It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

cyn123 HB User
counting,counting,counting..anyone else?

Hello~
I am new here and looking for someone who can relate to my problem. I can't stop counting. I don't count things to much, just counting in my head. Everything I do,I count as I do it. I always feel stressed and tense as I count. I can't just do a normal thing like clean the house without counting as I do it. As I drive I count, as I do my hair I count, etc. I don't know how to just relax. I t is controlling my life. I have a heart condition and I am sure the stress I am causing myself doesn't help things. Years ago I did this although not as much, then I went through an aweful divorce and my Dr. put me on paxil to help me cope with the things going on in my life. I realized that my counting stopped! I met someone new, I was happy and content for the first time in awhile. I went off the meds. Now the counting is not only back, but WORSE than ever. I tell myself to stop counting and that I am not going to do that today, and 5 seconds later, I count. I realize it, stop, and next thing I know I am counting again. I feel like I am going insane sometimes, I am afraid to talk to anyone about this and them think I am crazy. The only time I don't count is if I am busy at work but when the business stops, I start counting again. Every minute alone, I tense up and count. Am I ridiculous? Please help if anyone else does this..thank you So much in advance!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
(male)

utahhoping HB User
Re: counting,counting,counting..anyone else?

Hi there, I don't always count, but I tend to have something distracting going on in my head for much of the time. I just learned recently that the rest of the world doesn't always have a song in their head like I do. Don't worry and if the paxil helped, just try it again! Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
(female)

katrice26 HB User

I do not count, but I am a checker. I check everything from doors, appliances, to paperwork. If I do not check, I cannot think of anything else. I drive myself crazy. Recently, my compulsions have gotten better. There is no reason for this. I just go through periods where I experience high levels of anxiety and then I feel just fine. Just try to keep busy.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
(male)

anner HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn123 View Post
Hello~
I am new here and looking for someone who can relate to my problem. I can't stop counting. I don't count things to much, just counting in my head. Everything I do,I count as I do it. I always feel stressed and tense as I count. I can't just do a normal thing like clean the house without counting as I do it. As I drive I count, as I do my hair I count, etc. I don't know how to just relax. I t is controlling my life. I have a heart condition and I am sure the stress I am causing myself doesn't help things. Years ago I did this although not as much, then I went through an aweful divorce and my Dr. put me on paxil to help me cope with the things going on in my life. I realized that my counting stopped! I met someone new, I was happy and content for the first time in awhile. I went off the meds. Now the counting is not only back, but WORSE than ever. I tell myself to stop counting and that I am not going to do that today, and 5 seconds later, I count. I realize it, stop, and next thing I know I am counting again. I feel like I am going insane sometimes, I am afraid to talk to anyone about this and them think I am crazy. The only time I don't count is if I am busy at work but when the business stops, I start counting again. Every minute alone, I tense up and count. Am I ridiculous? Please help if anyone else does this..thank you So much in advance!
You are not going insane and you are not going to. OCD "Hosts" are not crazy at all, even if we feel that we are going that way at times. I am now 49 years old and have had compulsions since I was 8 or 9 years old. Unfortunately for me, in those days real help wasn't really available. Kids like me were called "hyper", something I guess we were just supposed to grow out of, without any constructive help or understanding. But now there are things that can be done. Whatever route you choose, prescriptions, life style change, phsycotherapy, whatever it is, just start searching. The journey itself is one of the best treatments. When you start to search, you find out that you are not alone, that you are not a "freak", that many people out there are aware that they are experiencing the same types of symptoms, and that sadly , many more won't even acknowledge their condition. That means that you are a very fortunate person. You've allready stepped through the first door and that is the hardest one. Just within the last year I finally decided to get some real help, instead of just medication. I know this will take awhile, but I am seeing positive results. Kind of like crawling out of a hole one inch at a time. I can relate to your comments about counting everything. Telephone poles, lines in the road, the number of letters in words, the number of words in sentences, the list is endless. But you know what?........SO WHAT!! It won't kill me. As soon as you realize that this habit won't kill you, the closer you are too saying good-bye to it forever. I have gone in and out of this repetitive behavior for 40 years, and I now believe that I can kick it. Stay busy, get lots of exercise, and most importantly, do not be afraid to speak openly to others....family, friends....etc. about what you are going through, without any shame, without any embarrasment...... You'll be okay. Be patient and enjoy life, especially the simple things. Hope to hear about your progress soon

Closed Thread