It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #1
(female)

findingbalance HB User
Intrusive thoughts vs. depression/anxiety

It is like a viscious cycle. My intrusive thoughts feed my anxiety and depression and vice versa. HOw do I break this cycle? Does anyone else wish they could find the magic switch to turn their brain off? I feel like I never get a break from my thoughts. I need to vent a little today as I am having what I refer to as a "bad mental health day." I'm sick of thinking and waiting for my meds to help this (its been a week on prozac now.) I could really use some feedback. These intrusive thoughts are getting to me today.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

kotitka HB User
Re: Intrusive thoughts vs. depression/anxiety

Oh, dear!
Hang in there, it will be better.
When I have this kind of day, I imagine my OCD as a parasite in my head, which it actually is. It wants me do things it wants to be done or think thoughts it gave me. I remember in college we were studying Freud's theories and one of them was something like we have 3 entities in our minds, I don't remember what they are called, but something like: I, i and it. They all supposed to cooperate and it consists one's person mind and way of thinking. Looks like one of mine, probably the big superficial I wants to take over. So I start to hate it, bad, wanting to break free. Sometimes it helps. Like, I was driving to work today and was absolutely OCD-free for an hour .
I know for sure if you gather yourself enough not to act on compulsions or not pay attention to thoughts, they will go away. I have had different o/c over the years, and some of them completely went away, it's just sometimes they are replaced by others.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

One week is not long enough for most meds to work. Two to six weeks is more the norm.
However, the meds that actually did work for me started to work fairly quickly.
Maybe Prozac isn't the right one for you.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

I think you need to give the meds way more than 1 week, I would say it takes a good 2-3 weeks to really start to feel the difference.....wait until 3 weeks total and re-evaluate.. and they are not going to be "magic" it takes alot of work to feel better, not just meds..

Do you go for therapy as well?

Old 05-16-2007, 07:11 PM   #5
(female)

findingbalance HB User

I do therapy but I'm thinking of switching. My offical diagnosis is depression and generalized anxiety disorder but from what I've read I have some definite signs of Pure-o. My therapist is easy to talk to but doesn't seem to have much training in the area of intrusive thoughts....I also know I need to let the meds run their course for more than a week. I've been on SSRIs before for depression. I'm just feeling a little worse today than I have in previous weeks. But I am alos exhausted as well. Everything is worse when I'm tired so I'm going to quit typing and make myself go to bed hopefully the $#%^ thoughts will leave me alone for a good night of rest.
Thanks for your replies. It helps.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:31 AM   #6
(female)

Post-It HB User

Yeah, that's the thing about therapists, at least in the U.S. - most think OCD is something like handwashing or contamination... many don't know very much about Pure O. If you think it would help, try to find a therapist in your area that specializes in OCD. At the OC Foundation website, you can search for therapists in your that deal specifically with OCD.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
(female)

some83 HB User

i have the same problem. my therapist said to read a book called "brain lock" its supposed to teach you how to shut off those thoughts. i havent gotten it yet but its worth a try

Old 08-15-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
(male)

snbcamp HB User

I have been fortunate to have a therapist that does understand OCD, particularly when it comes to pure obsessions, which is what I do. I recently changed meds to Cymbalta and was hoping for a faster response (It's been about three weeks) as I usually respond pretty quickly. All I can say is just hang in there. It will get better with the right combination of therapy and medications.

I just started reading the book 'Brain Lock' and so far it is a good book, written in terms that are easy to understand. I am going to try the thought replacement therapy that the book prescribes, so we'll see how it goes.

Keep your spirits up. You'll get better.

Closed Thread