It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User
prayer rituals?

i have ocd and mine is mainly cleaning ocd, fear i will hurt someone, fear something bad will happen to my children, and prayer rituals. i was wondering if anyone else out there struggles with this. i have only seen it on here rarely. maybe i missed it though. i feel like i have to say prayers all the time. over and over and over. i have to say the same prayer in same order constantly. i feel extremely guilty if i don't finish or if i think i have to say prayer and i do something else and don't. it's like my prayer is not "good enough" or comlete if i don't say it certain way or over and over. i have not always been like this. it has just gotten worse within last year since anxiety has been worse. why do i feel like i have to say prayers over and over and like they are not good enough if that makes sense. i will be in middle of something or somewhere and get this overwhelming feeling like i have to say prayer now and i can't get it off mind until it is done. is this part of ocd? why do i feel so guilty about it?

Old 09-24-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
(male)

cosutton HB User
Re: prayer rituals?

I've been through the exact same thing. You are not alone. See my post entitled My OCD story.
I'm just learning that there are so many people out there that have the same thing. There are doctors that can help you. There are people all over the internet that have the same thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

thank you so much for replying so soon. i feel better. i have heard of others but like i said not a whole lot. thanks again.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 PM   #4
(male)

cosutton HB User

Thanks for the kind words. I wanted to tell you that most of the OCD I've battled in the past have revolved around Religion and Prayer rituals. I still live with them. was going to ask the same question about prayer or religious fears playing a large role in people's OCD. I suspect it's a huge factor in a lot of people's OCD. Religion and OCD seem to be a perfect fit. LOL. I know it was in my case. Fire, brimstone, eternal suffering, good vs evil, guilt, extreme guilt, pennance, repentance, forgiveness, sin....the list goes on and on.....
LOL.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Oh yes, this is a part of the OCD. You can usually tell from the way it gives you anxiety...

I have had TOUCHES of this. Not severe. I think it's not incommon though.

I have a strong faith and I can tell ymself that God who is Love would not see prayer in this way - like some compulsive ritual that has to cause anxiety. God is wayyy above something like that.

Kathrin

Old 09-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

teacher2be HB User

kathrin i agree with you but at times i feel like i have to do that ritual alot. i have noticed stress really brings it on. i am very religious go to church every week i went to a christian school all my life my kids go to a christian school now. its like i know my prayers are good enough for God and he does not expect them to be perfect or said over and over. but it is like that feeling that you have to do it. i see it i understand it and then the feeling is always there to have to say these prayers over and over.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

I really can relate. This sounds very much like a typical OCD thing. I is kind of sad when the OCD "attacks" something as precious as our prayers, right?
Be sure you know that the anxiety is due to the OCD. Make a clear difference bewteen OCD rituals and from-the-heart prayer. (So that you won't start feeling anxious about praying in general.) I know, sometimes the bounderies get blurry.
But with God's help you can make it through this. You can say a prayer to God asking for His gauidance with this.
I will say a prayer for you too!

Kathrin

Old 07-25-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
(male)

Skylerzx HB User

Hello I am new to this board and I have had severe OCD for several years now. A good part of my OCD is related to religion. I am a Christian, and will do silly things like wash my Bible, obsess in many different areas regarding my faith. I have prayed and this is the way to look at this problem for me and many others...The Bible says:
1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

If OCD is hurting us or TORMENTING us in any way....doing rituals, compulsive and painful compulsions...Then this is not of God...and something that God wouldn't want us to do. God is Love, not pain. Regardless, of your denomination. This has helped me a great deal regarding my own religious compulsions...This is information you probably would not get from any type of counsiling, because they are not living this problem...we are! This of course is not a cure but a very good start. Hope it helps. With Love Skylerzx

Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Wonderfully said, Sky.

Also:

Matthew 11: 28“Come to me, all of you who are weary and loaded down with burdens, and I will give you rest. 29Place my yoke on you and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble,[j] and you will find rest for your souls, 30because my yoke is pleasant,[k] and my burden is light.”

Closed Thread