand drums, and was really good at it, just because I could always repeat the same thing accurately, lol.
I often wonder what it would be like to hear something fall on the floor and just hear the sound of it, instead of a rhythm.
Really so nice to know I am not alone, thanks.

Closed Thread