It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 07:39 PM   #1
(male)

isuguru07 HB User
is this ocd or is it anxiety , or something else, any help would be great

Alright, It started over the last girl i was in a serious relationship, and what happened was she left for the fact that I was going to a different college and nothing was talked about or anything as to why she suddenly just called it quits. It was about 2-3 weeks or so of being really depressed and my heart had a really sharp pain in it, kind of like when you feel nervous but about 50 times more painful, I honestly couldnt sleep because how painful it felt, it hit me like a ton of bricks and I had no clue what to do, then one night I laid there wondering if I had to change to get her back, I just all of a sudden went hey, how are you breathing with out focusing on it, then I started putting focus on my tongue and mouth movements, Now all of a sudden it seems like my eyes are my mouth and tongue since all my focus is there, I dont act the same, Ive lost alot of friends and feel like I have no emotions, Its constantly me feeling my mouth is wrong or in the wrong position, well its almost been a year since this started and now I feel it just comes natural for me to adjust/focus on my lips and tongue and every thing always tenses up, I cant access my train of though and Im getting really sick and tired about it, Ive gone to therepy probably about 10-20 times and therepy makes me feel really good about my self, but only when Im there, I know ive gotten alot better, I used to feel third person alot and every thing around me didnt feel real at all, now I cant keep all my focus on daily life and whats around me and react to it. I feel like I when I talk to some one, I figure the shortest easiest answer as quick as possible and then focus on my mouth while im saying it.

WHHHAAAT CANNN I DO?!?!?!?!

MEDS ARE NOT AN OPTION because I choose not to, so please no suggestions of going on meds

ANY OTHER INFO WILL HELPFUL!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

SuchGreatHeight HB User
Re: is this ocd or is it anxiety , or something else, any help would be great

From my experences and knowledge, I never heard of an OCD case like yours. It sounds like you started off with anxiety and Panic attacks after depression, and then your mind dissociated into something else. Something to keep your mind occupied.

If you can, can you see a Psychiatrist? Not to recieve meds (because I don't think you need any), but to get a diagnosis and tests to render what is happening.

It sounds like it started with a relationship you didn't want to quit. Possibly an attathment problem or even some traumatic stress.

Therapy does help, and I'm glad it helps you. So keep on that, but have you talked about what is happening and why? She may reffer you to a Psychological Diagnostition.

Best of luck to you.

SGH

Old 05-31-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
(male)

isuguru07 HB User

no what I was saying is therapy only felt like it helped when I was there

Not after

I went for 4 months and saw no big improvement, Today honestly had to be the hardest day, I was so focused on my mouth that honestly I felt like I had nothing to live for because It feels like Im never gonna get over it, Its almost been a year I NEED HELP!! Please can someone give me some techniques or something to work on??

Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
(female)

ChanceFL HB User

It sounds like OCD to me. I have had obsessions with breathing, blinking, and swallowing. I just bought the book "Freedom From Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" by Jonathon Grayson. The book has many solutions for OCD without medication. As a matter of fact, the book lists "awareness of normal body functioning" such as breathing as a symptom of OCD. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 06-01-2007, 05:00 AM   #5
(male)

Christian73 HB User

I've had obsessions about bodily functions too. In fact, my first big O was related to my eyesight.

Bumper Sticker in my therapist's office

Old 06-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
(male)

isuguru07 HB User

Really, Ive focused on things before like the blinking swallowing and breathing that I remember, but really it went away almost instantly, (this was before all of this started) and now I try to make it happen and I cant, and when sometimes I do get focused on my blinking, Im happy, but then my focus on it easily drifts away, Im just wondering why on that very first night when this happend it didnt just go away when I woke up the next day, Is there any techniques or something I can work on that anyone can suggest?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

Wow - this board is SO great! You guys are wonderful. I have now found two others on this thread alone who have admitted to having had the swallowing obsession before. I have had this obsession come and go in my life and I have also experienced the breathing and blinking obsessions before. Praise God - I have had an excellent day today! It's as though this OCD "loop" has finally lifted/broken for me after approx. a little over a year now. I can say from personal experience, that something that has just recently helped me, as funny as this might sound, is that I adopted a rescue dachshund with behavior problems. My mind has been SO focused on helping this dog and resolving issues in the house with a nervous peeing problem, that my mind has FINALLY shifted off of the swallowing obsession and I am actually feeling "normal" again. I am also finally busy at work now with very detailed projects and it is helping immensely. Idle time is hard for me - time when my brain can just think, if that makes sense at all? Oddly enough, a small amount of caffeine (after having been off of it for over a year now), can help as well sometimes, because it dries my mouth and I'm not needing to swallow. I understand about not wanting to take meds. and that therapy does seem to make you feel better or stronger while you're there, although I have to be honest, that on a "bad" day, the swallowing obsession was still there. No amount of talk therapy would really elmininate it. When it was bad, though, chewing gum helped me to relax and I would say that I could control/hide the swallowing problem much better. Something that I personally did, was to have biofeedback done by a board certified therapist. Per my therapist, it not only increases serotonin in the brain (which is great for an OCD person), but also sort of "shifts" the brain and corrects dysregulation in the brain long-term. You simply play games on the computer with your brain. You mgiht want to check it out. I have also always wondered about hypnotherapy and about acupunture. I also read good, informative OCD books. I personally feel with the swallowing obsession, that for me, when I'm more relaxed and focused on another situation i.e. training my dog, doing very detailed spreadsheets at work, etc., I can actually get it to go away. The longer I get it to go away, the better I seem to do at keeping my brain out of the loop. My personal faith in God also keeps me going and I simply thank God for my healing, even if I can't see it in the "natural", but rather in the supernatural. I don't know your faith or belief system, but I honestly feel that the swallowing obsession left me years ago in high school due to all of my prayers/continued belief in God. Just my own personal experience. Oddly enough, my swallowing obsession triggered due to a relationship formed on-line. I really started liking this person and whoila!,
it triggered at around 26 some years later. My first therapist thought it was simply "anxiety manisfesting itself into physical symptoms", the 2nd OCD quack I saw ended up WITH my symptoms and had no clue what it was (thought I needed to work on other OCD issues that weren't really bothering me and suspected that it would go away) and my 3rd and last therapist hasn't really said - I think she sort of suspects OCD, but not in the "classic" form of it - OCD tendencies with some anxiety. God bless my current therapist, though, she truly cares and I think I'm definitely going to start having the biofeedback done again.

danni

Old 06-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

I just got a book in the mail tonight written by Linda Maran - has anyone read this book and what did they think of it?

danni

Closed Thread