It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
(female)

Doglover5 HB User
Please tell me about Luvox

I have been trying to deal with my OCD without medication (I know, probably not the wisest move) for a long time, but I don't know if I can do it anymore. I am going to make an appointment to see a doctor soon and I'd like to have an idea of a good OCD medication to suggest. I've heard good things about Luvox lately, but I have two side-effect concerns. Weight gain and decreased libido. Have any of you had either (or both) of those responses to taking Luvox? I'm not worried about any other side effects, because quite frankly, I'd rather have some insomnia or shakiness than obsess all day... but on the other hand I'd rather obsess all day than gain a bunch of weight or never want to have sex! Any information would be great. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #2
(female)

goldeneyes HB User
Re: Please tell me about Luvox

Luvox works well for my mother (also has ocd), but luvox did not work so well for me.
I took it for a few months. It did not help with the ocd. I would still occasionally get depressed but could not physically cry. That frustrated me. I decided to quit the luvox a few days before an appointment with my doctor. I planned to tell her at the appointment that I had quit the luvox. I found out that you are not supposed to stop taking luvox cold turkey. I was dizzy and depressed for a week.
However, my mother has been very pleased with how well the luvox has worked for her.
You asked about side effects. I did not notice weight changes. I was not using it very long, though. I did have the decreased libido, which was not necessarily a bad thing but could not orgasm during sex (but I usually don't anyway).
Hope this has been helpful.
-goldeneyes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

I am on Luvox and have had a great experience with it. I am switching to Prozac only because it is more known to my OBGYN and I will be trying to conceive soon.

As for Luvox, I find that Luvox does make me tired, drowsy but I think all SSRI's do. I do have a lower sex drive and it is harder for me to have orgasim during sex, although it does happen but just takes a longer time. (Hey just makes my hubby work a little harder ). I did not gain weight from Luvox. I think most of the SSRI's have the same side effecs. Luvox is really only for OCD and not for other disorders as per my psychiatrist. It does not help with other anxiety issues or depression.

Good Luck!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:57 AM   #4
(female)

Post-It HB User

It's ok. It does help the obsessive thoughts but it's been traded in for a "who cares?" sort of attitude, and not a "who cares" in a good way, at least for me. It does not make me feel like myself, I guess. But a LOT of people have really good success with Luvox so it's worth a shot. For me, it just made me feel more depressed and lifeless. I would rather feel the ups and downs than not feel anything. I would say just try it out and see how you react to it. Meds can be tricky and sometimes you have to go through a few to find the right one for you. Good luck!

Closed Thread