It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
(male)

jim obrein87 HB User
Red face i have intrusive thoughts

these intrusive thoughts are terrible why arent they going away!!!!!!! i have these horrible thoughts that for some reason i am a horrible sick person, which i know is not true i worry that for some reason if a kid who is african american and playing their radio loud and i dont like it i then worry that i am a racist which i know is not true at all. i am 19 and never had these intrusive thoughts till late last year i want to enjoy life and not have these horrible dingling thoughts chip away at me. i guess i should come out to a therapist and tell them i get intrusive thoughts but even that i am uncomfortable with.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
(female)

irishmom1 HB User
Re: i have intrusive thoughts

I remember your other messages. If your thoughts are bothering you more, see a therapist. If you are embarrassed in talking to a therapist, don't be. They have heard every thought imaginable and nothing will shock them. The more you worry, the worse you'll become. I am having a rough time right now w/ thoughts. It's not fair we have to live like this. So please get some help so that you can enjoy life like you want to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #3
(male)

jim obrein87 HB User

thank you irishmom i will finally tell my therapist because he knows im a good guy and would never hurt anyone, but thank you because i cant waste my wonderful early 20's with these horrible thoughts while im hanging out with friends. like today I had this really horrible thought at school, see at school we have this atrium and it goes 5 stories and all of a sudden i had this horrible thought that somehow i would throw pennies or stuff down there and hurt people which i know i damn well would never do but geez i hated that and this thought scared me i would never never never never do that but for some reason this stupid voice in the back of my head gave me these horrible thoughts.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

You ARE a good guy!

Try to remind yourself when you have those thoughts: "It's not me, it's the OCD."

OCD tends to try to hit you exactly where you are most vulnerable. So somebody who believes very much in justice, for example, and in equality, might get "racist" OCD thoughts.

Because you don't want such thoughts, they are not you. The OCD "wants" to give you thoughts that you don't want.

I have heard the theory that everybody has such intrusive thoughts once in a while, but most people recognize them for what they are - just thoughts, something to shrug off. Maybe laugh off. People with OCD give them importance and are afraid of them. We wonder: Why did I think that? Does it mean I am a bad person? And the more we are afraid of the thoughts, the more they become intrusive.

OCD can be really nasty.

Let me tell you: You are good.

Kathrin

p.s. Yes, do speak with your therapist. Sometimes we need help conquering the OCD. Do you have any OCD-specific therapy, like cognitive-behavioral therapy or medications?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
(male)

jim obrein87 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathrin74 View Post
You ARE a good guy!

Try to remind yourself when you have those thoughts: "It's not me, it's the OCD."

OCD tends to try to hit you exactly where you are most vulnerable. So somebody who believes very much in justice, for example, and in equality, might get "racist" OCD thoughts.

Because you don't want such thoughts, they are not you. The OCD "wants" to give you thoughts that you don't want.

I have heard the theory that everybody has such intrusive thoughts once in a while, but most people recognize them for what they are - just thoughts, something to shrug off. Maybe laugh off. People with OCD give them importance and are afraid of them. We wonder: Why did I think that? Does it mean I am a bad person? And the more we are afraid of the thoughts, the more they become intrusive.

OCD can be really nasty.

Let me tell you: You are good.

Kathrin

p.s. Yes, do speak with your therapist. Sometimes we need help conquering the OCD. Do you have any OCD-specific therapy, like cognitive-behavioral therapy or medications?

i dont

Old 06-04-2007, 02:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

> > Do you have any OCD-specific therapy, like cognitive-behavioral therapy or
> > medications?

> i dont

I say this because I have heard from many sides (professional, other people, as well as personal experience) that just "talk therapy" does not work for OCD. OCD is so much about thoughts getting STUCK in the brain, it needs specific treatment to get them "loose". So to say.
I had just talked about it with a therapist for years... I understood, it all made snese... but I just didn't know how to really CHANGE anything.

I recommend the book "Brain Lock". A therapist who did do cognitive-behavioral therapy with me (only for a short time, a very short time, but I also started medication then) worked with it. It MAY work for self-help too. (I had tried that though. I did better with a therapist. because I didn't trust myself enough.)

Let us know how you're doing ok? In any case, remember that you are not alone. And that there is help.

Kathrin

Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 PM   #7
(male)

jim obrein87 HB User
Wink Re: i have intrusive thoughts

thank you dor the advice i will check out the medicine and thank you for reassuring me that i am of course NOT a racist or homophobic because i myself am bisexual. i guess we just get these crazy thoughts in our head that dont make any sense and i am learning just to treat them as thoughts and not as what would actually happen.

thanks again

Old 06-05-2007, 05:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Exactly. Just thoughts.

Closed Thread