It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

pengworm79 HB User
Please help, Does OCD affect your mood and personality?

As you probably know my six year old daughter is having trouble with OCD. The doctors also said there were issues with Gen. Anxiety Disorder,Seperation Anxiety,and Phobias. Okay so I've been reading about all of that and from my own problems let's just say I know a bit about the anxiety stuff.

But something is just not sitting right with me about my daughter's behavior and I'm hoping you can tell me if this sort of "fits" with OCD or not. Just like the first bout with this in the early spring of last year at times my daughter's personality changes. It's not like she turns mean or angry or defiant or anything. I guess it's just like she disappears, her "real" self I mean. She seems to be almost a shell of her normal self consumed with whatever thought seems to be real to her at the time.

Today and tonight for instance she kept gagging saying she thought she was going to throw up because she was so hungry. Now after almost all of these times she had just eaten. So I asked her if she wanted something to eat. Some of the times she did and then she wouldn't eat it or would only eat a bit of it. I tried as hard as I could but after hours of this it was getting hard. Before bed she was gagging again because she was so hungry after she had already eaten a meal and a snack. I should mention my daughter is sort of a chronic gagger, she can gag about just about anything but still this was weird. So I explained to her that it was bedtime and I'd ask her one more time if she was hungry or not and if she wanted a bowl of cereal. One time she'd say "No I'll just get through it."

When I'd question her about what that meant she'd say that even though she was hungry she didn't need to eat that she'd be okay. Then I very calmly said something to her like "honey you are six years old you know if you're hungry or not. You knew yesterday and the day before so what's different now that you cannot seem to decide if you're hungry or not?" Of course she said she didn't know and that she was just tired. I tried to explain to her that it was just a thought getting stuck again but I don't know if it got through to her.

Most of the day and night she just sort of seemed down not her normal self. I understand that everyone isn't cheery all the time but I know my own child. This is the same kind of stuff that happened the last time around. We'd have days where she just seemed to be sort of in a fog that we just could not lift. Like she just wasn't all the way there. But then some days she'll be her normal self just worried. Then some of the bad days we'll see little glimmers of her but that's it.

So I'm wondering does this sound like part of the things she's been diagnosed with? I'm wondering if the anxiety and ocd and all the fear and worries just get the best of her and she just gets overwhelmed and depressed and sort of shuts down. Does that happen to anyone or does this sound like something completely different?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
(female)

deenie HB User
Definitely

I think any mood disorder will affect how you act and interact with others. When I get ruminating/worrying about things, I can be very self-centered and impatient. With kids, you can't be that way so that's why I'm trying meds until my kids get in school and I have the time to devote to dealing with it the natural way (exercise, CBT, etc).

Kids always keep you guessing and your DD is probably the same. My DS has some sensory issues and goes through phases all the time. If something is overwhelming him (like he hates to walk on sand), he just can't deal with anything. The few times we tried taking him to the beach, he's thrown fits. We try to ease him into it but if walking on the sand becomes too much, he'll just refuse to move and scream. This is a fun loving kid who is mostly game for anything these days. We'll try again this summer but he's received OT for sensory processing problems and has come a long way. It might be better this year. It's just that kids can easily get overwhelmed and don't have the same coping mechanisms that we adults have. It's quite possible that your DD is reflecting that in her behavior too. I'm sure that as she gets help, you'll see this decrease. Encourage her to talk about what she's feeling, if you can. Sometimes she just may not know though.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:18 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User
Re: Please help, Does OCD affect your mood and personality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengworm79 View Post
As you probably know my six year old daughter is having trouble with OCD. The doctors also said there were issues with Gen. Anxiety Disorder,Seperation Anxiety,and Phobias. Okay so I've been reading about all of that and from my own problems let's just say I know a bit about the anxiety stuff.

But something is just not sitting right with me about my daughter's behavior and I'm hoping you can tell me if this sort of "fits" with OCD or not. Just like the first bout with this in the early spring of last year at times my daughter's personality changes. It's not like she turns mean or angry or defiant or anything. I guess it's just like she disappears, her "real" self I mean. She seems to be almost a shell of her normal self consumed with whatever thought seems to be real to her at the time.

Today and tonight for instance she kept gagging saying she thought she was going to throw up because she was so hungry. Now after almost all of these times she had just eaten. So I asked her if she wanted something to eat. Some of the times she did and then she wouldn't eat it or would only eat a bit of it. I tried as hard as I could but after hours of this it was getting hard. Before bed she was gagging again because she was so hungry after she had already eaten a meal and a snack. I should mention my daughter is sort of a chronic gagger, she can gag about just about anything but still this was weird. So I explained to her that it was bedtime and I'd ask her one more time if she was hungry or not and if she wanted a bowl of cereal. One time she'd say "No I'll just get through it."

When I'd question her about what that meant she'd say that even though she was hungry she didn't need to eat that she'd be okay. Then I very calmly said something to her like "honey you are six years old you know if you're hungry or not. You knew yesterday and the day before so what's different now that you cannot seem to decide if you're hungry or not?" Of course she said she didn't know and that she was just tired. I tried to explain to her that it was just a thought getting stuck again but I don't know if it got through to her.

Most of the day and night she just sort of seemed down not her normal self. I understand that everyone isn't cheery all the time but I know my own child. This is the same kind of stuff that happened the last time around. We'd have days where she just seemed to be sort of in a fog that we just could not lift. Like she just wasn't all the way there. But then some days she'll be her normal self just worried. Then some of the bad days we'll see little glimmers of her but that's it.

So I'm wondering does this sound like part of the things she's been diagnosed with? I'm wondering if the anxiety and ocd and all the fear and worries just get the best of her and she just gets overwhelmed and depressed and sort of shuts down. Does that happen to anyone or does this sound like something completely different?
Hi Pengworm,

That is a good question. OCD might change your personality and mood, that's something you should ask your daughter's doctor about. I do know that some medications change your personality and mood. I was on a drug called: Seroquel for a while ( I quit taking it in April of last year), and it really changed my personality and mood. I was really irrated and upset all the time, and I was yelling at my family all the time. I was in a really bad mood all the time, it was terrible. It was so bad that my family locked their bedrooms at night, because they were afraid that I was going to kill them.

Then in May of last year after I stopped taking Seroquel, my personality and mood changed. I turned back into a nice person again, and I felt really bad for being mean and rude to my family all the time. It was a great feeling.
Also I remember being really overwhelmed with my OCD, I had a hard time concentrating on my work at my job because all I wanted to do was wash, wash, wash,. Anyway I lost my job ( I didn't get fired, the company that I worked for lost it's contract with the Retirement Home that I worked at).

After I lost my job, I became more obsessed with my OCD obsessions. Also I became really depressed and lost interest in everything. My OCD got really severe, I felt like control of everything was slipping from me because my OCD kept on telling me to wash my hands and body all the time. It was crazy, I hated it. I really felt like OCD was ruining my life, it was really trying to take control of me.

Anyway I am finally doing better with my OCD. I am not getting any therapy again for my OCD right now, but I will soon. I feel like I have found the right Psychiatrist for my mental illness, and I feel like I have finally found the right medication for my OCD. I still hate having OCD, but I am happy that I am finally doing better with it.

I hope that your daughter is getting the right help and the right medication that she needs. I hope that she is doing better now. I just wanted to let you know that your daughter isn't the only one who is going through this.

I wish you and your daughter the best of luck on her OCD. Let us know how she is doing, keep us posted. We care and understand, and I hope this post is helpful to you.

Closed Thread