It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
(male)

bazel HB User
N-Acetyl-cysteine & OCD

Re: OCD

I have tried over the last 30 years every conceivable therapy from transcendental mediation to cognitive behavior therapy and a slew of different medications for OCD. I can honestly state that after 30 years my improvement rate was around 40% and within hours of taking 600 mg N-acetylcysteine (NAC), I achieved somewhere between another 25% to 30% improvement. I am currently on 80 mg Prozac, 50 bus par & 2.5 grams inositol.

I still have some compulsions but they have much less force and it seems my obsessive thinking has almost disappeared. It almost feels like someone turned the switch off in my mind. Now I feel I know how "normal" people feel!

Evidently for OCD consumers itís about glutamate ----something NAC inhibits like rilzoule but whole lot cheaper and available over the counter. Trail now under way at Yale with NAC as augmentation to SSRI by a Dr Coric after a successful use of in one refractory consumer.

I am trying not to get too excited since somehow this could be the placebo effect. However I have never reported anything like this type of affect after taking all different types of medications. I had only one other comparable experience in 30 years for about a week after 6 months of intensive cognitive behavior therapy where I achieved a significant improvement for about three weeks. I lost this improvement and enrolled again in CBT but was never able to maintain my gains.

I made appointment with my physician. I am going to follow through on testing periodically for pulmonary hypertension since one study on mice found this to be a problem---they were using substantially higher dosages and everything else on NAC research-wise seems okay.

bazel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
(male)

Christian73 HB User
Re: N-Acetyl-cysteine & OCD

I just googled it and it seems promising but it's also very early. I'm glad you are having some relief though.

Bumper Sticker in my therapist's office

Closed Thread