It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
(female)

ucs412 HB User
Question Now what?

Hi everyone, I've now read up on OCD and how it can cause intrusive thoughts and images. Now - what to do about it? Are you suppose to try to avoid them somehow? Let them happen? I still don't know how to get rid of them. Should you try to think of something else in place of them? My therapist still hasn't really given me any suggestions yet. We've just talked about the thoughts and how they made me feel. I want to know what I need to be doing to rid myself of them. Any suggestions? The only way to get rid of them now is just going to bed and I can't live like that! If anyone could help - I would really appreciate it!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

fadeaway HB User
Re: Now what?

Unfortunately there is no quick fix for intrusive thoughts. In most therapies you will just learn to live with them, and once you accept these thoughts and accept the uncertainty of life they will eventually lose their power. It is no cure, and doesn't ensure that the thoughts won't bother you again but it is most effective for living a normal, productive life with OCD. Basically just learn to accept that everything won't be completely certain for you, and OCD will lose some power over your mind.

Also, there are medications that can reduce the frequency of intrusive thoughts to some degree. Prescription medications are you and your doctor's decision to make though.

Hope this helps a little and best of luck with your therapy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
(female)

ucs412 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
Unfortunately there is no quick fix for intrusive thoughts. In most therapies you will just learn to live with them, and once you accept these thoughts and accept the uncertainty of life they will eventually lose their power. It is no cure, and doesn't ensure that the thoughts won't bother you again but it is most effective for living a normal, productive life with OCD. Basically just learn to accept that everything won't be completely certain for you, and OCD will lose some power over your mind.

Also, there are medications that can reduce the frequency of intrusive thoughts to some degree. Prescription medications are you and your doctor's decision to make though.

Hope this helps a little and best of luck with your therapy!
Thanks for your reply! You are the only one who responded....I was starting to think does anyone have an answer! I thought there might be a way to get rid of them completely. I was thinking of getting hypnotized...anything. Well, I guess I'll just have to hope they eventually won't bother me anymore. I heard that OCD is that you feel uncertain over things in your life that's when it starts happening. I think that is one of my problems...learning to accept that nothing can be certain in this life.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
(male)

shedd45 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucs412 View Post
Thanks for your reply! You are the only one who responded....I was starting to think does anyone have an answer! I thought there might be a way to get rid of them completely. I was thinking of getting hypnotized...anything. Well, I guess I'll just have to hope they eventually won't bother me anymore. I heard that OCD is that you feel uncertain over things in your life that's when it starts happening. I think that is one of my problems...learning to accept that nothing can be certain in this life.
i've been wanting to get hypnotized to. if the ocd is so bad they can do brain surgey on you i read.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
(female)

aweeze HB User

OCD is a toughfy. I have it. And at times it can be a little unbareable! it completely takes over and if you don't personally have it, its hard to understand.

It effects people in different ways, for example, checking doors,taps etc. Mine was repeatedly touching a certain thing, so much so it got abit dangerous lol i tend to find it goes at times, then returns, my current ocd moments are going over things over and over! It can really wear you down and make you depressed, especially if it is all you can think about.

You have to take your mind off it, or it will drive you up the wall.
Don't let it win.
Perhaps read a book, try surround yourself with happy things/people who can take your mind off it.

Perhaps get yourself a cheerfull hobby.

I know prescriptions arent always the way forward but at times when we get so low we need help getting out of it.
They helped me out of my lowest moment.

I hope you are feeling a little better!

Sorry to ramble.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
(female)

fadeaway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucs412 View Post
That's the most effective way of dealing with OCD I think. Most OCD obsessions are over things that we want a definite answer for, but in the world we live in nothing can be absolutely certain. It's very tough but just something we all have to deal with.

In my therapy, we are working on something called Acceptance and Commitment therapy...basically allowing the thoughts to be there, acknowledging them but not dignifying them with a response. Once the useless intrusive thoughts get a response from our emotions that's when they gain their power.

I would say just learn more about how OCD works and the psychology behind it. Once you know exactly what's happening in your head just that alone gives it less power. And definitely continue with your therapy, and like aweeze said just try and occupy your mind with things you enjoy! I'm glad I could help and I wish you strength with your OCD!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #7
(female)

ucs412 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
That's the most effective way of dealing with OCD I think. Most OCD obsessions are over things that we want a definite answer for, but in the world we live in nothing can be absolutely certain. It's very tough but just something we all have to deal with.

In my therapy, we are working on something called Acceptance and Commitment therapy...basically allowing the thoughts to be there, acknowledging them but not dignifying them with a response. Once the useless intrusive thoughts get a response from our emotions that's when they gain their power.

I would say just learn more about how OCD works and the psychology behind it. Once you know exactly what's happening in your head just that alone gives it less power. And definitely continue with your therapy, and like aweeze said just try and occupy your mind with things you enjoy! I'm glad I could help and I wish you strength with your OCD!
Hi fadeway,
Thank you so much for your reply. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about it and I am. I'm just having a hard time dealing w/it still, but it sounds like you are doing pretty well, so that's hopeful! You are right....when the thoughts get a hold of our emotions than is when the anxiety builds. It's so hard to let it not bother you though. The thing is...is that mine has gotten so bad that I don't enjoy anything anymore. Maybe just getting outside and forcing myself to walk. I'll try that. Again, thanks for any insigt you can provide

Closed Thread