It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #1
(female)

Shauleen HB User
Other people's germs.

I am avoiding answering the phone and door because I know it's my neigbour who wants to use my computer (as she's been doing so for a while now) But I just can't face the whole process of disinfecting the chair, mouse, keyboard and surrounding areas after she leaves, any more. Yesterday she sneezed while using it and I actually swore, pretending I'd been annoyed at something else. But I felt sick.

If someone sneezes in the supermarket aisle, I change directions and do without what I needed. Winter is a nightmare.

I've been like this all my life but no-one knew about OCDs when I was growing up so I soon learnt to deal with it how I could and shut up about things being 'dirty'. And no-one knows now either. I remember the very first time I experienced it; a friend touched an apple I was about to eat (when I was about 7) and I had to throw it away.

I feel so guilty for feeling how I do but can't help it. I can't visit hospitals or old people's homes because of the germs and spores in the atmosphere - not to mention the scrubbing of hands after I get in from such places, including after using supermarket trolleys.

I can't eat in other people's houses no matter HOW clean they are. I can eat in restaurants if I don't see who has cooked or touched the food, but once I do - no way. Having said all that, I'm sitting here in a kitchen which is an absolute tip (serious - not joking there) but they're MY germs.

Does this thing get worse or has my sneezey neighbour pushed me over the edge this week? Oh, I'm new here by the way, hello everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User
Wink Re: Other people's germs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauleen;3388***
I am avoiding answering the phone and door because I know it's my neigbour who wants to use my computer (as she's been doing so for a while now) But I just can't face the whole process of disinfecting the chair, mouse, keyboard and surrounding areas after she leaves, any more. Yesterday she sneezed while using it and I actually swore, pretending I'd been annoyed at something else. But I felt sick.

If someone sneezes in the supermarket aisle, I change directions and do without what I needed. Winter is a nightmare.

I've been like this all my life but no-one knew about OCDs when I was growing up so I soon learnt to deal with it how I could and shut up about things being 'dirty'. And no-one knows now either. I remember the very first time I experienced it; a friend touched an apple I was about to eat (when I was about 7) and I had to throw it away.

I feel so guilty for feeling how I do but can't help it. I can't visit hospitals or old people's homes because of the germs and spores in the atmosphere - not to mention the scrubbing of hands after I get in from such places, including after using supermarket trolleys.

I can't eat in other people's houses no matter HOW clean they are. I can eat in restaurants if I don't see who has cooked or touched the food, but once I do - no way. Having said all that, I'm sitting here in a kitchen which is an absolute tip (serious - not joking there) but they're MY germs.

Does this thing get worse or has my sneezey neighbour pushed me over the edge this week? Oh, I'm new here by the way, hello everyone.
Hi Shauleen,

Welcome to the boards! I understand how you feel about germs, I have a obsession with germs too. Are you on medication? Are you seeing a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist for your OCD? I was just wondering because people with OCD need medication and therapy to keep their OCD under control. OCD is a chemical inbalance in the brain, OCD is cureable. If I remember right, OCD is 90% cureable.

I really think that you should see a Psychiatrist for medication, and see a Psychologist for therapy on your OCD. If you are seeing a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist for therapy on your OCD, ask him or her about doing CBT for your OCD. CBT is really helpful with OCD.

You want to keep your OCD under control before it gets worse, it get's worse if you keep on giving in to what your OCD is telling you to do. The more you give in, the more hungrier it gets. I really do understand what you are going through, because I have OCD too. You are not alone in this, alot of people have OCD.

OCD isn't easy to get rid of, it's really hard. It's like a addiction, but you have to do it if you want to get well.

I hope that this post is helpful to you. Keep us posted on how you are doing with your OCD, we care and understand.

Good luck!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
(female)

Shauleen HB User
Re: Other people's germs.

Hello Sari, no I haven't had any treatment at all. I haven't actually discussed it with anyone at all, ever, before. And the only reason I'm doing so on here is because I'm anonymous. Are there any books worth reading? I really don't think I could approach a doctor about this after all these years.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
(female)

CatGirl1975 HB User

Hi there!!

I understand how you feel..I am afraid of germs/diseases..I live my life trying to avoid them..And I do this by washing my hands all the time, not touching anything in public, I even carry lysol wipes in my purse..A family member likes to use my computer(which is in my bedroom)and it just drives me up the wall!!

With me, I carry out my rituals..I know we are suppose to fight them, but I find it easier just following through with them..But what I have a hard time dealing with is my mental obsessions..No matter what I do to fight those intrusive thoughts, they stay..I guess it is just a personal fight, everyone is different..

I find that I function better knowing that I have lysol wipes in my purse, that I use my coat/sleeve to open a public door, and that a restroom is always near to wash my hands..

Best of luck to you..This board is a great place to ask questions or just to vent..Everyone here is wonderful..

Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

dksea HB Userdksea HB Userdksea HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauleen View Post
Hello Sari, no I haven't had any treatment at all. I haven't actually discussed it with anyone at all, ever, before. And the only reason I'm doing so on here is because I'm anonymous. Are there any books worth reading? I really don't think I could approach a doctor about this after all these years.
Welcome Shauleen, first, I hope you feel some relief knowing that you aren't alone!! While we don't all have the same obsessions and compulsions, fears and anxieties, we all have OCD or know someone who does. First and foremost we are here to reach out to each other and provide support!

You've taken a huge step by reaching out and talking to people, even anonymously about your problems.

There are a number of good books about OCD, you should find them in the mental health section of your local bookstore, but one of the first and most respected (and i think it would apply in your situation especially) is called "The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing" by Dr. Judith Rapoport. There are a number of other books out there too, but thats a good one to start with.

Finally, I know its hard to think about but really really REALLY consider seeing a doctor about your OCD, the difference that even low doses of medication and therapy can make in your life is well worth it. It's a decision you definitely won't regret.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
(female)

Shauleen HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksea View Post
Welcome Shauleen, first, I hope you feel some relief knowing that you aren't alone!! While we don't all have the same obsessions and compulsions, fears and anxieties, we all have OCD or know someone who does. First and foremost we are here to reach out to each other and provide support!

You've taken a huge step by reaching out and talking to people, even anonymously about your problems.

There are a number of good books about OCD, you should find them in the mental health section of your local bookstore, but one of the first and most respected (and i think it would apply in your situation especially) is called "The Boy Who Couldn't Stop Washing" by Dr. Judith Rapoport. There are a number of other books out there too, but thats a good one to start with.

Finally, I know its hard to think about but really really REALLY consider seeing a doctor about your OCD, the difference that even low doses of medication and therapy can make in your life is well worth it. It's a decision you definitely won't regret.
Thank you DKsea, I will look for that book, thanks for your reply. And I might make an appointment with the doctor. I think things are getting a bit worse recently so I may have to. Like someone else mentioned in this thread, I also can't touch door handles or rails outside my house - well, I can, but it all makes me feel rather sick. I can use brand new plastic cutlery for eating yoghurts etc, outside of the house but I could never use stuff that had been washed in a sinkful of contaminated water in restaurants, etc. I spend a fortune on paper towels for my own kitchen, and I definitely could not use public toilets. If it's a dire emergency, I use tissues to open the door, close the door, flush the loo, open the door again, turn on the taps and the drier, open the outside door and only then can I throw away the tissue paper. Even then I can't wait to get my hands washed properly in my own house.

Old 01-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
(female)

Shauleen HB User

CatGirl, hi. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I'm exactly the same as you with public toilets, I know exactly how you feel. It's not the first time I've pulled my sleeve over my hands to open doors if I run out of tissues. And if I'm with anyone else I always make sure they do the same or I feel my car is contaminated with anything they touch when they get back in. I think it's just being normal and I can't imagine not doing it.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User

Quote:
Hi Shauleen,

There is some really good books about OCD. I don't know the names of all of them, but I do have one called: "Brain Lock" By Jeffrey M Schwartz and Beverly Beyette. I think that it is good that you wanna read about OCD, but
I still think that you should see a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist for your OCD.
I know that it is easy to talk to somebody about your OCD in person, but you need to do it to get help.That's what Psychiatrist's and Psychologist's are here for.

Also you are not alone in this, and you are not crazy. Alot of people suffer from OCD. Some people with OCD don't know about OCD and they don't know that they have it. Also alot of people are on the road to recovery from it.
OCD is treatable, and it's up to you if you want to be well or not. You have to do it yourself.

I wish you the best of luck on your OCD, I really hope that you will be able to recover from it. Let me know how you are doing, I understand what you are going through ( I really do).

Old 01-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #9
(female)

Shauleen HB User

Thank you, Sari. I will. And I will let you know.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User

Quote:
Thank you, Sari. I will. And I will let you know.
Hi Shauleen,

You're welcome, I am glad that I can help. Keep me posted.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User

I don't have a huge obsession of others germs, but I hate sitting in a public seat - I inspect the seat to see if there is visible dirt, l

Boothes - like in a booth, that space behind you where food or dirt falls, ahhhhhh I hate it.....my husband lovesssss booths.....so it is hard for me - I usually sit there but sit forward and leave my jacket behind me....which bothers me but I deal. I skeeve for a few minutes and then it goes away.

Movie theatre seats, yuk. hate that too

airplane seats, ahhhhh
other people's car seats that have dirt on them, oh god, help me, lol
so yeah I guess I do have a fear of germs, LOL

Old 01-20-2008, 08:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I don't have any kind of condition but I never allow anyone but my immediate family to use anything of mine so time to stop the neighbor. You don't have to go into a long song and dance but you should of said NO from the get go. Otherwise you will just blow up the next time and that can all be avoided if you just say no. There is nothing wrong with saying NO to anyone for anything. Whenever they ask you just say you are using it...and pretty soon they will get the hint and if they don't then just keep saying you are using it.

Closed Thread