It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
(male)

PikeyBoxer52 HB User
Compulsive picking and bad habits

For awhile now, I've been picking at the zits on my arms. It's been leaving pock-marks, even a few scars, and I'm really trying to stop. Unfortunately, since I realized this is probably related to my OCD, it's very hard to FULLY stop. I get incredibly frustrated because if I continue like this, my arms are going to look like absolute ****** in a few years.

I've also started picking at the black heads on my nose. It's making my nose, red, dry and flaky.

Who do I consult on something like this? A dermatologist and psychologist? Interestingly, I've found my mom does the same thing (only she picks the zits on her face) so this is probably where I got it from.

I also have a bad nail/nail skin biting habit that I really want to get rid off. Every time it seems like I stop these habits from a good while, I break down and catch myself going overboard and begin picking (in that trance like state thats usually associated with OCD).

Help me out here!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: Compulsive picking and bad habits

Well, you certainly aren't alone. I've dealt with these conditions for most of my 54 years, and if you read some of the other threads here, you'll see that it's very common. The best advice I can give is to work on the OCD more than just the symptoms. Try to find a mental health professional who specializes in OCD. By the way, there is a widely accepted theory that various OCD-like habits are not really OCD. So that's another reason to get professional help/opinions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #3
(female)

Carmen06 HB User
Re: Compulsive picking and bad habits

I do the same thing. In the summer, when it gets hotter out, I get little bumps/pimples on my arms, back, neck and upper chest. I pick at them constantly. Right now, I have 4 that have been there since August. I used to have a problem with cliping my nails really short, but overcame that! The problem now is, I pick more, since I have nails. It is a catch 32.

I don't know why I pick at myself all the time, its like I am constantly on a mission to fix something about me, and I end up destructing my body. It is definately OCD. I don't think I need to see a therapist or anything, my habits are not that drastic, plus, trying to find a therapist will just give me one more thing to obsess about.

At this point in my life, I am really just trying to simplify things, I find that the less I have to worry about, the less I pick at myself, and the more relaxed and content I am.

Closed Thread