It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 09:52 PM   #1
(male)

dgcango HB User
I'm pure O & only meds (not cog therapy) works, how about u?

While being on Luvox (200 mg) and Xanax XR (.5 mg) my OCD went from a 10 to 2. I'm 31 and was diagnosed almost 2 years ago. My meds make life better and provide me with peace most of the time. But I want to be normal like I used to be so I have trying cog therapy.

During the past 2 months I have been in cog therapy and haven't experienced any noticeable difference. My psychologist is very nice and really does care but I during our sessions I feel like we are going no where. I ask him tough questions and his answers are:

1)Breathing techniques (you should have seen the breathing techniques that I have done in therapy...I look like a nut and should go on SNL) doesnt work.

2)Play music as a distraction-Ok so I play U2's song electrical storm when I have a flare up and that does help a little

3)Eat a no carb diet--I am very healthy and cant see how pasta plays a role.

4)Stay away from sugar--My diet is like Cheerios in the morning, sandwhich, salad or soup at lunch, and typically some of the latter at dinner but just a little more meat at supper. I am just a normal guy.

5)Run---I am a runner so he says to that is good.

So now I have gone thru 7 sessions and feel like trying something else. Has anyone who is Pure O had success with cog therapy to get rid of OCD completeley? How many sessions does it take?

I will be curious to see what other Pure O'ers like me have done with cog therapy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2007, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChaosAD HB User
Re: I'm pure O & only meds (not cog therapy) works, how about u?

I go to therapy and do the CBT. It def hasn't gone away but it does seem to help me deal with it more and sometimes nip it in the bud before it gets out of control. Never tried any meds for it yet. Trying to avoid that. I do the exercise and music sometimes and that does seem to help, esp the exercise. What I eat does seem to affect me, but I think it feeds off my anxiety as well. So foods with sugar and caffeine seem to make the anxiety more which in turn the OCD feeds off of. So, for now I will continue with the CBT, exercising and watching what I eat and see how much more progress I can make. I don't really think the OCD will truly go away (had it all my life so far lol), but I do think I can get a better control of it and not let it dictate so much of my life like it has.

Just my experiences.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:08 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

cryfreedmb41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcango View Post
While being on Luvox (200 mg) and Xanax XR (.5 mg) my OCD went from a 10 to 2. I'm 31 and was diagnosed almost 2 years ago. My meds make life better and provide me with peace most of the time. But I want to be normal like I used to be so I have trying cog therapy.

During the past 2 months I have been in cog therapy and haven't experienced any noticeable difference. My psychologist is very nice and really does care but I during our sessions I feel like we are going no where. I ask him tough questions and his answers are:

1)Breathing techniques (you should have seen the breathing techniques that I have done in therapy...I look like a nut and should go on SNL) doesnt work.

2)Play music as a distraction-Ok so I play U2's song electrical storm when I have a flare up and that does help a little

3)Eat a no carb diet--I am very healthy and cant see how pasta plays a role.

4)Stay away from sugar--My diet is like Cheerios in the morning, sandwhich, salad or soup at lunch, and typically some of the latter at dinner but just a little more meat at supper. I am just a normal guy.

5)Run---I am a runner so he says to that is good.

So now I have gone thru 7 sessions and feel like trying something else. Has anyone who is Pure O had success with cog therapy to get rid of OCD completeley? How many sessions does it take?

I will be curious to see what other Pure O'ers like me have done with cog therapy.
Im seeing my doctor in 2 weeks, and I need to go on something...Luvox seems to be the most popular for OCD...before being diagnosed I was on everything from celexa, lexapro, effexor, zoloft....for anxiety/depression. After realizing it was OCD i went on Prozac because I heard that was good for OCD. But Ive been off it for 6 months now.

I believe Im mostly pure O too...do the luvox really helped you? Anyone else? Also do you take the xanax everyday? my psychiatrist doesnt like me taking it, but im going to my primary doc next friday and telling him to write me a script for the panic attacks.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:32 PM   #4
(male)

dgcango HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryfreedmb41 View Post
Im seeing my doctor in 2 weeks, and I need to go on something...Luvox seems to be the most popular for OCD...before being diagnosed I was on everything from celexa, lexapro, effexor, zoloft....for anxiety/depression. After realizing it was OCD i went on Prozac because I heard that was good for OCD. But Ive been off it for 6 months now.

I believe Im mostly pure O too...do the luvox really helped you? Anyone else? Also do you take the xanax everyday? my psychiatrist doesnt like me taking it, but im going to my primary doc next friday and telling him to write me a script for the panic attacks.
Luvox does work but I also need a Xanax (controlled release) to keep my anxiety at bay. Its been clinically proven that Luvox (along with Celexa) are the quickets SSRI to affect your neurons in the fastest in regard to providing you with a theraputic effect.

You never feel the Luvox working but it does in the sense that the rumination of the intrusive thoughts are less intense and in some weeks they are totally gone. It wont cure your OCD but imagine your intrusive thoughts will go from right in front of you to almost 100 yards behind you. Far enough to have peace but still there so that you look back and that they are there. Know that you will have flares up's but since I have been in Luvox it helps from panicking and freaking out.

Xanax controlled release will give you an immediate difference. You will feel less agitated and more laid back. You will feel a little sleepy in the morning but with a controlled release it balances out. I take it every night with my Luvox.

If your DR doesnt like then tell him too bad because you dont like OCD

Tell him that you want to have peace. Go get Ian Osbornes book "Tormenting thoughts and Secret Rituals" he is a psychiatrist who has OCD. Have your psychiatrist read it during your session so then he'll know how hard it is for you. Its very hard to verbalize how OCD effects your life bc of the shame involved so being prepared with books when you see your DR will show them how you are feeling.

I hope this information helps you and others.

Why did you stop taking Prozac? Did it work?

Old 04-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

cryfreedmb41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgcango View Post
Luvox does work but I also need a Xanax (controlled release) to keep my anxiety at bay. Its been clinically proven that Luvox (along with Celexa) are the quickets SSRI to affect your neurons in the fastest in regard to providing you with a theraputic effect.

You never feel the Luvox working but it does in the sense that the rumination of the intrusive thoughts are less intense and in some weeks they are totally gone. It wont cure your OCD but imagine your intrusive thoughts will go from right in front of you to almost 100 yards behind you. Far enough to have peace but still there so that you look back and that they are there. Know that you will have flares up's but since I have been in Luvox it helps from panicking and freaking out.

Xanax controlled release will give you an immediate difference. You will feel less agitated and more laid back. You will feel a little sleepy in the morning but with a controlled release it balances out. I take it every night with my Luvox.

If your DR doesnt like then tell him too bad because you dont like OCD

Tell him that you want to have peace. Go get Ian Osbornes book "Tormenting thoughts and Secret Rituals" he is a psychiatrist who has OCD. Have your psychiatrist read it during your session so then he'll know how hard it is for you. Its very hard to verbalize how OCD effects your life bc of the shame involved so being prepared with books when you see your DR will show them how you are feeling.

I hope this information helps you and others.

Why did you stop taking Prozac? Did it work?

Thanks for the advice. I stopped the Prozac mainly because no longer had health insurance to go see my therapist/get prescriptions. But, and I guess this figures with ocd, I never thought anything was working. I mean granted I didnt have the "outbreak" im having now, but i always felt depressed and still have ocd symptoms so I just figured I was one of those people meds didnt help.

in reality maybe they did help, but you just didnt really know it...if that makes any sense!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hi,

I ws on Prozac for many years, and it helped my agoraphobia, but never did anything for the obsessive thoughts. I started on Luvox several months, and, although the thoughts are not gone, they are less loud and overwhelming. I also take some Xanax, which helps, too, and Lamictal, which also helps.
Can you get some free meds from the manufacturer? They have a program for that.
Good luck to you, and I'm sorry you're struggling with this monster.

Closed Thread