It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
(female)

123pleasehelp HB User
Compulsive Scalp Picking Disorder

I'm 14 years old and I think I have a compulsive scalp picking disorder. It all started with just a little scab on my head, about three year ago. I couldn't stand the little imperfection so I used my finger nails to pick it off. Then I noticed all the other little perfections on my head and all the little chunks and flakes of dandruff. Now I have several scabs and sore spots on my head and I can't stop picking! I canít stop myself even when it bleeds! I think that the habit is disgusting! The worse times I pick are when I'm stressed and under pressure, when I'm doing homework, and especially when I am in front of the bathroom mirror. I can sit on the bathroom counter staring into the mirror so I can tilt my head down so I can see what to pick, digging my nails into my scalp until someone starts knocking on the door and questioning me! I hate it, and all the little white lies needed to cover it up, and I want to stop but I feel like I can't! I would like to tell someone but I am too scared. I noticed my mom picking at her head so I kind of told her about what Iím going through and she tries to help or support me but she tells me to quit cold turkey which is impossible for me. I try to stop, I really do, but then I just crack. I try not to let anyone know because I think they would think I was really gross and weird. I used to go to a therapist for anxiety but she moved and I donít want to see someone else. I also take a pill called Fluoxetine, also called Prozac but it is just for anxiety. To my friends, I am a regular teen age girl! I want to stop this disgusting habit so bad! Iím afraid Iím going to get bald spots or go crazy (when I wash my hair or brush it, a lot of hair falls out but I also have thick long hair so Iím not sure if my habit has anything to do with it) Please help me! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
(female)

ucs412 HB User
Re: Compulsive Scalp Picking Disorder

I think it could be your nerves too. I think seeing a new therapist would help. I have psorasis in my scalp and I pick it a lot!! But I have a lot of other problems that are a lot worse, so believe me yours is not that bad at all!!!! More people than you do things like that.

Closed Thread