It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2007, 01:00 AM   #1
(female)

Meroko HB User
Question Is There An Ocd Cure That Doesn't Involve Medication?

I'm so desperate to be cured, I've posted my problems with excessive hand washing and fear of contamination once already but no one here has responded, which just makes me feel even worse. If only someone would actually talk to me about this I wouldn't feel so lost and lonely. I want to be completely cured of OCD forever, but I fear use of medication may change me completely. I don't want to change, I just don't want to live feeling like I'm completely crazy 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Please, anyone, I'm begging you to tell me any and all drug free methods to curing my type of disorder. Please please please please please please please please please please please please please, I'm begging begging begging please please don't ignore my posts I need answers and I need them fast!

Last edited by Meroko; 10-14-2007 at 01:01 AM.

Old 10-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
(female)

my2babies HB User
Re: [b]???is There An Ocd Cure That Doesn't Involve Medication???[/b]

Hi there,

I have to say there is no cure for ocd. Medication wont change you it will just make your brain work the way it supposed to be working. What many people have told me is you have to not fight the thoughts just let them be and they will eventually go away. I was on this board a while back and there were people that helped me out so much! What I recommened is reading Brain Lock. It is an awesome book and it will help you out big time it did with me! I have to go back and read it again and again but it helps just knowing I am not losing my mind! I hope you feel better hun and dont feel alone there is someone out there always willing to talk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Re: Is There An Ocd Cure That Doesn't Involve Medication?

Hey Meroko,

first of all, a big hug to you!!
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((MEROKO) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I am so sorry nobody has responded to your other post! personally I don't remember seeing it, but then there are times I am on the board a lot and other times when I stay away for a while.

I can read your desperation in your post. And I know how it feels to be ruled by this OCD thing that just seems to want to take all joy out of life. I went through years of that.

But I am much better now! It is kind of controversial whether there is an actual *cure" for OCD. But the illness can become absolutely managable, and you can get better and feel so much relief you probably can't even imagine it right now.
(That's how it was with me, anyway.)

Basically there are two treatments for OCD. Medication and cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT). Often they are used together for the best possible effect, but either of them alone can also be used. CBT actually changes your brain in much the same way medication does. Brain imagery has shown that. Your brain learns to process the thoughts along different pathways, so they won't get stuck in that OCD loop anymore.

About medication I do have to say that it has helped me a lot. And for years I had also been afraid of it. Of the side effects, and yes, also of the possibility that it might change me, change my personality. What helped me change my mind about this was, among other things, knowing a friend who had been on medication for years and was still a caring, wonderful, warm-hearted person.

I have been on Prozac for over 6 years now and I don't regret it at all. I think the parts of my personality that make me ME have stayed the same. I am still an artist (poet, songwriter), I still care about people (and animals), I still follow the same dreams, I am also still a strong Christian.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Kathrin

Old 10-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
(male)

fastfwd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meroko View Post
I'm so desperate to be cured, I've posted my problems with excessive hand washing and fear of contamination once already but no one here has responded, which just makes me feel even worse. If only someone would actually talk to me about this I wouldn't feel so lost and lonely. I want to be completely cured of OCD forever, but I fear use of medication may change me completely. I don't want to change, I just don't want to live feeling like I'm completely crazy 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Please, anyone, I'm begging you to tell me any and all drug free methods to curing my type of disorder. Please please please please please please please please please please please please please, I'm begging begging begging please please don't ignore my posts I need answers and I need them fast!
OCD can't be completely cured,only controlled
Try 1000mg salmon oil to calm anxiety,zinc-magnesium supplements & protein supplements to help make brain chemicals.cut out sugars & junk foods that drain you and leave you weak,eat healthy foods so that your brain can manufacture needed chemicals.Research mental illness and family history. Exercise or do things that make you feel good about yourself.The less stress=less OCD.Look for any underlying negative patterns in your thinking that could be causing that stress.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

dannic1 HB User

I have two simple words to offer - prayer and belief.

danni : )

Closed Thread