It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

irishmom1 HB User
taking prozac

I'm starting my 2nd week of prozac and I don't like how i feel. I feel like my brain is closed up, it won't allow me to remember anything. Thinking is hard, having a conversation is hard. This weekend was an up and down with emotions. Mostly I felt worthless. When not on meds, I can argue with myself that yes, I am worthy but prozac is making me feel worse about myself. I don't see any good in anything. But...I want to see good, I don't want to feel like this. I went to bbq's this weekend but although my body was there, my mind was so closed up, it was not the real me.

I was like this when taking celexa and it passed. SO I am hoping it passes again.

Can anyone offer any advice? I have a child to take care of and I don't want to be numb. Thanks.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
(female)

syradmb HB User
Re: taking prozac

Iím on prozac too. This is my 2nd week but I was on it in the past too. I felt similar to you when I was on Zoloft. All SSRIís take a while to work. And the first few weeks you can actually feel worse before you feel better. Everyoneís different so itís hard to tell when or if itíll pass for you.

Im struggling now too. I donít think itís the prozac thought. Itís a combo of anxiety/ocd/panic/depression. Lovely combination.

I know what you mean about being at the BBQ thought. Recently I found itís hard for me to concentrate and I often find myself dazing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
(female)

irishmom1 HB User

SYRADMB,

it's the pits dealing with the vicious cycle of anxiety/ocd/panic/depression. One triggers the other. what techniques do you use to get thru this? I label it what it is and tell myself it's OCD and anxiety, it's a brain disorder that is sending false messages. But sometimes this doesn't make me feel better.

Thanks for the input on prozac. Let's keep each updated on our progress. I wish you well. I'll be seeking you out for support. Both of us can conquer this!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

uh oh, I will be changing from luvox to prozac soon (will try to conceive and dr. recommends prozac instead)...hope it works well with me...

Old 05-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
(female)

syradmb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom1 View Post
SYRADMB,

it's the pits dealing with the vicious cycle of anxiety/ocd/panic/depression. One triggers the other. what techniques do you use to get thru this? I label it what it is and tell myself it's OCD and anxiety, it's a brain disorder that is sending false messages. But sometimes this doesn't make me feel better.

Thanks for the input on prozac. Let's keep each updated on our progress. I wish you well. I'll be seeking you out for support. Both of us can conquer this!
*hugs* Yeah one does trigger the other, it's bad. For awhile I was able to just tell myself...it's OCD it happens...move on. But recently it's got bad as you might have read in my other posts here and in the anxiety/panic forums.

I'm sticking with the prozac because Im hoping it'll help with the long term depression, but I also take xanax for the the anxiety. I think it helps. I'm looking into an anxiety med like buspar as well. I see my psychiatrist on friday and we'll see what she says. I tend to do my own research and just hope she goes along with it and writes the scripts!

I'm also going to tell her I need to go back into "talk" therapy and see a Psychologist. Hopefully that will help. Keep me posted on how you're doing.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 PM   #6
(female)

findingbalance HB User

I have been on Prozac for almost three weeks and the intrusive thoughts have started to disappear. I do have some problems with memory and at times realize I am dazing off but it has gotten much better in the last week. I too have little kids so I don't want to be numb either....but the alternative is worse. I was on Prozac eight years ago; I was switched from Zoloft. It worked really well for me. After a year or so on it my depression/anxiety/intrusive thoughts became so manageable that I was able to be off meds until now. The only major side effect that stayed the entire time on was a low libido which started with my first major depressive episode ten years ago. Stick with it. Like I said, it worked well for me and the fogginess subsided after several weeks the first time around. its already improving three weeks in this time around. Good luck and keep in touch!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

What do you mean by forgetfulness.. is it just kinda of foggy or really forgetting?

Old 06-02-2007, 03:05 AM   #8
(female)

KinderKara HB User

**I apoligize in advance for the long post, I feel to understand my situation, more background info is needed**

When I was in high school, I had early signs of OCD I believe (I can look back now and realize what it was). In college, symptoms occurred with made me feel very uncomfortbale. I remember calling my mom one night in the middle of the night telling her that I couldn't shut off the lights. She knew something wasn't right, so she drove a couple hours to my apartment. I told her what I had been feeling lately and we saw a family doctor that was known for his dealings with many of similar disorders ("problems'" as I like to call them, disorder sounds bad).

I soon went on Zoloft and was on that about a year or so...but gained much weight. That summer, during about a 4 or month period, I gained 30 pounds, which I am still suffering from! After consideration, he switched me to Prozac, which worked beautifully for me.

Last summer I was feeling so good that I thought I would try going off of it, so slowly, as recommended by my doctor, I went off, feeling great. I got married, was student teaching that semester, graduated from college, and started feeling anxious, repeating things, etc. I decided I truly needed the Prozac again. I started taking it full dose right off. BIG MISTAKE!!! I had some sort of reaction, feeling very odd, confused, dizzy and I went to the ER. He gave me some meds (too much) and it made my conditions worse. After more consideration by my doctor (he was out of town when the incident occured) put me back on Zoloft because of the reaction I have to Prozac. He told me that since I had been takign Prozac so long, going off it and back on that quickly shouldn't have caused that great of a reaction.

So far, things are going well. At first, things weren't goo at all, felt like the meds were never going to kick in. My husband was so understanding of it all, I sat at home at my moms and dads for several days (that home is very comforting to me, mom and dad there, sounds weird, that that helped me) just sleeping 24/7 not wanting to do a thing. An ice storn came then and at our home, no electricity for 8 days, so that also affected me. Soon meds kicked in and I feel that I am on the road to recovery....I also saw counselors along the way.

Thank you for patience, writing about it or talkng about it helps sometimes too.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

It shows again how different people's experiences with medications are.
I have been on Prozac for over 6 years now and tolerate it very well, and it helps a lot.

Kathrin

Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am so nervous b/c I just switched to Prozac... see my recent post.. I don't want to duplicate...

KinderKara - totally understand, same thing happened to me with Luvox when I tried to go off.. hey some people just need the meds....I am one of them.

Closed Thread