It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
(male)

nixie1 HB User
OCD creating PTSD?

Question, with my OCD I constantly struggle through the day thinking about thinking about past car wrecks, what I said to someone in high school 30 years ago, basically flash backs everything from events in the past to things like I didn't leave a tip at the restaurant last night.

I'm wondering in the classical sense of OCD, being physical activities that impair living. But, Obsessive Thinking (day/night for years) could that be interrelated to PTSD?

In other words, if you have OCD where you constantly "recall / think about events a zillion times in your head about past events" couldn't that lead to PTSD since one is constantly thinking about trivial and non-trivial past events?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

BadMalibu HB User
Re: OCD creating PTSD?

Nixie-

I'm currently in the process of reading the book, "The Imp Of The Mind" by Dr. Lee Baer and he had some interesting things to say about the correlation between PTSD and OCD. Basically he says that the real difference between someone who has PTSD and someone who has OCD is that the person that has PTSD struggles with thoughts of events that have actually happened, whereas someone who has OCD thinks about imagined situations that might occur. People with OCD try to reassure themselves that a situation never occured, whereas someone with PTSD knows a situation occured and have trouble dealing with it.

You asked if someone with OCD could develop PTSD by simply thinking about non-trivial events constantly, and in my opinion I would have to say no. PTSD and OCD are two different issues. The reason I say no is because of what I stated above, which is there is usually a traumatic event associated with PTSD, but not with OCD.

Then again, sometimes there are underlying issues in people with OCD that can trigger their symptoms since symptoms of OCD can occur as early in age as 3, or in late in age as 65.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread