It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
(male)

randomid132 HB User
Intrusive thoughts - Do you act upon them? Please read post for ex.

For the past 3 years I have been having intrusive thoughts.

Before you read further please know this -- I have not been diagnosed with OCD as i have not seen a psychiatrist about it. My parents are paranoid that the drugs I will be prescribed may mess my head. I have just turned 18 and I won't be able to see a psychiatrist until I start living on my own.

Here is whats bothering me --

I have intrusive thoughts about 15 times in a day. Generally these happen in following situtations:
1.) Whenever I am watching some movie or TV show, I'll start having thoughts of about what i would have done if i was in that characters position. I'll start walking from one point to another point in my house imagining myself in that position. Sometimes I even say things I would have said if it was me. This goes on for about maximum 10 minutes, generally for about 5 minutes before i realize i am doing it and i'll calm myself and sit down where i was sitting earlier. This can happen again within 20 minutes again without me even realizing it. This is the most common cause for my thoughts.

This generally happens when i am alone and there is no one else in the room. This also happens when I see something sensational on news.

2.) When i have been in a fight with someone I'll replay the incident in my head for atleast a couple of days after it and think about what I could have done. This is also accompanied with walking about in my house and saying things while walking. These thoughts generally make me angry for few minutes. Everytime after few minutes of doing this I realize what i am doing and try to calm myself down and go back to whatever i am doing.

3.) When I read something sensational in the newspaper or on the internet again I'll start imagining myself in the person's position and keep thinking about it. I sometimes get angry or sad or even cry and then suddenly realize what i am doing and calm myself down.

All of my intrusive thoughts are generally accompanied by me walking from on room to another thinking about it. I say things, I also sometimes take action i.e use my hands like i was in that situation -- these two symptoms happen rarely though. And all these things happen mostly when i am alone in the room. I am alone most of the time as both of parents are working and I am not very social. I generally spend most of my time at home.

This is what i wanna know -- Do you walk or do things with your hands or say thing when you intrusive thoughts? Or do you just keep sitting wherever you are?

I know i need to see a psychiatrist but my current situation isn't allowing me. I requested my parents to take me to a psychiatrist, they say its normal to have these thoughts everyone has them.

Is this really a symptom of OCD or could be something else?

I have trouble concentrating too.

Sorry for my english, I am not very fluent in it.

Last edited by randomid132; 01-23-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #2
(female)

summerem HB User
Re: Intrusive thoughts - Do you act upon them? Please read post for ex.

I have intrusive thoughts too, but a completely different kind than yours. I was freaking out that I had schizophrenia, so I researched it a bit and joined this site to read what other people were saying. A lot of what you have seems to fit schizophrenia, like constantly replaying conversations and even repeating them out loud, not being able to concentrate, not being very social, suddenly getting angry... I could also be completely wrong of course. One thing that you have that is very unschizophrenic is you seem to empathize completely with everything, while schizophrenia patients very often have a hard time connecting with and understanding others. If I were you I would find some way to consult with a psychologist, just to get a professional opinion. If you don't, it sounds like your symptoms could really interfere with your life. If your parents are always out, why don't you save up some money, make an appointment with a psychologist, and take a taxi to see one? I think it could really help. Good luck!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
(female)

jbmiller7 HB User

You should not tell people they have schizophrenia... You dont know what your talking about...

Old 02-07-2010, 02:50 AM   #4
(male)

tws1 HB User

i have similar re-occurring thoughts and i often find myself pacing from room to room although my thoughts are from the past and also thoughts that i have just created , i suffer from other symptons as well but i have been diagnosed with schizophenia. if this is really worrying you, your local doctor might be a good place to start. he/she will be able to tell you what is normal or send you to a psychiatrist

Old 02-07-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
(male)

MT483 HB User

summerem,

Go local; you're going express. Like man, everybody has intrusive thoughts. I mean - like me too. I even talk to myself imagining things I might have said or should have said to people who offended me. Many times my thoughts are erotic. They run the entire gamut, but schizophrenia? No way. I have a bit of advice to offer. Visit a psychiatric hospital and see for yourself how a schizoid patient looks and behaves. They are virtually living in a world of their own. Everything you wrote about can easily describe my own behavior. Everyone reflects on what they should have done or said, or what they would like to do in the future. One term refers to it as "ruminating".

You don't mention hallucinations, or delusions. You write in a clear and direct style that's easy to understand. Forget the psychotic stuff, and live your life. Think about joining a health club and working out till you're exhausted. You'll look better, sleep better, and begin to realize how lucky you are to be both physically and psychologically healthy. Most importantly, be cool. Mike

PS: Boxers call it shadow boxing, actors call it warming up, average Joes are simply animating their thoughts. Don't worry about doing these things. I still believe you are well within normal behavior. Do the gym thing. Especially if they have have a heavy punching bag. A 15 minute workout on it will get rid of a lot of the stuff that's bothering you.

Last edited by MT483; 02-07-2010 at 05:35 AM.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
(male)

onxanax HB User

Mike, that was a great response. But if he feels a bit off, it wouldn't hurt to see a doctor about it.
Joining a gym is a great idea too, Mike.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
(male)

MT483 HB User

onxanax, Thank you for your commentary. Of course you are right. A visit to a psychiatrist or a psychologist is a good idea, but those visits go for well over $100 an hour. The individual appears to be a bit hyperactive, but who isn't at some time or another? This is one crazy screwed up world, and just reading one's morning newspaper can be very upsetting. If an individual begins to hallucinate or become delusional then yes a visit to a doctor is most advisable. Watchful waiting by the subject's family and friends is the key to this person's psychological welfare. Mike

Last edited by MT483; 02-10-2010 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Grammar

Old 02-11-2010, 01:45 AM   #8
(male)

tws1 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Intrusive thoughts - Do you act upon them? Please read post for ex.

took your advice, had a couple of workouts this week, its amazing how good i feel. thanks for the tip, i`ll keep it up as it beats pacing around the house talking to myself.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
(male)

MT483 HB User

Most of all, don't forget the punching bag. The heavy one. Picture who or what it is that bothers you, and beat, kick, head butt the damned thing till you feel satisfied. Man, I know this works, I just know it. Mike

Closed Thread