It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
(male)

LordKovalev HB User
Unwanted Thoughts...

I am 18, I just finished my first semester of college and actually did pretty well despite being distracted by thoughts that run through my mind. I always get violent thoughts for some reason no matter who I'm interacting with (friends, family, classmates, sometimes pets). It makes me sick to even speak about it but I feel like I really need professional help and I don't know who to turn to. I'd never go through in real life actions with what runs through my mind as I'm a very harmless person. I feel like I can't get close to my loved ones because of these thoughts. These thoughts started when I was in my last week of highschool in June 2008, I was discussing my grades with one of my teachers and these strong violent thoughts entered my mind even though I got along very well with the teacher. I've been haunted since then and I really would like them to stop. Is this a description of OCD or is it something else?

Sorry about the long post but I had to describe exactly what my problem is.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
(female)

MissyS HB User
Re: Unwanted Thoughts...

Your symptoms are typical OCD and I know how it feels to be embarrassed, scared, ashamed. I felt this way for so long before I knew exactly what this was and how common OCD and intrusive thoughts are. And I still feel this way sometimes. My best piece of advice would be to find a psychiatrist in your area. Especially one who treats OCD. I promise, they won't think you are crazy or anything else (I used to worry about this). There are medications and Cognitive behavioral therapy that can help. I am going through a pretty rought time myself, but have been doing well for a while. OCD can't be cured, but it can be controlled and your symptoms can be eased. Stop beating yourself up and get help. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
(male)

livestrong5 HB User

kov,

im 21 years old and i too have OCD. basically what it comes down to for me, is that i know when these thoughts enter my head, while it does suck to have them, you know thats not who you are. everytime i think an awful thought i sit back and just think that whatever is going inside my head, is not who i am. i havent had these thoughts in a while but i just started having them yesterday so i signed online and searched for a message board where people are sharing there stories. when i read stories about other people or at least share my stories with people, i feel like i get a sense of everything is gonna be just fine because other people are having the same thoughts or similar to my own. my problems started when i was 19, but i know that im a loving and caring person and these thoughts will eventually subside. i wish you all the best. also, im sorry if my thoughts were all over the place, im just kind of saying whats on my mind as i go

Old 12-28-2008, 01:47 AM   #4
(male)

Tatters HB User

Hey man don't worry a lot of people get this from what I learned so far, I have these thoughts as well, I actually had a panic attack because I thought I was some sick person, I still can't go through the day without being anxious or on the defense for these thoughts, a constant losing uphill battle with yourself, what sucks the most is when these thoughts touch your family and other people you love or care about, but then I googled my problems (g00gle is god lol) and found out that there is a lot of people that have this problem, a form of OCD. Search "disturbing thoughts" in this forum and you will find many other people going or have gone through the same thing. I also found out that this occurs more in really creative and smart people, so me and you and the rest of us that are going through this are really smart and creative people lol, thats a plus.

PS. If you want a thought comparison that might make you feel better, my thoughts are very sexually perverse, just have to realize that thats not you and that you are a good person.

Last edited by Tatters; 12-28-2008 at 01:48 AM.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
(male)

jcollet2 HB User

I too have these horrible thoughts. It is a daily battle to get rid of these thoughts. I am currently on effexor and it did work for a while,but now has seemed to be less effective. they are just thoughts and they are not a part of reality, but they are still disturbing. I am not a violent person but my thoughts a violent in nature, so I am looking into a some type of anger management to give me tools to releave these thoughts. I don't know if this will work. did anyone else try anything like this? did you have any success?

Closed Thread