It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
(female)

Iloveturtles HB User
Luvox and weight gain

I have been on Luvox 300 mg for several months and have gained about 30 pounds since being on this medication. Has anyone had this problem? I have been on Anafranil for my terrible OCD, but that didn't seem to help. Luvox has helped pretty good, but can't stand the weight gain. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

BadMalibu HB User
Re: Luvox and weight gain

Turtles-

Well, unfortunately with some medications there is the side effect of weight gain, but there are some things you can do. Obviously if the medication is making you gain weight, you're going to have to decrease your caloric intake to make up for the added weight gain from the medication, and also increase excercise to burn off the extra calories. Some medications make you gain weight even if your diet hasn't changed, and some will make you gain weight from water retention. If the Luvox decreses your symptoms, then obviously it's worth working with your diet and excercise routine.

If you change your diet and excercise and still notice a problem, I would talk to your PCP and see if they have any suggestions on how you can keep yourself from gaining extra weight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
(female)

ocdsux108 HB User

Iloveturtles,
So, Luvox helped you?? I posted a question about luvox the other day because I'd like to know how terrible the side effects are. Have you had any other effects...nausea, headaches, etc...
Love to know all there is to know because I have ocd when it comes to taking meds! thank you!!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

I've been on Luvox for about eight months, and have actually lost weight (also on Lamictal and little Wellbutrin). But I have an ED, too (but haven't been trying to lose weight). The Luvox has definitely helped with obsessive thought for me, though.

Some people gain, some lose on different meds. I hope you find a way to lose the weight in a healthy manner. Meds are always a cost/benefit thing, sadly.

Seaturtle

Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

I Have Been On Luvox About 10 Years, Have Gained Weight But Also On Other Medications - Birth Control - In That Time Frame.. So Not Sure If The Weight Gain For Me Is Related To The Luvox.... Hey, 30 Pound Weight Gain Is Not Bad Especially If You Are Mentally Feeling Better, Ya Know...

Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
(female)

Iloveturtles HB User

Thanks for all your responses. I unfortunately have an ED as well too, but have fibromyalgia too. I have kept from exercising do to the pain of fibro, but I have an appt with my pcp on Wed and I am going to ask what he thinks about it. It has helped my OCD thoughts and the Anafranil didn't work as well. I was on Lamictal at one point too, but it made me moody. I think I may have taken Effexor and/or Wellbutrin in the past and it gave me terrible nightmares. I also started a part-time job in addition to my full-time job to help start paying some bills off since my fiance and I are getting married soon. No stress in my life...lol!!

Old 11-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

Just Take Some Time And Try To Relax!!! You Deserve It...

Old 11-12-2007, 08:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

seaturtle HB User

Hello, fellow turtle,

Stress, what? Good lord! Probably makes your fibro flare, too. I know the fibro alone can cause weight gain.

I have that, also. I've been helped a great deal by the anti-mucus treatment (don't think I am allowed to mention other meds here?? - not sure -)

Having all this happening plus the fibro, sigh, you're doing very well to handle all this.

Just a thought: could you start with some really mild exercise and work through the pain? That's helped me, too.

Let us know what the doc says, and best to you,

Seaturtle

Closed Thread