It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
(male)

anxietyfreak HB User
Relationship OCD ruining my life

Hi Everyone

fighting the tears writing this, i live my life in the same continuous circle
i`m a 35 year old male, almost 36..... and yes i`m still at home here in the UK! financially cant afford my own place at the moment, but working on it

i have ended a relationship back in August of last year with the most beautiful person ever, she is an amazing person, smart, caring, very loving, affection that blew my mind, she loves me and has only ever shown me love, but im unable to feel the same way when i dont know why i cant..
the easiest option was to end it like a coward

when i`m with her, i feel like im living a lie, like im faking it, i get anxious, very very upset and emotional, hot sweats, shear and utter fear etc....
i tell her i love her, but my mind keeps telling me i dont, i have acted like this all my life with ALL my partners...
even started drinking before i see my partner to make me less anxious because of my Guilt
its like i cant wait for them to leave so i can be on my own again, i have done this with all the women in my life and as of now, i have to stop this, in August last year she walked out of my back door and we were both crying our eyes out when i looked at her little face walking away from me, i had to tell her i dont love her, she said she dont believe me after all i have said and all we have done together, im so messed up and confused, i really wanted her to be "the one" as she has supported me through all my depression, my intrusive thoughts, etc etc
she is also the only person to have made me laugh, feel relaxed enough to even talk to her about all my problems, yet still on the odd occasion, i get all this BAD STUFF going on in my mind that im actually exhausted and worn out with my feelings

the usual scenario is normally me feeling lonely, emotional and wanting to have a cuddle and have someone to talk to, basically so i`m not on my own, i dont have many friends, sad arent i?
my job is the opposite to this, im a professional musician and do huge shows in front of thousands of people, so this is all bizarre in my personal life
i meet someone really special, though never met anyone like my EX in all these years, it feels amazing at the start, then as we get closer and closer, i feel trapped and then the thoughts come rolling in, the hot sweats, the anixety, panic attacks, my mind telling me SHE is not actually the one, so much so that i cant believe how it makes me feel, it really makes me a bag of nerves, its like a demon eating away at me

if anyone has these feelings, you will know how upset it makes you feel...
i believe im just not capable of loving anyone, infact i never have.... all my relationships have ended because i end them, one of the main reasons is because i cannot live with the sheer and utter guilt and terror of the feelings im having and whether they are true or false, or what!

i really cant take anymore of living like this, i want to be happy, i want to feel excited that im gonna see someone, be happy when im with them, go on holiday, laugh and cry with them, tell them i love them and feel that closeness, i felt some of these things some of the time with my partner i finished with today, but the guilt and anxiety won, i had to end it, cant go on living and feeling this way...
everyone around me keeps telling me "i am getting all these feelings as she obviously isnt the one for me"

i have been to to the doctors and was diagnosed with depression, have tried all forms of medication, nothing helps, i either sweat buckets or i feel worse normally, currently on 5htp and st johns wort, but do you know what? i dont want to HAVE to take tablets to live a normal life, i sometimes look back and think WHY ME?
been told that i must have commitment issues, yet i dont have one night stands, mainly because i just cant, need to know someone first, has to feel right or no point

all i know is that i want to feel better and not have these life ruining thoughts as above

when Tracey left in August, she said i want you to be happy, im sorry i made you so miserable, what do i say to that? i didnt answer, i just broke down as she walked off, what a complete *** i am, i have destroyed her, yet im broken hearted and relived at the same time....
i finished with her twice now!! thats not fair on her

i am going to see a relationship counsellor first week of February, i will pay anything if i can get help, my life can`t go on like this
so much so, i even thought about ending it all, whats the point anymore?
do i be miserable the rest of my life? fearful of meeting anyone

do any of you suffer with these feelings? and please dont tell me there is always someone for someone, my own family try and understand, but they all loved Tracey too bits and think she is made for me, i dont know whether im evil, dont know how to even love, or maybe i should realise that life is meant to be lonely and single for some people

after writing all this, i found out 3 days ago that she has become friends with my singer in my band!
for the last 3 days i cannot stop crying, i want her back but my minds telling me NO you dont, i just wanna hold her and kiss her and make it all better, dont want to let her down again which is adding more pressure on me
the thought of them 2 together is making me not sleep and having hot sweats, she has moved on now i think, ROCD has destroyed my only chance of a girl that should have been the one for me...
i have to get her back and prove we can fight this together, but the thought of feeling as above again is terrifying me, i dont want these thoughts, or is it because she is not for me! im so confused!!!
we are still talking but im so emotional i cant even speak....
instead of bottling up all these ROCD thoughts, if i would have told her when i was having them, we could have worked on our relationship, now i feel EMPTY and have already contemplated suicide because im too late and she may fall in love with this new guy...

Wayne x

Last edited by anxietyfreak; 01-21-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #2
(female)

HeidiM HB User
Re: Relationship OCD ruining my life

How long have you had ROCD and depression? You need to tell yourself that this is just an illness and it does get better, it looks like your just within some vicious circle and you're feeding into it instead of trying to "break the spell" if you will.
You need to tell yourself that these are only thoughts, I do understand the anxiety and the intrusive thoughts and how annoying it all is and how you feel like you will never feel "normal" again, but you have to realize that this is life, you have an illness that you need to work through and everything is just fine...I don't know. I wish I could tell you more, I feel bad that you are going through this and you wish that you can have this girl of your dreams back in your life...
Do you guys still communicate at all? Does she try to get a hold of you? Does she understand what's going on?
You're not evil, and you know how to love, you're just afraid to love.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:19 AM   #3
(male)

anxietyfreak HB User

i have had ROCD since before i can remember, but when i try and explain to people or family, they just say im scared of commitment or that i have been spoilt and are a Mummys boy for still being 36 years old and at home!

i am still in contact with my EX, but i havent text her since Wednesday evening where her texts were not as they used to be, fairly cold infact

my sister keeps telling me i HAVE to move on like she has, she has been going to see my singer from my band that i play in, how messed up is that!
i have to now see them together at ALL my gigs, i feel sick to the stomache....
i am petrified of trying again with her IF my hot sweats, anxietys and all that stuff come back! what if it was the fact that we MAYBE shouldnt have been together and my mind was true?
im so confused at the moment, dont know how to feel or what to do
im getting CBT therapy in February. have become SCARED of all women, even going for a drink with anyone, because all i can see is my exes face staring at me and the closeness we shared when i was relaxed around her

in all of my life, i have NEVER been excited and had that wanting feeling of knowing im gonna see any girl i have been with, and the thing is i want to feel these feelings and be normal like everyone else around me, i went to my friends wedding recently and my EX was there, i had too much to drink and started getting emotional again, but she said stop doing this to me Wayne!

i cant let go, maybe i should, maybe i shouldnt

from what i can tell, i hurt her very badly twice and now with her getting close with my singer as hes had problems with ex girlfriends, they are sharing experiences and becoming closer until BANG!!
apparently he has been there for her when she says i should have fought for her!
she called him her "rock" when she was down
what i dont want to become is what her ex was years ago, when we were together she would constantly get texts from her ex partner and that would anger me, because the fact is she can never let go either!
i dont want to become her ex and feel pitied for and get texts asking me if im ok when i know shes with my singer, if it progresses that way, i understand at the moment they are simply good friends, but she says she is fond of him and that hes a lovely guy, feeling sick even thinking that right now!!
all i can see in my mind is them too happy and having sex together like we used to do, a passion that i cant explain in that department... i will never foget, the thought of EVER being with anyone and kissing them, laughing with them, making love to them makes my skin crawl

Last edited by anxietyfreak; 01-22-2010 at 05:23 AM.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
(female)

HeidiM HB User

Do you have any plans of getting her back at all or does that just start the anxiety all over again? What meds are you on again?
Have you ever though of going for couples counselling when you two were together?
CBT will probably help you alot with progressing and getting away from this disease as well as coping. Thankfully you don't have to wait too long before you go in and start your therapy.
Have you told her all this though??

Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
(male)

anxietyfreak HB User

the anxiety starts again when i think about getting back with her, i cant stop crying and thinking about her with him!
i have seen her at a few gigs since we broke up, and we have remained friends, when all i wanted to do was grab her, kiss her and say im sorry, which i know she wont believe
i just wanna hold her right now but these feelings wont go away when there is no need for them to be there, its pure guilt when i dont want to have it, i wanted her to be THE ONE, but the panik attacks, sweats, constant swallowing lumps in my throat and guilt will still be there, and i know if i ever did meet anyone else, they would start all over again, i hate feeling like this, my family are all against me and telling me to grow up, be a man and move on!!!!
im also jealous of anyone that can be happy when i cant be happy with anyone

i am on no meds!
was on ant depressants, but just made me worse and even more emotional
was on fluoxetine and then citalopram
had massive weight gain and could eat all day
currently on st johns wort which is doing NOTHING

dont know if the feelings are ROCD or just because she wasnt right for me, im so confused!!!

Last edited by anxietyfreak; 01-22-2010 at 01:47 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to anxietyfreak:
discosiren (07-17-2011)
Old 01-23-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
(female)

HeidiM HB User

Maybe it's not ROCD per se ( but I'm not a doctor ) but rather you have severe anxiety issues.
I would most definitely make an appointment with your doctor and share these feelings with him and see if he can prescribe you a different anti-depressant or an anti-anxiety medication. ( I am currently on Ativan which works wonderfully for me )
It seems like you have so many different racing thoughts that you create a panic for yourself whether you want to be with her or not or can or cannot imagine her being with someone else.
If you could go and see a doctor asap that should be your first step and he can better diagnose your problem but from what I can see here you have severe anxiety ( check out the anxiety boards and see if someone is dealing with something similiar ) and go from there. Because right now you're just stuck in between and don't know which move to make.
I wish you all the best and do hope this advice helps and that you can get better and finally be with the girl of your dreams and be at peace with your thoughts and battle through this anxiety.

Last edited by HeidiM; 01-23-2010 at 05:04 AM.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
(male)

anxietyfreak HB User

i got this reply today from Anxiety UK

The Highlighted Section is already freaking me out, what does he mean?
why does everyone say then "she isnt the one for me"
i loved the girl deep in my heart and i miss her so much
and thinking about all my past relationships, im incapable of the good feelings and feelings of wanting to be with someone or love someone, i just want it to go away!

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2010 4:17 PM

Hi Wayne

Well, firstly, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about all of the problems you've been having. However, please don't think you're alone in the way you are feeling; and I certainly think that the way you have been feeling is not as uncommon as you might think. And I don't think you're sad either. It just sounds like you have a lot going on in your head right now, and that it's been this way for years.

From what you are saying it seems like you think and think and think and think about things, almost to the point where you tie yourself in knots, when it comes to relationships and intimacy.

Simply because you don't engage in one night stands does not mean that you aren't afraid to some degree of commitment or maybe more accurately, committing yourself to one person. I think that when anybody enters into a relationship, no matter who they are, they are never really sure if the person they are with is "the one" or not; it is more a case of giving it time and getting closer and getting to know each other better, and in time you should be able to establish whether or not this person is right for you to spend the rest of your life with. You seem to worry so much about whether or not the person in question is "the one" for you that you don't give things the time and space they need to develop in order to see if they are the right person or not. And whilst you certainly wouldn't be the first person in the world to do that, it kind of hints that you aren't feeling the way you are because the person you are with is not "the one". I think if a person is really really not right for you; you find that out pretty quickly. And if they are, then that realization comes in time, and no amount of thinking and over thinking about it can make that happen any sooner. And alcohol, as much as it may help in the short term, is not really a solution. And no matter what our jobs are, whether you are a pilot or a gardener or a taxi driver or a professional musician, we all have another side to us that does need someone to talk to, that does need a cuddle and that is more vulnerable.

In terms of what you should do now, it doesn't sound like medicine, if you've tried a lot of different ones, is really the answer (though bear in mind most anti depressants take up to six weeks to work effectively). I'd be more inclined to advise you to start to look at what exactly is leading you to dwell on the "bad feelings" instead of the good ones when it comes to relationships. You seem to dwell on whether the person in question is "the one", then become anxious because you are starting to doubt things, then become very anxious because you're feeling very anxious, then get even more upset because a caring, smart, attractive girl who loves you is causing nothing but doubt and anxiety (and this is where the guilt probably comes from by the way), and before you know it you don't know what you're really thinking or feeling, except that it's bad. If you could address the doubt that comes initially (when you begin to question whether the relationship is right or if she is "the one") then it should go some way to addressing the rest of the bad feelings that seem to result from it. Your relationship counselor is certainly a good start.

< edited >

I can empathize with your panic about hearing that your ex is now friendly with your singer. However, simply because this has happened does not mean that she will fall in love with him. Would it be possible for you to meet up with her and tell her how you feel, once and for all, explain that you are getting help with the issues that may have held you back before? At the very worst, she will say she isn't interested, which would feel bad but ultimately would be no worse than the way you feel right now. If you start off with nothing, maybe the worst that can happen in the end is that you end up with what you started with.

Good luck with it and best wishes mate

Chris

Last edited by hb-mod; 01-26-2010 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Please do not post disallowed Internet websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
(male)

mac1 HB User

my name is mark . i understand you , my partner of 7 years has been doing the same thing to me in fact she doing it now i cant remember how many times it has happened and it almost kills me every time i want her back at all costs .she has cut me off when i go back i have beg her every time and i feel if i dont she will never act on her feelings i am desperate to get her back but she is not contacting me and i feel i have done all the chasing

Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
(male)

anxietyfreak HB User

have lost 2 stone by changing my lifestyle, no junk food and no alcohol etc
go to Gym 5 days a week for 90 minutes at a time
not sleeping that well, i`m constantly anxious thinking about my EX with my singer in my band
wake up crying and sweating sometimes
now i have to see them at my gigs that i do, which i feel has taken the fun out of the only thing i used to enjoy
maybe i could get some sort of mood stabiliser drug or something? something to make me less anxious and think positive
dont want ANY of those SSRI drugs with weight gain

yesterday i text my EX and said i cant do this anymore, the texts between us have to stop
cant have been as close as we were and lovers and remain friends on text, its torturing me
she has moved on and i lost her because of my relationship anxiety, now im even panicking about meeting other women
which i dont want to do and repeat the whole thing
woke up this morning thinking i have made a mistake telling her thats it, infact i`m just confused all the time
as you can read from my previous posts, she has some issues which i suppose i cant deal with
trouble is i miss her so much and just wish i could turn the clock back
WHY OH WHY am i like this with every girl i meet, its not normal, i`m a 36 year old man for christs sake
i should be in a house with a lovely partner, an ok job and my bands gigs at the weekend
instead im depressed, suicidal, still at home with my mother! how sad is that?

i have had about as much as i can take today

EVERYONE around me saying the same thing "they obviously werent the person for you"
i have done this ALL my life, im sick of being lonely and i WANT to WANT someone!!
whats wrong with me? why cant i love or hold someone in my arms without feeling a fake?
why are these thoughts in my head ruining my life? am i some sort of nutter???

Old 02-11-2010, 09:32 PM   #10
(female)

sweetgirl9 HB User

Wayne, Don't give up! I am living with OCD every single day and I still have hope. I can relate to you because I fear that my hubby might leave me someday. I have recently come across natural therapies that have given me some hope. I have never taken any med but I know how much I have suffered in the past years. I recently had a panic attack because of OCD and thats when I came to know about OCD, otherwise I used to think that I was mad.

Please don't give up, be optimistic and trust me you will get her back one day.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
(male)

vanitas000 HB User

Wayne,
Though I am not faced with the same situation as you, I have found myself dealing with the same brand of self-doubt, questioning, second guessing, and disbelief as you have described. I am currently in a relationship with a woman who very closely fits your description, and though there are several hours between us, the relationship is great and we love one another. This is my first encounter with (what I believe to be) Obsessive Thoughts, and it torments me to extents I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy. We have no problem with telling one another "I love you", but my mind runs circles trying to convince myself otherwise. She is wonderful and, though long distance relationships are far from easy, I want to pursue this. The confusion you've described is nearly exactly what I feel: guilt, grief, etc. I feel unappreciative, rotten and a bit disgusted with myself. I feel like I'm under extreme pressure to make some kind of decision which hasn't even been posed! I also find myself questioning whether or not she is "the one", and to be honest I don't think there is a specific "one" for anyone else, but these terrible intrusions convince me otherwise, as if I'm making some horrible decision by justifying my relationship to myself. To some degree, I sympathize with the pain you're feeling. It can become unbearable at times, mainly because you look back and question if you really felt the feelings you had in the past, which you of course did! It's just that this goddamned OCD thrives on negativity and self doubt. Even as I write this, I sit here with my stomach in knots questioning whether or not I should continue with my relationship. I want to, of course, but my mind is commanding me to tuck tail and run away! Unfortunately, in your case, I'm concluding that your ex has truly decided to move on, as it seems she has no interest in reconciling with you. This is tragic, but at the same time, doesn't your longing and grief PROVE to you that you DID actually want her?? This thing, this OCD played its part in taking you away from your relationship, and though the disorder succeeded, you can see by example that you DID want her. I would heed this example, and when the next potentially great girl comes along, go for it, by all means. I know that this may seem contradictory to how you and I BOTH feel, but I believe this is the only way to beat this demon. It's never too late to reclaim yourself, and remember that OCD will never completely vanish, but it is manageable if you wish it to be!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
(male)

thelittleone HB User

Hello everyone,

I have been reading posts on this forum for a long time now, about relationship OCD. If anyone has the patience and kindness to read this and help me, I cannot express in words how much I would appreciate that.

I have had relationship OCD for a while. I am only 20, and have only had 2 serious girlfriends before now, but with both of them, I have never been sure they liked me, and then once I was sure, I immediately doubted how much I liked them. However, it was never bad enough that it posed a serious problem. In November of last year, I got in a relationship with the most amazing girl, really kind and caring, and definitely someone I really felt like I loved, compared to other girls I'd been with before.

I started obsessing if I could be in a relationship straight from the start, as my last one didn't end well and I always thought I just had general anxiety disorder. I broke up with this girl after a week, and I instantly felt better, only to start feeling really sad about it a week later, and 2 weeks after that, we got back together. I started obsessing again though, as I expected, and for the next few months I obsessed about whether she really liked me cos she's quite quiet, and whether she'd meet someone else. Now, that it has become clear she really does like me, I have started obsessing how much I really like her, I feel guilty when I say I love her, I sometimes think I don't enjoy talking to her on Skype, yet I often smile when we do. I just want to love her and not have all these doubts. Does this sound like relationship OCD to you guys?

As bad as this has made me feel the last 4 months or so, and as real as my doubts seen and as much as I sometimes think I should break up with her, there is still a faint hope that this is just OCD, that I can love her again, because if you instinctively asked me if I wanted to break up with her, Id say no. But I'm at my wits end. I feel dreadful. Totally dreadful. But I'm not gonna give up.

Thanks

Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #13
(female)

paranoi HB User

Sorry if this is long.. but i REALLY need your help..

It seems like its been awhile since people have been on these but if anyone comes across this please help me! my story starts out i was going out with this guy (who is now my ex) and i don't think i ever loved him but i can't remember.. i broke up with him because he didn't care

Last edited by paranoi; 03-23-2010 at 04:25 AM.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
(female)

ucs412 HB User

I think you are just more confused right now. Just don't beat yourself up so much about having thoughts about your ex...that is normal. That doesn't mean you want to get back with him. Just take you time w/your new boyfriend...take things slow. Be patient with yourself too. It probaly is just ocd, but you should consider yourself lucky....mine is not as easy as yours....believe me. I think you are just afraid of your thoughts, but that by all means doesn't mean you want your ex back.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:07 AM   #15
(female)

imcoming HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelittleone View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been reading posts on this forum for a long time now, about relationship OCD. If anyone has the patience and kindness to read this and help me, I cannot express in words how much I would appreciate that.

I have had relationship OCD for a while. I am only 20, and have only had 2 serious girlfriends before now, but with both of them, I have never been sure they liked me, and then once I was sure, I immediately doubted how much I liked them. However, it was never bad enough that it posed a serious problem. In November of last year, I got in a relationship with the most amazing girl, really kind and caring, and definitely someone I really felt like I loved, compared to other girls I'd been with before.

I started obsessing if I could be in a relationship straight from the start, as my last one didn't end well and I always thought I just had general anxiety disorder. I broke up with this girl after a week, and I instantly felt better, only to start feeling really sad about it a week later, and 2 weeks after that, we got back together. I started obsessing again though, as I expected, and for the next few months I obsessed about whether she really liked me cos she's quite quiet, and whether she'd meet someone else. Now, that it has become clear she really does like me, I have started obsessing how much I really like her, I feel guilty when I say I love her, I sometimes think I don't enjoy talking to her on Skype, yet I often smile when we do. I just want to love her and not have all these doubts. Does this sound like relationship OCD to you guys?

As bad as this has made me feel the last 4 months or so, and as real as my doubts seen and as much as I sometimes think I should break up with her, there is still a faint hope that this is just OCD, that I can love her again, because if you instinctively asked me if I wanted to break up with her, Id say no. But I'm at my wits end. I feel dreadful. Totally dreadful. But I'm not gonna give up.

Thanks
Have these thoughts passed ..? I too am in this situation ;-(

Closed Thread