It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

obessions with perfume

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 AM   #1
xxxzoexxx
Inactive
(female)

xxxzoexxx HB User
obessions with perfume

This is quite embarressing for me to talk about, because it sounds like such a stupid obession, and almost as if it's fake, but it does consume alot of my time.

I seem to be obsessed with perfumes. I always feel the need to buy them. if i have seen one and i like it, my mind will not stop bugging me untill i buy it. I can't sleep because of it, and it's almost as if i'm thinking what if i don't buy it, i could have missed a great oppertunity. My mind almost tells me my life will change if i get a certain perfume!?

It's so frustrating, as my thoughts are going crazy, and i can't think of anything else. my anxiety just gets worse so then i eventually give in and buy the perfume, but it's not good enough for long, as the same thing will happen again, and i'll want to buy another one. lets just say i sell alot online! This obession is robbing me! i'm thinking this is part of my OCD, can anyone shed some light on this?

also does anyone else have an obession with buying?

Last edited by xxxzoexxx; 09-27-2007 at 06:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 PM   #2
purplegirl1
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User
Re: obessions with perfume

I think this type of obsession (buying) is something that happens often.....
Almost like compulsive shopping, is this the only product you "have" to buy like that? Do you go for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

Have you ever tried to "sit with the anxiety" and see what happens if you don't give in and buy it? It will be very uncomfortable to sit with the anxiety but that is Cog. Beh. Therapy....

Old 10-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
marshmello
(female)

marshmello HB User
Re: obessions with perfume

As soon as I read your post xxxzoexxx, I smiled because I have somewhat of the same obsession with perfumes. I must have at least 40 bottles of perfume along with dozens of perfume oils and body sprays. Mine is more of a "scent fetish" because I have just as many lotions, home fragrance oils, candles and air fresheners. My scent fetish is so bad, that I have to wear a different perfume everyday and will not repeat a fragrance within the same month. I've even written lists of which fragrance I'll wear each day for the next 2 months! I obviously have alot of time on my hands but I can't help it. Like you, if I come across a beautiful fragrance, I'll obsess over it until I get it. I don't sell any of my perfumes but I've given away several bottles to my mom as many of them were duplicates. (Bought the duplicates in fear of running out and not being able to get more at a later date).

I'm not sure if this obsession will ever go away, but I'm ok with it since I'm not hurting anyone or stealing to continue it. Everything is neatly organized in my large master bath. Well..there are stock piles in another closet but it's all neat. The only down fall is some of my credit debt due to all of my spending excursions online. (But, I'm proud to say, I've drastically changed those habits within the past 2 years). My family is amazed at my fetish but at least I can say I, my house, my office and my car ALL smell fabulous!

Closed Thread