It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
(female)

meredith100 HB User
OCD and relationships/dating - what's a real concern and what's just ocd?

Hi all,
I'm 23 and have OCD that has gotten much better but never disappeared. I've dated before but never that seriously. I recently started dating a great guy and at first I was so excited about it, we have great physical and emotional chemistry. But then I started thinking that I never had a crush on him before (we'd been friends for years) and quesitioning whether I "really" liked him. I keep obsessing about his appearance and whether or not I am "really" attracted to him. Now all the great feelings are fading and I'm just feeling anxious. But he's a wonderful exceptionally caring guy and it was so good at first, that my hunch is this is just OCD. But a part of me thinks, no, this is your correct gut instinct telling you that while he's great, you just dont have romantic feelings for him. I can't tell which is which. Please- any advice on what to do? I keep thinking what if I dont REALLY like him? I just maybe like the idea of being in a relationship, and I like the sex, to be honest. Can anyone relate or offer any advice? I keep wanting an answer as to whether I really like him, and while that seems straightforward, I can no longer see clearly.

The following user gives a hug of support to meredith100:
bondibabe (04-08-2011)
Old 08-31-2008, 01:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User
Re: OCD and relationships/dating - what's a real concern and what's just ocd?

Meredith,

I am 31 (married for 4 years). I have been Diagnoses w/ OCD since age 20. I have been through that thought MANY times!! I really believe that this is your OCD. I find that when things are going really well, OCD pops up to ruin it. Anytime you have a "what if though" or that "doubting feeling" all of a sudden...it is OCD and NOT REAL. Think about this...I am copying and pasting what you wrote:

"I recently started dating a great guy and at first I was so excited about it, we have great physical and emotional chemistry. But then I started thinking that I never had a crush on him before (we'd been friends for years) and quesitioning whether I "really" liked him. I keep obsessing about his appearance and whether or not I am "really" attracted to him"

Can you see that this statement above is just OCD??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

sweetmarie14 HB User
Re: OCD and relationships/dating - what's a real concern and what's just ocd?

i am actually fighting over this thought as well. i am not officially diagnosed as an OCD patient but im sure i am going through most of the symptoms of having it. it's just that i haven't been able to visit a therapist yet about this.

i love my boyfriend and i hate it everytime i doubt my feelings for him. i am very sure it's the OCD bothering me, it's not the real thing. i am very happy to be with my boyfriend but i become sad at times, because OCD makes me feel guilty - you know feeling bad about yourself asking as to why you were able to come up with those kind of thoughts. i usually have the obsession of asking "are we really meant to be?" or "do i still love him?". im scared to have these thoughts in my head because i don't wanna be apart from him but why am i having these thoughts? it's like having a small voice in your head telling you that you have to doubt about it or giving you a picture in your head that you're hurting him but deep inside i know, that i would never want to do that! it's affecting my emotions. i am bothered about it. i just wanna be happy right now. i wanna be free from these thoughts. i have wasted too much time just thinking about it all day long. i want to enjoy what we are having right now, but how can i do that if i'm prisoned to this OCD problem.

and about the other symptoms of ocd, i guess i also have them. not really a neat freak ocd person. not the type who washes hands from time to time. but i do have a lots of habits that may really be too irrational.

i count a lot. starting from 1 to 9. i don't feel much for even numbers. i usually think of 9 and 7 as my number.

i can't write anything on my notebook, i'm scared i'll mistakenly write a single letter. if i did, i'll surely tear the paper, until i get it perfectly.

i usually follow a certain pattern printed on the tiles, vinyl and carpets whenever i walk.

i prefer sorting things out in a certain order, pattern accoring to color, sizes and shapes.

and one thing that really bothers me like i said: having unpleasant thoughts towards the people i love the most such as my parents, my siblings and my boyfriend. i didn't mean every unpleasant thing i think about them but i can't really help it.

i'm just so happy right now, knowing i am not the only person who experiences this kind of situation. i can feel that i am somehow normal.

we are actually fighting the same battles and i wish us good luck!

Closed Thread