It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2008, 10:45 PM   #1
(female)

meredith100 HB User
Buspar/SSRI Alternatives

Hi,
I've taken all of the ssris at some point. they help my moderate-severe case of OCD (pure O) but have 2 annoying side effects: fatigue and lowered sex drive. Im in a great relationship and want to enjoy sex more. I also take ativan which relieves my OCD attacks greatly. Has anyone taken Buspar or ay other non-ssri with success for OCD? Im going back to the doctor and I just really want to have some alternatives in mind. A way to not be obsessive, have my normal sex drive, and not be tired all the time. Is it possible...?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: Buspar/SSRI Alternatives

I recently started taking the tricyclic antidepressant Anafranil for my OCD, as I, too, did not have success with any of the SSRIs that I took. It is a miracle medication for me, and it has changed my life in a mere month-and-a-half. It does have more side effects than SSRIs, which is why it's not used as much anymore, but other than mild fatigue, I'm not experiencing any side effects from it. Anafranil was the first OCD medication, and it works partially as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor like the SSRIs, but it also works on other neurotransmitters in the brain. You may also consider trying an atypical anti-psychotic, which are now being tried in OCD patients who have not responded to an SSRI. My psychiatrist prescribed the atypical anti-psychotic Abilify for me this summer, and I took it for six weeks this summer while I was trying to find a medication that worked for me (I took it before I tried Anafranil). It didn't work for me, but it had very limited side effects. Many of the atypical anti-psychotics do have a long list of side effects, but Abilify is a newer medication, and thus, has less side effects. Hope this helped!
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread