It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
(female)

CatGirl1975 HB User
OCD Hoarding?

I have been reading this book about OCD and it list many symptoms of OCD. It says that Hoarding useless things with no value like newspapers, magazines, nick nacks and garbage is a symptom.

I have finally accepted that I hoard shoes and makeup..I always "felt good" buying shoes, but I never wear them. I like to see the boxes stacked up in my closet. I have over 30 pairs still in boxes stacked in my closet, never worn plus countess other pairs about. I also buy makeup. I make sure I always catch the gift with purchase makeup/bags. I go to different stores when they have this promotion to make sure I get the different kinds. Again, I never wear the makeup..I have so much, I could pass it down to my daughter...My question is, everything I hoard does have value. It is high end department store brands. Is this the same "hoarding" like this book mentions?

Last night I wanted to get out of the house for a while so my ex mother in law and I hit the mall..Sure enough I found a pair of shoes..I know I dont need them, but I wanted them. But something else changed... I wonder if it is possible for my OCD to switch "hoarding" to other items.? I think it can and did..I was walking to pay for the shoes and a beautiful coat caught my eye..I tried it on, and I wanted it..I really don't need a new coat either. But this is where I was fighting the OCD..I wanted it, but it was expensive and I know I don't need it..I asked the sales clerk to hold the coat while we went to other stores..Hoping that getting away from it would calm my anxiety..For an hour and half while walking around the mall, I obsessed over this coat..It didn't help that my mother in law kept telling me to buy it, that I "deserve it". In the end, I bought it..Now I have it hanging in my bedroom, on my hutch, just so I can see it..I have a sense of security just by looking at it..Does anybody else do this? Is this the same hoarding? Can it change from one item(s) to another? Will I be obsessed to buy coats now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
(female)

Canadagirl66 HB User
Re: OCD Hoarding?

Hoo boy, do I understand this. I'm hoping for your sake that you don't end up collecting coats, but it may happen. I buy and hoard clothes a LOT. For a time it may be twinsets, or jackets, dresses...and of course I have to have them in more than one color if I really like them. For some reason I feel secure having this stuff. 90% of what I hoard I don't wear either. When I amass too much, I resell what I can. But it makes me feel better to have them and look at them. I too have certain items lined & stacked (& stuffed) in my closets. Which of course are overflowing and spilling out all over. Packages keep arriving in the mail with more clothes.

I don't hoard newspapers or anything like that. I feel my things have value as you mentioned yours did too. I definitely have other OCD issues. Not sure how much help this may be to you, but you're not alone.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #3
(female)

CatGirl1975 HB User

Thanks Canadagirl-

Im glad to hear that other OCD'ers do this..I guess it doesnt have to be useless items to be called a "OCD hoarder"..Not only do I over shop for myself, I do the same for my daughter..I know I have to stop doing that..

I too get rid of (try) the clothes, if I don't wear something for one year, I donate it to a Womans shelter..But I never get rid of the shoes or makeup..I have heard that people with other mental illness do this..That there is a "hoarding" disease..But my house isn't piled up to the ceilings with junk..

I am a size 8 or 10, depending on the cut..I have bought items that were a small 8 and tell myslef, "if I lose 7 pounds these would fit perfect!! But I don't...lol...I stopped buying things on the smaller side..

Good luck to ya.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
(female)

Canadagirl66 HB User

Sadly, it runs in our family too. While I don't have things piled up to the ceiling or anything, I have to continually battle clutter, and have a number of 'hot spots'. My brother affected his kids' lives with so much hoarding, they moved out as soon as they could. One son built a sort of 'cabin' on the property (acreage) to live in before he moved out on his own. The main house and cabin is now filled with stuff. My brother very much enjoys things from the 'old days' such as heavy metal vacuum cleaners, etc., etc., ETC.(!), but he'll collect 10 or so, all of which don't work. And the list goes on. He moved in with a son for awhile, then bought another house because the first was unliveable. He's trying to go through and clean up the original house, but I see he is 'collecting' things that are going to his new house now. He insists he doesn't need meds either.

I really hate being like this, but so far all the book reading, counselling, therapy, meds, etc., haven't gotten me to where I'd like to be.

Closed Thread