It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
(female)

barbieko HB User
Effective Medications

What is the latest word on medications. My adult son was taking Prozac for OCD but quit a couple of years ago because of the side effects and his insurance changed and wouldn't cover it anyhow. He's really miserable and now has better insurance and wants me to help him research if there are any better medications out there now? Appreciate any help out there.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MariaBB HB User
Re: Effective Medications

Prozac helped my depression but not my OCD. I'm taking Anafranil now, which cured about 90% of my OCD thoughts and rituals. It is a strong medication, and even though I'm on the lowest dose possible I had some odd side effects. But, to me, the payoff of being free from OCD is well worth it. Anafranil is the brand name, I'm not sure what the generic name is.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

BadMalibu HB User

Barb-

There are many different medications to treat OCD, but mostly therapists will prescribe SSRI's for anxiety and OCD. Some of the more common medications are Prozac, Zoloft, Luvox, Anafranil, and Cymbalta. It's basically a hit or miss thing, and the only way to tell what works for your son is going to be for him to take one of the medications. Different people respond differently to medications so it's best if he combines some good CBT with a light dose of a medication and stays in touch with his PCP and therapist.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
(female)

barbieko HB User

Are primary care doctors prescribing these now?

Old 11-05-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

BadMalibu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieko View Post
Are primary care doctors prescribing these now?
Yes, PCPs can prescribe these medications at any time. I would still recommend that if your son is not in therapy that you try to find a good CBT in your area, as the most effective way to deal with OCD is through therapy and a light dosage of medication. Unfortunately there is no medication that will cure OCD or get rid of OCD, but the medications do take the edge off and give some relief.

The first step is to have your PCP refer you to a good therapist. Once your son is in therapy, the therapist can monitor how your son is doing on his medications. If the therapist feels the medication needs to be changed, they'll call the PCP and recommend an increase or decrease in the medication. Usually CBT's are Psychologists, so they cannot prescribe medications, which is why the therapist will stay in contact with your son's PCP.

Old 11-06-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
(female)

barbieko HB User

Thank you. I know this is the best route. He's not had good luck with therapists before but says he is willing to try again. We just have to find the right one! Thanks again.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbieko View Post
Thank you. I know this is the best route. He's not had good luck with therapists before but says he is willing to try again. We just have to find the right one! Thanks again.

Definitely find a doc who is familiar with OCD and anxiety disorders, that way you will get the best advice possible. While one medication might not work, or might cause side effects, there are a variety of meds out there that all work a little differently so theres good odds that one or two will be better. Another thing to consider strongly is having your son do Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. Studies have shown that CBT can be very effective at combating OCD and CBT + meds are more effective than either alone. I'm currently doing both, Celexa as a med, and CBT and its really made a big difference in my life. Best of luck to you and to your son, he's allready got something special in a mother who cares for him, i know my mom has been a major help for me these past 15 years since i first got OCD. It can get better! It did for me!!

Closed Thread