It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

marmama HB User
"swirling" ritual with a belt

I'm looking for opinions on whether this sort of ritual that my step-son engages in is OCD or something else altogether:

1. The ritual involves swinging around a belt (in mini swirling tornado movements), making loud sounds (much like bombs and guns going off), minimal speech that accompanies the sounds (usually speaking as a person in some sort of combat/adventure story), and pacing the whole time. A certain kind of belt must always be used (one that is softer so that it "swirls" better).

2. He's been doing it since he was 3 or 4. He is now 11.

3. He spends at least 1 hour a day doing it, but sometimes it appears that the amount of time is getting longer.

4. He feels a compulsion to do it (i.e. when he doesn't do it for awhile, he tells us he needs to do it).

5. He doesn't feel "bad" (like he's doing something wrong) when he does it.

6. We've never remarked on it in a negative way or tried to prevent him from doing it.

7. He does not do it at school or in front of non-family members.

8. He is starting to express reservations about doing activities with other children that would require an amount of time that would prevent him from doing it (i.e., sleepovers, summer camp).

thanks in advance for any help/insight/advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User
Re: "swirling" ritual with a belt

Quote:
8. He is starting to express reservations about doing activities with other children that would require an amount of time that would prevent him from doing it (i.e., sleepovers, summer camp).
This point raises a red flag in my mind. When you first described the activity it sounded normal enough, but then when you said he's still doing it a 11, it gave me pause. But your point #8 seems like a real OCD sign.

So, where do you go from here? Maybe start by talking to your pediatrician if you have a good relationship with one.

The way you've described it sounds like you have a level-headed perspective on this, which bodes well for you in charting the right path through this situation.

Last edited by seriousperson; 03-17-2008 at 10:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #3
(female)

marmama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousperson View Post
So, where do you go from here? Maybe start by talking to your pediatrician if you have a good relationship with one.
I think we have a pediatrician who would check him out and we have a good relationship with him, and I'm fine with setting up the appointment.

I don't know what to say to the stepson though. How is the best way to approach him about going to see the pediatrician about it?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Good question. There are lots of answers, though not all would be fruitful. It's going to depend upon what kind of communication you have going on with him. If he admits he can't go places because he wouldn't be able to perform his ritual, you can respond sympathetically and ask whether he would like to be able to give up his ritual so he could do other things. Then maybe you can work the conversation around to asking the doctor for recommendations on how to deal with this. Or, you may want to try to frame the conversation in terms of asking the doctor's opinion on whether it's okay to swirl, and how much.

Last edited by seriousperson; 03-19-2008 at 09:43 PM.

Closed Thread