It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

Doglover5 HB User
Toilet/germs obsessions

I have a new obsession that started today. I have never really considered myself to be all that concerned with cleanliness until recently, and now a lot of "germ" obsessions are making their way into my mind. Today at work something happened and I can't get it out of my head. We have automatic flushing toilets in our restrooms. Well, as you all probably know, automatic flush toilets have a mind of their own and tend to flush whenever they please. You probably know where I'm going with this. Yes, the toilet flushed while I was still on it. Immediately, I freaked out, thinking that I had just contracted every possible germ known to man. I know that most germs cannot live very long on a toilet seat, but that is not really calming my fears. I also know that our bathrooms at work are cleaned daily, but that's not really helping either. Does anyone have any advice? Thoughts? I'm driving myself crazy. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM   #2
(female)

ocdsux108 HB User
Re: Toilet/germs obsessions

Oh where do I begin...most of my ocd is about germs/sicknesses...
I NEVER SIT ON A TOILET SEAT THAT'S NOT IN MY HOUSE!! If worse comes to worse & I HAVE to go (ya know what I mean?) I layer the seat in toilet paper & paper towels. Rationally, I know that is ridiculous because germs don't live on peoples behinds per se, but I don't want to be anywhere near the bowl itself. I totally understand what you mean about the flushing...i always use a paper towel to flush it & then quickly run out of the way so no spray gets me. Then, I wash my hands over & over in hot water till I feel they are clean. I then open the door with a paper towel too. (I realize I'm wasting a lot of paper here but I can't deal with NOT doing this.) Going to the bathroom (even for #1) becomes a very long time consuming task. I'm very sorry I have no words of wisdom but I hope you find your way out of this terrible obsession! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
(male)

lbreeze HB User
Re: Toilet/germs obsessions

I too am fearful of germs from the bathroom since I read an article describing what is called "the aerosol effect". This simply means that when a toilet is flushed with the lid open, a microscopic spray is released into the air and can stay there for up to two hours.

Of course, the article assured that our skin is filled with bacteria anyway and will protect us. It indicated that the danger lies more in breathing in the airborne bacteria or transfering it from a surface in the bathroom to your mouth.

I wouldn't imagine that what happened to you puts you in any kind of danger just from contact on your skin. If it were, half the planet would be dead. But if you're anything like me, you probably just don't like the idea of those germs on you, harmful or not.

I say, be secure in the fact that it's not dangerous and rest assured that the germs have long since been washed away.

Closed Thread