It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
(female)

syradmb HB User
Does anyone's OCD give then anxiety/panic attacks?

Does anyone's OCD give then anxiety/panic attacks? This has been happening to me lately along with depression. The negative thoughts along with it have been giving me such anxious feelings.

I was ok accepting it was OCD for awhile and then all of a sudden I'm thinking,...oh these thoughts arent right. They arent ocd...im going crazy/i have schizophrenia or im losing control.

it's very scary lately. Anyone have these outburts where they just feel like they are going to go crazy/lose control? It's been pretty bad relapse lately.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
(female)

Psychobabble HB User
Re: Does anyone's OCD give then anxiety/panic attacks?

Hi Syradmb,

Yes, I experience strong anxiety attacks when I'm going through episodes of OCD. My face gets extremely flushed, I get stomach cramps, I sweat, my heart beat goes way up, I feel dizzy, I also feel like I want to crawl under something and hide...in general, I do feel as if I'm going crazy! You're definitely not alone here. I believe that these attacks of anxiety are called 'spikes' in the world of OCD treatment. These occur when some obsession pops into your head...it is very common with us OCDers. I, too, used to fear that I was schizophrenic or something like that. However, you are not schizophrenic or anything like that! You're just experiencing a lot of anxiety which can make you feel as if you're losing control.

I would suggest seeking out a professional to help you with the OCD. I have been going to cognitive behavioral therapy for about 6 months now and it has been working WONDERS! The OCD is certainly not gone by any means, but I have more control over it rather than it having control over me. I am going through a relapse right now, but it seems to be more transient and I know I can work on it in therapy next week. Hang in there!...the anxiety will pass and you're not going crazy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
(male)

Christian73 HB User

Yes. The obsessive thoughts have at times sent me reeling into panic and anxiety. OCD is by its nature an anxiety disorder.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

same here, you are not alone!

Old 05-28-2007, 04:51 PM   #5
(female)

syradmb HB User

it just feels like i have all this "stuff" in my head. I dont know how to explain it...it just feels so heavy. So blogged down. Maybe it's all the thoughts racing. I just want it to stop it feels like if i shake my head long enough or scream or something it'll relieve this "pressure."

What's making it so bad is it makes me feel crazy. Like there's something wrong with me- Im so scared of going crazy and losing control and now thats sending me into panic attacks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syradmb For This Useful Post:
jakep (12-03-2010)
Old 05-28-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
(male)

Christian73 HB User

You're not going to go crazy. Are you seeing a therapist?

Old 05-28-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
(female)

syradmb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian73 View Post
You're not going to go crazy. Are you seeing a therapist?
I see my psychiatrist and I know the difference between her and a Psychologist or therapist. But I just get frustrated because she just goes over what med choices I have. She doesnt really reassure me Im NOT crazy or Schizophrenic. So needless to say when I see her friday Im going to get a referral for a therapist to actually talk to.

I saw one at one time and she was good at reassuring me. I told her about the obsessive thoughts and she didnt think for a second I was nuts or I would act on the intrusive thoughts which did make me feel better.

So yeah I need to get back into therapy with someone to talk to not just write me scripts.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:04 PM   #8
(male)

Christian73 HB User

I've done both from time to time. Sometimes, my symptoms seem to be in remission and I will take time away from talk therapy (but not meds) and at other times I need someone to talk with. If you're like me, this is probably just one of those times.

Feel better!

Old 06-21-2007, 06:25 AM   #9
(female)

jessicalg88 HB User

this happens to me Everyday. I have some morbid thoughts about myself hurting or dying...then I get anxiety because I'm worried about the thoughts the I have a panic attack where my head feels light and I fear if I dont stop myself I will go insane. I sometimes feel like running to the hospital, but then once I let out a cry,laugh or scream (whatever comes first) it seems as if it never happened.

strange I know. I wish it will all just end. Without the help of meds...naturaly as if I'm just going through a phase.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

brook65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by syradmb View Post
She doesnt really reassure me Im NOT crazy or Schizophrenic. .

This in itself is a classic OCD obsession.

People who are crazy don't obsess about being crazy, cause they don't know they are

Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish whether my panic attacks are from OCD fears or from Asperger's fears. (This is why I failed CBT. Twice. ) But, in general, I'd say that my panic attacks are from my Asperger's- fear of change. Whenever I get to knowing what's going to "happen next," they usually diminish. However, on occasion, I still get OCD-triggered panic attacks. These come in the form of a massive, massive panic attack until I confess my "sin"- the obsession. I used to get these panic attacks every day at age 12, when my OCD became full-blown and was at its worst. I rarely get them now, thankfully, but when I do, it's horrible.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread