It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
(female)

MeggieMeg16 HB User
Exclamation Teen with OCD

Hello. I am new to Health Boards. My name is Meagan and I am 16 years old. I love helping people and like to spend time with my family. I am basically what you call an all around average girl. However, last year I had a bit of a mental breakdown.

One night it just suddenly came on that I started thinking morbid thoughts about my own Mother. I love my Mom so much that this startled me and scared me very badly. I had thoughts of killing her by either stabbing, poisoning, etc. All of these thoughts seem to be directed at her and for the past couple of months that it started last year, I was in a very down mood. I always just felt hopeless and scared, thinking that I was some crazy, terrible person for thinking these things and that I would just suddenly break lose and really hurt my Mom or someone else. I do however talk to my Mom all about these things, every little thought I have ever had she knows about, even the ones that were about me hurting her. She is a wonderful Mom though and accepts them. She says she knows I am a good girl though and wouldn't do those things.

This soon erupted into other thoughts like hurting my dog(I love animals with all my heart), started thinking of being a cannibal, getting angry/agitated, becoming a murderer, etc. It was just these very crazy, off the wall thoughts but they did scare me badly.

I went to a psychologist for a while but stopped because I was feeling better, but I still go to my psychiatrist. She really does help me a lot and she has mentioned that I do have an obsession with my thoughts, considering that I do have OCD and an anxiety problem. I now take 50 mg of Zoloft to help with my anxiety problems and obsession.

I have been feeling much better than what I did last year but I still have those times where I am feeling down or sad, and that is when the thoughts start again about my Mother. I have heard that OCD makes you think bad thoughts about the ones you love the most to just make it more painful for you. Does anyone know why that is?

Also, sorry for the long rant but do you believe that I have OCD? Is it normal for a teenager to be sad or have a down moods like I do or is just depression? Also, does having these thoughts make me a bad person? Everyone always tells me no, but I always have a hard time telling myself that I am not the thoughts I have.

Any advice would be great about how to keep bad thoughts out of head, to keep happy, etc.

Thank you very much for reading all of this! Please answer if you can. Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
(female)

jdcmom HB User
Re: Teen with OCD

Yes, it does sound like OCD. The fact that you have anxiety about these thoughts means that you wouldn't do the actions. The fact that they upset you means that you are not a bad person. They upset you because you are a good person. You just have intrusive thoughts. Everyone has them. Even non-OCD people. Non-OCD people will think 'why'd I think that?' and then brush it off and move along. OCD people try to figure out why they have that thought and how could they have that thought and etc. It's pure OCD. You have to tell yourself that. I think sharing with your mom is wonderful. I share things with my hubby and he's very supportive. He gives me a hug when I'm OCDing (as I call it).

Old 03-10-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
(male)

cuts84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMeg16 View Post
Hello. I am new to Health Boards. My name is Meagan and I am 16 years old. I love helping people and like to spend time with my family. I am basically what you call an all around average girl. However, last year I had a bit of a mental breakdown.

One night it just suddenly came on that I started thinking morbid thoughts about my own Mother. I love my Mom so much that this startled me and scared me very badly. I had thoughts of killing her by either stabbing, poisoning, etc. All of these thoughts seem to be directed at her and for the past couple of months that it started last year, I was in a very down mood. I always just felt hopeless and scared, thinking that I was some crazy, terrible person for thinking these things and that I would just suddenly break lose and really hurt my Mom or someone else. I do however talk to my Mom all about these things, every little thought I have ever had she knows about, even the ones that were about me hurting her. She is a wonderful Mom though and accepts them. She says she knows I am a good girl though and wouldn't do those things.

This soon erupted into other thoughts like hurting my dog(I love animals with all my heart), started thinking of being a cannibal, getting angry/agitated, becoming a murderer, etc. It was just these very crazy, off the wall thoughts but they did scare me badly.

I went to a psychologist for a while but stopped because I was feeling better, but I still go to my psychiatrist. She really does help me a lot and she has mentioned that I do have an obsession with my thoughts, considering that I do have OCD and an anxiety problem. I now take 50 mg of Zoloft to help with my anxiety problems and obsession.

I have been feeling much better than what I did last year but I still have those times where I am feeling down or sad, and that is when the thoughts start again about my Mother. I have heard that OCD makes you think bad thoughts about the ones you love the most to just make it more painful for you. Does anyone know why that is?

Also, sorry for the long rant but do you believe that I have OCD? Is it normal for a teenager to be sad or have a down moods like I do or is just depression? Also, does having these thoughts make me a bad person? Everyone always tells me no, but I always have a hard time telling myself that I am not the thoughts I have.

Any advice would be great about how to keep bad thoughts out of head, to keep happy, etc.

Thank you very much for reading all of this! Please answer if you can. Take care!
Yeah, this is obviously OCD. People with OCD, myself included, tend to vastly overemphasize the importance of our thoughts. Whereas any non-OCD sufferer may have the same type of thoughts from time-to-time, we get stuck on these mental images and dwell on their significance. The key is to recognize these unwanted obsessions as what they are (OCD) and not allow them to get the best of us. Label these thoughts as OCD and move on to more constructive activities (i.e. keep yourself busy). After doing this for a while, you will learn to revalue these obsessions, and they will no longer have the same effect on you.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
(female)

MeggieMeg16 HB User

Thank you very much for you help! If you ever need someone to talk with about your OCD, please know you can message me! Thank you again and best of luck to you!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
(female)

MeggieMeg16 HB User

Thank you very much for your wonderful reply! It is always comforting having someone else being able to relate to me and know how I feel. So thank you for your advice and encouragement! If you ever need someone to talk with about anything, please know you can message me! Take care!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
(male)

cuts84 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMeg16 View Post
Thank you very much for your wonderful reply! It is always comforting having someone else being able to relate to me and know how I feel. So thank you for your advice and encouragement! If you ever need someone to talk with about anything, please know you can message me! Take care!
No problem at all. Feel free to send me a message as well if you ever need someone to talk to. It always seems to help me when I speak with other people who have OCD. Take care.

Closed Thread