It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

amy4321 HB User
Do i have ocd... i'm too scared to talk to my parents or doctor?

Do have ocd im too scared to talk to my parents or doctor, im not sure how long but for about a year (and i started to look at adhd and though i had that but then i saw OCD and i knew it was like that ! Restenly my parents said we think you have adhd as i cant cope with homework at school, anbd shout alot but i think they are just saying that becuase they havent doneanything about it) i have though i have had ocd, it all started by me doing something with one hand and thiking its not fair on the other, and it carryed on and know i have to do something 4 times, i dont know why i just have to, and its really doing my head in i sit there turing on and off the lighs and my dad keeps telling me to stop else ill bust it..but he doesnt reolise i have to, but i cant stop..Even know when i made a mistake i have to delect loads of my wring and re-write it..but sometimes its not as bad as they day before..And i always feel as if i have to touch something, i please help im really confushed and sacred i have done tests about ocd and they are positive,but i dont feel asif someone will die if i dont, its morelike someone will be in our house so i have to, im really scared of dieing to i cry so much when i think aboutit,, has this got anything to do with it? i dont dare talk to my parents becuase i dont know what to do! do i have ocd? How do i talk to my mum, what do i say? Is it a big deal to have ocd? thankyou for helping me x

Last edited by moderator2; 11-17-2007 at 07:25 PM. Reason: do not post your age

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: Do i have ocd... i'm too scared to talk to my parents or doctor?

You really to talk to which ever parent you think would listen better. It is hard to tell what is going on but certainly something and you need to talk to someone who can help you in the right direction. No matter what you have you will need your parents consent to do anything anyway so start there. Or with a close relative...school nurse just anyone that can help you sort out your thoughts. Good luck...there are medicines that can help you gain control but you have to talk to someone first.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-17-2007 at 07:27 PM.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
(female)

kellogg HB User

I recommend you talk with the counselor or social worker at your school (or a teacher that you trust). That person will be able to help you discuss your concerns with your parents. You will be okay. It will probably be a big relief for you if you talk to your parents about what is troubling you. You are very smart to come to a board like this for help. Try to be brave. You will be okay

Old 11-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
(female)

amy4321 HB User

Thankyou for helping x

Old 11-16-2007, 08:12 PM   #5
(male)

SMMSkid33 HB User
Exclamation Re: DoDo i have ocd... i'm too scared to talk to my parents or doctor?

I am just like you. I am a teenager and I have have a strange form of OCD since I was 10. First, I started thinking of letters, trying to even the vowels and consonants. Now, I am thinking of numbers trying to divide them by two until they equal a number that is multiplied by up to 16. Strange and hard to describe. If you have anything like this please tell me. Also, i take big strides to make sure i step on something different each time. I need help.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #6
(female)

kellogg HB User

I have a similar thing with letters. I count letters in words (mostly signs, etc. that I see, not necessarily when I'm reading a book, etc.) and try to get them to equal an even number. (Vowels are = 2 points, consonants = 1, x, y, z = 2 if need )! You're okay...your symptoms sound like classic OCD. I've gotten used to the counting and it doesn't bother me, really, it's just a part of who I am. I have strange things with my feet when I'm walking, too. Either counting steps in a square in the pavement, or having to sort of drag my feet to feel the balls of my feet. Wierd, I know! But, it's okay. Sometimes it's extremely annoying, though, and hard to conceal when I'm walking with other people.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
(female)

amy4321 HB User

Im not like that really, i've never heard off that mine is more like just having to count to 4, is that part of ocd? And i sweat alot is that part of having ocd?
please reply asap x

Old 11-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #8
(female)

es4884 HB User

Yes, I am sure you do have OCD. It can happen for a variety of reasons, from a virus to stress to genetics/brain chemistry. It's not a big deal, though. You can't help it. I've had OCD for as long as I can remember, and I used to be so ashamed and scared to tell anyone. Now, since I know so many people with OCD or anxiety disorders, I don't care at all anymore. What you need to do is tell your parents and go see a psychiatrist. Medicine can greatly help and you can also try cognitive behavioral therapy. It's not something to be scared about, so don't keep it in and suffer by yourself.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-17-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
(female)

es4884 HB User

Yes, having to count to 4 is a symptom of OCD. You might be sweating because of your stress and anxiety.

Last edited by moderator2; 11-17-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:08 AM   #10
(female)

amy4321 HB User

It could be that but i have to wear a top under my clothes at school, and i only wear black and white clothes as its not noticable. Im not sure if this is it, but it may be my school which coursed it,as it makes me so stressed mum and dad say im a diffrent person when im not at school.

Thankyou for helping =]

Old 11-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #11
(male)

cosutton HB User

Honestly, what I would do, is let your parents think that you have ADHD. Let them make a Dr's Appointment for you and then tell the Dr. you have OCD, but are too scared to tell your parents. The Dr. will then help you with the parent part and don't be afraid to tell the Dr. anything. They've heard it ALL before and if they haven't then you don't want them anyway. Just make sure that the Dr's appointment is with someone that treats other disorders besides ADHD.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:38 AM   #12
(female)

VagrantGypsy HB User

Hey,

It definitely sounds like you have OCD. Don't take the diagnostic criteria for OCD too literally, there's a wide variation in fears and compulsions. When I was littler, I had to turn the lights on and off, open and shut doors, take my clothes on and off, etc., a certain number of times. Four is just your particular number, with me, I had to avoid doing things 2, 3, or 6 times, and often had to do some combination of like, 11 times + 7 or something. It took forever, it took up all my time, and my family yelled at me and told me to just stop, not realizing I couldn't. My mom thought I was just being a brat for the longest time.

You said you're afraid someone will be in your house - like a burgler or something? That's totally an OCD fear. Anyway, it doesn't matter what the fear is or how many times you repeat something, it's OCD because you had an unaccountable fear or a fear that isn't exactly logical, and had a compulsion to do something (4 times in your case), to prevent the bad thing from happening. You should definitely tell your parents about OCD, show them some information about it, or this thread or something. If they're like my parents, though - it might take them a long time to do anything about it, but you really need a psychologist or psychiatrist or it might end up getting worse.

Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 AM   #13
(female)

amy4321 HB User

But how can i tell them? Because i would feel silly, and i dont want to make them sit down and talk to me, i dont know why, i just dont know.
Its hard to explain, but thannkyou x

Old 11-30-2007, 07:11 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User

amy, it sounds like you want to avoid something that might be an anxious situation, something that is pretty normal in general but is a much more exagerated thing in OCD'ers like us. Avoidance is what OCD wants more than anything! It provides temporary relief but looks you into long term dependence on more avoidance. If it were a living creature I'd say OCD feasts on avoidance!

OCD is a very real thing and its not just going to vanish as much as it would be nice if it did! You can have a much improved life if you do the right things about managing OCD, and getting your parents help will make it 10x easier!

I know its hard, really really hard, but you CAN do it! And you'll be happy you do!

Closed Thread