It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

sabpb7454 HB User
Zoloft for OCD

I was just diagnosed with OCD the other day (along with anxiety and depression which I already knew about). The psychiatrist prescribed me zoloft and I am very scared to start taking it. I've been in therapy for about 2 months now due to tons of stress in my life. After the OCD diagnosis, I realized it has been there for many years. It isn't completely debilitating, but it did trigger the depression (which only lasted about 2 months- the depression is gone now). I have suffered from trichotillomania since the 4th grade (I am now 24), however that has never been a huge issue for me. It began with eyebrow pulling, eyelash pulling and then scalp pulling. I occasionally pull from my scalp still- but I am able to control the compulsions. I also remember lots of "perfectionist" things I did as a child.. such as begging my mother to teach me to iron at the age of 10, and then ironing my clothes PERFECTLY... if it got a crease in it, I would rewash it and start over. Looking back, it seems like the OCD was worse when i was a child- but moreso the compulstions. Now I have obsessions that are driving my crazy... it has been a rough 4 months- my life was perfect before all this began and I was always able to maintain my anxiety and overlooked my compulsions. I've never had obsessions before...

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone else has ever taken zoloft for OCD and if it worked. I plan on starting 25mg Sunday morning as I want to enjoy my weekend. The OCD/anxiety/depression have gotten MUCH better since therapy began, but I am still having problems with obsessive ruminations. The psychiatrist said the meds will help control this.

Any advice would be helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
(female)

ChanceFL HB User
Re: Zoloft for OCD

A lot of people take Zoloft for OCD. I am currently on Luvox, but my doctor said Zoloft was also an option if I didn't like Luvox. Anyway, I was really scared to start and I have been on it for two weeks now. It has made my anxiety so much better and I am still on a really low dose, so I can't wait to increase it.

I have been on SSRIs in the past with bad results (increased anxiety, etc), but this time my doctor started me really slowly. Maybe you can ask your doctor if you can start out at a really low dose and then increase it gradually. For me, doing it that way really cut down on the side effects. I just recently read an article that said if doctors were more willing to start patients out at low doses and go slowly, then less people would go off of these meds due to side effects.

Anyway, there are lots of posts on this board where people have had good results on Zoloft. Good luck to you!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I was on Zoloft two different times. I started it before I knew I had OCD (they thought I had GAD), and I was only on 25-50 mg. the first year. It seemed to work for a year, but then the OCD hit full-force again. I switched to Lexapro. Made me worse. Switched back to Zoloft, 100 mg. Still didn't do anything. I was up to 250 mg, 50 mg away from the maximum dosage, AND in CBT, and I was still a mess. So, I switched to Prozac last fall, and that, too, didn't work, so I'm currently not taking an SSRI. They only made me extremely, extremely tired (to the point where I couldn't get anything done), and my OCD usually is high-mild to high-moderate (it used to be really severe, but not so much now that I know what it is and that I don't need to feel guilty about the obsessions), so I don't feel like I need them. I think my OCD is treatment-resistant because I found out last year that I have Asperger's Syndrome, and the OCD is a secondary diagnosis from the Asperger's. It's often hard to distinguish what anxiety comes from which disorder. But, like ChanceFL said, many people do wonders on SSRI's. Unfortunately, the world of psychiatric medications is touch-and-go, and you just have to play trial-and-error with them. Hopefully, Zoloft will be a winner for you.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 06-15-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Zoloft didn't work for me.
Risperdal with Lexapro keeps my OCD down to a manageable level.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
(female)

tayall325 HB User

I was disagnosed with OCD in 1993 and have been on a host of medications since then. I'm currently on zoloft (400mg morning), zonegran (300mg@ bedtime), xanxar xr (.5 twice daily @ morning & bedtime). I know 250mg of zoloft is the high-end doseage amount, however, the pschy here in Dallas is very well known and good, even has his own research labs, etc. Just recently going off of Effernox XR...because after a while, your system gets use to it and does you no good. About 3 weeks ago, I started Geodon (20mg @ night) to help with the compultions to "check", it's a NIGHTMARE...IT"S NOT FOR ME!!! I can't sleep, mind racing, when I lay down to sleep, it takes 2-3 hours to finally fall asleep. I also had an urge to kick my leggs as far as I can. IT"S WEIRD!!! Needless to say, No More For ME. Along with physo therapy and the medicines from a pscy doctor (not a MD), this has been the best combination for me so far. I haven't tried behavior therapy. I pray that all go well with you. Just remember to keep your focus on the things that really matter...don't sweat the OCD obessive thoughts or compulsions. It's just a bunch of lies that your brain is telling you that are not truth. My spiritual beliefs are very helpful in this journey with OCD!!!

Last edited by moderator2; 06-16-2007 at 04:31 AM.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
(female)

sabpb7454 HB User

Thank you for all the replies. I began my regimen this morning with 25mg and I only felt a bit lightheaded at first with increased anxiety at a family function this afternoon- though I usually get anxious around my extended family. I have decided to stick with the 25mg for 6 days, breaking 3 pills in half, and then move on to the 50mg. I am hoping I will not have to go higher than 50mg as I do not think it's so bad right now. I think these last few months were a bit of a "spike" as my anxiety was running high with work and school and everything else.

I will pray for all of you as I wouldn't wish this on anyone- though I do believe it helps make us who we are and is good (in very small doses).

Take care everyone and have a great weekend

Old 06-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
(female)

Sverige HB User

Hi! I take Zoloft for OCD (actually I'm pure O). Initially diagnosed as PPD but after DD2 was born I happened to see a TV show discussing intrusive thoughts and a light bulb went off. I told my OB and he started me on Zoloft. Initially 50 mg, went up to 100 mg, then added another 50 mg as the intrusive throughts became stronger with PMS. Now I find that just taking 150 mg every day at bedtime pretty much covers it. Still have some, but really manageable. Also was diagnosed hypothyroid and started Synthroid, which is also helping a lot.

Bottom line is that everyone's brain chemistry is different. Try the meds your MD prescribes, give them a chance to work, take them as instructed and communicate with your MD about how you are feeling. Hang in there!

Old 06-26-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
(female)

sabpb7454 HB User

Thanks for the reply, Sverige. I am glad to hear that Zoloft has helped to keep your Pure O at bay.

As for me, I began at 25mg for 8 days, and now I'm on day 3 at 50mg. Thankfully I have NOT experienced ANY side effects-- a bit tired during the day (I take the pill in the am), but that is no different than before. Here and there I have a very slight headache and increased anxiety, but that can be due to allergies- I don't believe it's from the zoloft. I was nervous to begin as I was concerned about side effects, but the Zoloft has been agreeing with me very well.

My doctor said Zoloft takes longer to kick in with OCD symptoms so I am optimistic that it will work for me- it's only been 11 days so far. I haven't noticed any differences except that I haven't been sad at all.

Closed Thread