It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 AM   #1
(female)

jan54 HB User
How long before Luvox takes effect?

Hi Guys:

Last night was the 9th dose of Luvox 100mg for me, and this morning was my third morning of paxil 10mg (coming down from week of 20mg). I have no trouble sleeping, but as soon as I wake up, the intrusive thoughts and anxiety with them start again. Do you think that this problem is Paxil withdrawl, and gradually the Luvox will kick in?

ChanceFL check with your doctor's office regarding your questions. They won't mind, and that's what they are there for. Feel better.

--Jan

Old 06-08-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
(female)

ChanceFL HB User
Re: How long before Luvox takes effect?

Jan-
My doctor told me that my OCD would get worse before it got better on Luvox, so maybe it isn't the Paxil. I have noticed that my OCD is much worse since starting, which is not very encouraging, especially in the morning. I am increasing my dose to 50, but I am nervous because I don't know how much more I can take! I'm going to give it a month (three more weeks) and then I'm moving on to another med.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I've had increased anxiety on withdrawal from Paxil (nasty one) and initially from Luvox, so you might be getting a double impact of increased anxiety. CAn you get a benzo for a couple of weeks to help you over this transition?

I've found the Luvox to be extremely helpful. Try to give it some time, and increase slowly.

Best of luck to you.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

I think it may be the combo of both.. but I have had wonderful experience with LUvox.... hang in there, it is hard to start the med... your body needs time to adjust and you may also be having some side effects as well.

I just tried to get off luvox and onto prozac and had a horrible reaction.. but not sure if this was from the withdrawal of the luvox??

Old 06-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
(male)

Superp150 HB User

My psychiatrist says that you should give each drug that you try at least 6-10 weeks for it to start working for OCD.

Jan, I cant believe that your doc would let you take luvox and paxil together. I know you are tapering off of the paxil but since you are replacing one serotonin drug with another you should have been ok to just stop the paxil and start the luvox. I think you should probably have started with 50mg/day luvox for 4 days and then increased the luvox to 100mg/day. But I am not a doctor so what do I know?

I do know that you might have to go to 150mg-200mg/day for it to be really effective.

Hope this helps!!!

God Bless!

Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
(female)

jan54 HB User

Good Morning:

Thank you all for responding. I just guess that I got my hopes up and am impatient for progress. I've heard such good things about Luvox. My psychiatrist, on my prescriptions, has me quitting the Paxil this Wednesday at the 10mg level. I will be talking to his medication nurse on Monday. I'd like to give the Luvox 100mg a decent try before going up to a higher dose once that I'm off of Luvox. Thanks again for being there for me, you don't know what that means to me.

--jan

Old 06-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

keep us updated!! Good luck

Closed Thread