It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
(male)

member12345 HB User
Just a simple answer from you could help me a lot

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I have come because I'm in need of some reassurance. The problem started off really small, but over time, it has gotten worse because I have never discussed it with anyone. It seemed too trivial at the time and was worried about what people would think of me so I kept it bottled up and hoped it would go away. However, after nearly a year of constant anxiety and recurring thoughts, I have decided to speak openly about it here in hope to clear up my worries so I can move on with my life. To be honest, if someone here could give me the answer I'm seeking, it would mean more to me than winning the lottery! I can't tackle the OCD until I have reassurance in my mind. Sorry to ramble on. I will now tell you what my problem is. As you can imagine, It's quite hard for me to talk about it as it sounds really stupid and embarrassing, but I don't have much of a choice lol. It's a problem to me and needs to be discussed. Here goes:

One day, brother is shaving (If I remember rightly lol). I get out of the bath to dry myself with the towel. Then, I usually go into the toilet and use a bit of tissue to dry my a*s*s (yea I hate not feeling totally dry lol) and blow my nose. oh and in between toes too lol. I don't know why I don't just still use my towel but oh well. Turns out beforehand, my bro had given himself a nasty cut with the razor and used the tissue paper (so he used it first, then I used it later) to blot up the stream of blood lol and unaware at the time, I picked it up and used it for me! When I realised I'd used that tissue, it didn't really bother me, but now it does and been troubling me for nearly a year. I just keep getting these thoughts that something really bad is going to happen to me and that I've got some terrible disease or going to die because of it! Surely it wouldn't be harmful though. It's got to the stage I daren't even look on a w*i*k*i*pedia site incase I read something bad. I know it all sounds weird, but I really need someone to tell me I'm being silly and not to worry at all so I can put my mind at rest. I just need an answer as simple as that and I would be so grateful. I only need a short reply.

What's more, to make it sound even more silly, this was over 7 years ago!!! With this in mind, surely there must be nothing to worry about, but my mind works overtime.

It sounds trivial, but remember, in my mind, it's a big worry to me,

Thankyou.

Last edited by member12345; 08-31-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: Just a simple answer from you could help me a lot

Rationally these thoughts don't make any sense. But that's what makes them "normal" for OCD. If you know they don't make sense (and it seems you do realize that), but still keep having these thoughts, and if these thoughts are having a negative impact on your life, then it's about time you sought an end to these thoughts. Try to find a medical professional who specializes in OCD. Medications can help disrupt the thought cycles enough for you to consciously break free of the pattern. Therapy can give you methods of interrupting these thoughts with the strength of your mind and will. There is relief if you seek it diligently. And the good news about having OCD is that we are typically very diligent.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hello,

Good advice from seriousperson.

If it's any reassurance, your are not silly. You have an obsession about this If you meant is there a possibility that your fear is justified, then I'd say definitely no

Try not paying attention to the content of the thought but to the obsessive quality of it. Like - "Oh, here it comes again, here's that same thought." That's all it is, too. Just an obsessive thought.

Seriousperson, you made me laugh. Diligent, indeed!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
(male)

member12345 HB User

Hi there, thank you for your replies both of you! I really appreciate your help. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, but haven't been able to get on the computer.

I understand that OCD isn't something that can be turned off and left off on command, but I'm no longer going to pay any attention to the thoughts (as soon as I know I need not worry) and I'm filling my time to the max now so my mind has more to focus on.

"If you meant is there a possibility that your fear is justified, then I'd say definitely no"

Thank you Seaturtle for this. This helped me a lot. So, if the blood got into my system (which I'm sure is impossible and bear in mind it was 7 years ago anyway!), it's not something that I should worry about then? Just a simple 'no' is perfect if you think this! To be totally positive and eliminate my anxiety completely, I could have a blood test at the hospital. Good idea? I know it's a bit drastic but I'm just thinking about getting rid of the anxiety completely and get my life back on track.

Last edited by member12345; 09-04-2007 at 12:56 PM.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
(male)

azartoc HB User

member12345! Is your brother sick or something???
Anyway I think there is no posibility you could get anything with this, It is just an obsession, just get rid of it, it doesnt deserve one more second to worry about!

Sorry for the reassurance!!! but it is the true!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I would say there isn't a possibility, but I'm not sure that will stop you from worrying about this.

If a blood test would truly set your mind at ease, then go ahead and have it done. Just MHO - but if you have OCD, you will still not believe it, or you'll develop another obsession.

Please do consider getting treatment for OCD. 7 years of fear is a lot of life spent suffering - and with treatment, you can get a handle on this.
Let us know what's happening. Best to you.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
(male)

member12345 HB User

Hi azartoc,

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
member12345! Is your brother sick or something???
Oh no, he isn't sick or anything, has downs syndrome but apart from that there is nothing wrong with him. It just got me a little worried because he has something wrong where if he gets a really bad cut from something (eg. a cat scratch), it doesn't fully heal and is scarred for life. But, I seem to be fine anyway ('touch wood', fingers crossed lol). It's just a thought that had gotten way out of hand.

I'm not thinking about this anymore.

Quote:
Sorry for the reassurance!!!
No, it's a great reply . It's the sort of reply I needed to hear.

Quote:
7 years of fear is a lot of life spent suffering
Sorry Seaturtle, forgot to mention,

Luckily, I've only had this on my mind for a little under a year. There is no way I would have been able to bottle it up for 7 years without taking action lol. I guess I kept it bottled up because it seemed really odd and I thought people would think I was being stupid, but I'm glad I eventually brushed up the courage. It certainly wasn't the easiest thing I've had to do.

Anyway, now I have read your thoughts on this, I feel a lot better now. I'm saving the blood test as a very last resort in the future, but the most important thing for me now is to move on and forget about this. I'm not devoting anymore of my time and energy to it. I always thought I could resolve it in my mind without feeling the need to talk about it but that just made it far worse. I just kept getting digging a deeper hole for myself. I just want to say thank you very much for all of your help, especially to Seaturtle! I don't really know what I would have done otherwise. If I need any good help/ advice in the future, I certainly know where to come .

I may be around the forum every now and then to help out other people who are trying to deal with OCD.

Take care .

Old 09-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi Member! I know exactly what you are talking about! My son has OCD and will become uneasy and have intrusive thoughts and worry if he goes near simple things that might burn or cause a chemical reaction. He will think that way if he goes near anyone else's facecloth, even mine or my husband's and he cannot continue in his day if it just seems something isn't right or out of place. He takes Effexor XR and it has been a godsend to him so the frequency of the so-called attacks for him have diminished. He will still question things, but the thoughts don't stick around as much anymore. May I as a mother send out a warm hug to you and suggest maybe speaking to a therapist who's trained not only in obsessive-compulsive disorders, but also who is a compassionate person as well. God bless and let us know how you make out--Hopeto--

Old 09-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
(male)

member12345 HB User

hopetofeelwell1,

I'm sorry your son has OCD. I sympathize it is not an easy illness to live with, but I'm glad to hear he is coping well. I'm trying to avoid medication. Annoyingly enough, I have been on anafranil before, but packed it in because I didn't feel the need to take it anymore; and then this obsession starts ! I'm pretty certain it'll die down over time. To be really honest, the frequency of the thoughts has reduced over the past couple of weeks, although I do feel what is like a cloud hanging over my happiness. Then again, I can't imagine anyone ever finds 'true happiness' so perhaps when I'm expecting to feel extremely happy when I choose not to believe in the negative thoughts, maybe I'm not getting that feeling because it doesn't exist in the normal world! Ahh it's really strange lol. But yep, I've been a bit better thank Goodness . I'm hoping that when I arrange the blood test and get the results back, I'll be even better. Explaining the problem will be trouble and they could refuse it if they feel it's not vital. I will tell them i came into contact with a needle at the back of the garden. It's not worth going round the houses either saying I suffer from OCD and "this happened..." and "as a result I thought this...".

br777,

Thank you for asking your friend . I'll try not to worry. It's just really hard, but I keep trying .

Well, I suppose that's it for now. As I said, the next step is the test and it takes 3 months to get the results so I'll let you know how I get on in about 4-5 months. Once again, you've all been a really huge help and I'm really grateful for it. Take care everyone, and I'll see you around the forum.

Last edited by member12345; 09-15-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Hello there,
(((((((hugs))))))) I feel your pain, worrying about something (and then for so long) really is no fun in any way....

Be wary of the thought that you "can't tackle the OCD until I get some reassurance on (INSERT PARTICULAR OBSESSION)." Ahhhh... I remember having a BIIIIIIIG time worry and told myself, this is sooo big, once I am done with this I will enver worry again... or something like that. ut the nature of OCD seems to be: Giving in to a compulsion (gettign reassurance, e.g.) usually just strengthens the OCD as a whole.

I do feel your pain though so I still want to give you some reassurance: DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THIS!! hey, that was your brother, and you say he has no disease. So if he doesn't show any signs of disease, how could YOU have gotten something from him? He'd probably show symptoms before you.
Seriously, this is really just an obsession. Tell yourself that: "It's just an obsession". End of discussion.

Get help for the OCD!!! THAT really feels GOOOOOOD!!!!

Kathrin

Closed Thread