It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
(female)

nikki16 HB User
Does anyone else sleep to turn your mind off?

Does anyone else use sleep to turn your mind off? I realize now that's how I handled my OCD over the years when I didn't know I had OCD. I would just nap as much as possible to catch a break. A few people had mentioned that maybe I was depressed. I didn't feel depressed or especially tired, I just had a nap to regroup and turn off whatever I was obsessing about. The big episode I went through where I was diagnosed with OCD I couldn't sleep because I had (kinda still have but not as bad) a fear that I would sleepwalk and harm someone without being able to control myself. That was tough because I didn't have my sleep tactic to regroup, plus I couldn't get any sleep at night which made my mind more out of whack and the anxiety worse. I also play mindless internet games because I can tune-out and turn off by overactive mind for awhile. Anyone else do this?

The Following User Says Thank You to nikki16 For This Useful Post:
justme024 (10-25-2012)
Old 10-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User
Re: Does anyone else sleep to turn your mind off?

I think it's a normal reaction to want to sleep to shut our OCD minds off. I know that sometimes at night, just right before bed, when I first lay down, my mind will become very active. I treasure falling asleep and shutting off my mind for awhile. I'm a strong woman of faith, though, and I also pray to God for relief/healing/strength when my OCD bothers me.

danni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I usually try to lie down and sleep for an hour or so in the early evening. By then, I'm usually frazzled and just feeling terribly down, and feel as If I cannot take any more. I take a Xanax and lie down tihe my cats all around me on my bed and drift off for an nour or so (sometimes, I've exhausted myself without knowing it, and then I can sleep for 3 or 4 hours. Then I get up, the night is quiet, the traffic has gone down, and I can be more peaceful.

Often, I wish I could just sleep for an entire day, if things are very difficult. Of course, I can't, but oh, it would be nice. On the other hand, things are just still there when we wake up.

I haven't found anything that turns my mind off as well as sleeping.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
(female)

kateyy0978 HB User

I know exactly what you mean! I have done the same thing for quite awhile. I skin pick, and it gets absolutely brutal at times. When I'm holding tough and attempting not to pick, my mind rushes from one thought to the next to the next about the very act. It drives me mad, it's a never ending circle. Sleeping seems to help slow it down, and after waking up, I feel refreshed and forget all about my quest to pick!

Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

I too sleep alot. I know for sure that if I am obsessing or feeling depressed, I will sleep to feel better. I also get very very tired after work, probably from my medication, and i often take a nap when i get home. If I am home by 5:30pm, I will nap to 7ish or sometimes 8 or 9.. get up and then go back to bed around 11 or 12am....I like to nap but sometimes I don't the feeling I get as like I am sooo tired, i just pass out.. that is from my luvox...

Old 10-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Trixibel HB User

i play snake on my phone. mindless games do help turn the mind off.

Closed Thread