It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #1
(female)

NotGivingIn HB User
I feel like Im losing control....

Im not able to be in my own skin. I have suppressed my intrusive, disturbing thoughts since I was little. I learned to push them away and not give them any validity. I knew the things I thought about would not happen and I knew I would never do anything my thoughts have tried to convince me IM capable of. Now that Im getting older, I dont know whats happening. Im able to suppress the thoughts but now IM feeling an extreme amount of GUILT for all the things I have thought over the years. I know I have no control over what my brain thinks about and I try to tell myself Im a good person and I could never do anything to hurt anyone or anything. But the fact that my mind creates these intrusive horrible thoughts has been eating me inside. I wake up with the shakes and panic that Im never going to be able to let go of the guilt. I have never been on medication for this because I have been against medication. But lately Im feeling like I may have to give in before I ruin my marriage and my life. I feel like the more I keep this facade that IM okay up, the more Im going to lose it and end up hospitalized. I understand meds are there to help calm your thinking and control the intrusive thoughts but my problem is with GUILT. Are the meds going to be able to help me cope with that? lately alcohol has been helping thats for sure but once I come down off my drunkenness Im hit harder with my problems. Please someone tell me the guilt will fade. I know IM not a bad person. I have always wanted nothing but good for people. I feel like the most good-hearted people are tormented by this disease. Almost like your brain telling you "Youre not as perfect as you think you are" Youre bad" I need to feel like Im going to get my life back because right now I feel like IM walking around in a shell of my body and the real me is being pushed deeper and deeper inside.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
(male)

QZZ HB User
Re: I feel like Im losing control....

You are not alone, I know exactly how you feel. My problem is more toward the fear that I will lose myself and become this horrible evil person that takes pleasure in doing these things. Like all the serial killers we read about and see on the news. The ones that are the most horrific and demented. I am so afraid I will become that even thought my entire life I have never thought that or wanted that. I have always helped people and felt bad when someone else was in pain. I always wanted to make people happy. I have always been grossed out by these people and my OCD from a young age fixated on them (i know now it was probably because I was so afraid of being like them, because I thought they were so horrible). Now that I am older I have been obsessing more and more about it. And my emotions are so all over the place I cant convince myself if its my OCD or i am turning into a pyscho.

I will tell you this, meds do help with anxiety which is a huge factor in why you feel the way you do. Also I would not drink alcohol because it has a tendency to make your anxiety worse the next day when it wears off. the worse your anxiety gets the worse your thoughts and feelings about those thoughts get.

take comfort in knowing these thoughts make you feel guilt. If you were a bad person you would feel no guilt at all.

Just know that you are not alone and we all are here for you and are going through the same thing.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
(female)

NotGivingIn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by QZZ View Post
You are not alone, I know exactly how you feel. My problem is more toward the fear that I will lose myself and become this horrible evil person that takes pleasure in doing these things. Like all the serial killers we read about and see on the news. The ones that are the most horrific and demented. I am so afraid I will become that even thought my entire life I have never thought that or wanted that. I have always helped people and felt bad when someone else was in pain. I always wanted to make people happy. I have always been grossed out by these people and my OCD from a young age fixated on them (i know now it was probably because I was so afraid of being like them, because I thought they were so horrible). Now that I am older I have been obsessing more and more about it. And my emotions are so all over the place I cant convince myself if its my OCD or i am turning into a pyscho.

I will tell you this, meds do help with anxiety which is a huge factor in why you feel the way you do. Also I would not drink alcohol because it has a tendency to make your anxiety worse the next day when it wears off. the worse your anxiety gets the worse your thoughts and feelings about those thoughts get.

take comfort in knowing these thoughts make you feel guilt. If you were a bad person you would feel no guilt at all.

Just know that you are not alone and we all are here for you and are going through the same thing.

You just took all the words out of my mouth. You know exactly how it feels. I was just explaining it to my husband because sometimes he doesnt get it. I told him what I used to think when I was younger and how I thought I was going to be this crazy person like the people on the news. He told me Im not a freak and he knows Im a good person. IM a little worried I told him this because IM afraid he'll turn around and realize I may be crazy lol. He wants me to stop asking him that and wants me to stop using the word crazy. I know if I was an awful person I wouldnt be feeling this disgusting amount of guilt over the things I have thought. People who commit acts of violence rarely feel guilty about it. My husband keeps reassuring me thoughts are just that...thoughts. They dont mean anything and unless you act on them, they arent real. We cant give in to them. And lately thats what I have been doing. I have this tremendous fear that I wont be able to forgive myself for my thoughts. And Ill have to live the rest of my life like this. If I get on some type of anxiety meds Im hoping it calms me down to the point where I will be able to think straight and tell myself I have never done anything wrong. Thats what I used to tell myself and it USED TO work. This time it isnt and IM feeling so horrible inside. Please tell me this feeling will subside. I hate it and I feel like sometimes I cant wait for this life to be over. I hate saying that because I would never do anything to hurt myself but its so hard...
Thank you for your reply and making me feel like Im not dealing with this alone...

Last edited by NotGivingIn; 03-01-2008 at 11:25 AM.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 PM   #4
(male)

QZZ HB User

you are most definitely not dealing with this alone. I promise you that. It is very comforting to read people's posts and see that they are dealing with the same thing. Although at times I convince myself I am dealing with something different then everyone in the world and I am truely disturbed.

Sometimes I feel that if God himself came down and said to me, "you are not that person, you are a good person, this is just our OCD and not you" I would still think I was disturbed and different then OCD sufferers. But that is what OCD DOES.

A few months ago I had my first spike, I have always dealt with OCD my entire life (always revolving around serial killers) you can check my other posts where I got in detail about my OCD and fears.

But a few months ago it got to the point where I thought I lost my mind. I was not myself. Everything was different. I felt like I wasnt in reality. Everything seemed fuzzy and the slightest things would scare me. If something dropped my nerves would go crazy. I couldnt get these thoughts out of my head. Everything freaked me out. I was sure I was turing into some sick pyscho or would. My fear at that point was more of a fear of WANTING to do it.

Then I went on meds and xanax when it got bad. Had a fantastic support system with my family, who knew every detail of what I was feeling. And gradually it went away and I was back to old me. I was so happy I was me again. I cant even tell you how great it was. I was still doing my OCD rituals as I always did my entire life, but I could deal with that since I was so used to it. As long as the harming thoughts went away I didnt care.

But recently I saw something that triggered me. It took a few days to work its way back into me full force but it came back. But this time (since I am on the meds I think) I wasnt feeling that intense anxiety.

As I said in my other pose, anxiety will make ANYTHING seem 1000 times worse. The worse the anxiety the worse the fear gets. I would NEVER commit suicide, but I could see how someone could feel that was the only way out when under extreme anxiety.

when I say anxiety I dont mean a panic attack. I mean 24 hour a day,for however long you have it for,anxiety.

Anyway, this time I didnt feel the anxiety as much. It is still there but nowhere even remotely in the same league as it was my first spike.

So this scared me more. At least with the anxiety I knew these things bothered me. So,of course, now my OCD is like well maybe you want to do it now.

So I would start to purposely imagine doing horrible things to try and PROVE to myself that these things would bother me.

like if my fear was being gay, I would imagine being with a man and when it did not turn me on I would know I wasnt gay. End of fear.

But my fear is being a sick demented serial killer at heart. So I imagine these things in hopes of being repulsed and anxiety ridden.

Now, i am not feeling anything. I dont feel good or bad about it. And that makes me scared. Now I know it is probably because deep down I know I wouldnt do this. And I know its my imagination and not real. And I am on meds as well. And a million reasons why this wouldnt bother me just from imagining it. But my OCD says, "yep you want to do it since your not upset" then I am freaked out with the what ifs.

as I said before in another post. If I saw a show about the mafia and they were showing crime scene photos of hits, I wouldnt be that disturbed because I know the motivation was money or power or orders or what have you. But if I saw the same exact photo and it was from a serial killer instead of the mafia the photo would cause me extreme anxiety and fear.

I associate these people as the creepiest most sick people in the world. I have fixated on one specific one my entire life that I wont say because I dont want anyone to spike, but very gruseome things were done and I was very disturbed at a young age to see and learn of these things. It was all over the news at the time.

So, where I am now. I am scared because my emotions seem dimished a bit. I find it hard to get excitment out of things that always give me excitment. I cant look forward to things. I look at loved ones and wonder if I love them or if I did something to them would I care. (a week ago this wouldnt even be an issue because I wouldnt question it and I would do anything to make them happy) but now OCD is making me think otherwise.

I know I would NEVER do anything, but that fear is always there...like how do you know you wont? how do you know you wont enjoy it? how do you know you wont have a pyschotic break and think you are possessed by a serial killer and start acting these thigns out? etc... and as everyone knows that list goes on and on like a snowball.

I think we like to be 100% certain we wont act on anything and that we are good people before we can relax. But the simple fact is our OCD will never let us be 100% certain.

Anxiety and fear will fuel everything.

I am also afraid I am going to start relating to these killers and wanting to learn about them and be like them. or something like that.

But I know people who study them as a hobby and are fascinated by them. How can they not be botered by them. How can a detective walk into a crime scene and see mutilated parts and smell the smell and go home, eat dinner and sleep with their partner and not give this a second thought. I would no doubt be in an institution if I ever saw something like that.

But some people can and it doesnt bother them at all. I wish nothing bothered me as well. I would love to have some peoples phobias instead of this, as I am sure they would switch with me. This is out fear so our minds make us dwell on it. Why they do this I dont know. But we have trained them without realizing it to do this. So we have to figure out how to train them to not do this.

The thoughts will always be there like,

What if serial killers all thought this way and had OCD but gave in one day.
What if I do want to do it
what if i am sick
what if. what if, what if

I saw a show one night where a detective said the first murder is always the hardest, after that they become easier for someone to kill.

that freaked me out because it implied (to me anyway) that killing was hard for a serial killer at one point, but then they liked it.

So Im like Oh my God maybe I would like it. Maybe my needing to know will get so bad that I will kill someone to see if i like it or not to be sure.

Now I know this wouldnt happen EVER... I am not that person. But OCD makes you think it.

I have read on here that some people actual get so into their obsession tehy actually think they did the crime and turn themselves in, when in fact they did nothing wrong.

So your mind can play crazy tricks on you. If you have a fear of something it only takes a second for your mind to run with it. And us with OCD it is harder to stop it from going.

I am so sorry this is so long. I just started rambling... What you need to know is you are not alone and there is help. You will never act on these things. and the guilt you feel WILL go away once you realize you are a good person and you are making yourself feel that way, because you are a good person. if you werent a good person, nony only would you not feel guilty, but you would probably have acted on something at some point.

If you havent already, tell your husband everything. it feels good to talk about it. and definitely get some xanax for your anxiety.

hope this helps and wasnt too painful of a read.

hang in there. we are all here

Closed Thread