It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
(male)

alex893 HB User
ROCD? Does anyone else have this? Help please!

I have been suffering from what seems like ROCD for about 2 months. I worry about my relationship constantly and keep wondering if i am in love and if i am in the right relationship (even when I know i am).

I have an OCD personality, I do the rituals and little habits. I do rituals before i go to bed, in the shower, before i go to the bathroom, and even at school. Sometimes my rituals can last up to 20 minutes. When I take off my shoes I have to point the right shoe to the north. I can't have anything to do with the color blue because I think sad things will happen if I use a blue object (like drying of with a blue towel), and many more things that might make you think im a bit odd, but oh well right?

Now my relationship is perfect with this girl, we are pefect together. We have not had a major fight or argument yet. I cannot imgaine myself with anyone else but her.

But one day on a sunday when i imagined a couple thoughts my brain didn't take too kindly too evolved into something bad. I thought what if I was going to fall out of love with my beloved girlfriend. It became an obsession, these thoughts did, and I didin't realize why.
When I first had these thoughts, I basically broke down, they were so overwhelming. I was so convinced that I actually was falling out of love, heck it even felt like it! These thoughts were eating away at me for a few hours.
After the "OCD attack" (no clue what its really called) i felt normal again. Everything was fine, I loved my girlfriend and everything was normal again. It didn't happen that whole night and I thought maybe i just worried it away.

The next morning went fine until it happened again at school and I realized I had a problem. It came an went everyday, lasting about half of the day each day. I knew I loved her deep down, but I didn't know why i was worrying and had fears about stuff like this.

New thoughts and worries and fears popped into my head since then, and its only getting worse. It lasts about the whole day now, I do find some relief when its away, but it comes back. One minute I feel all affectionate the next I am worried and cannot feel anything.

My biggest worry is falling out of love, which I do not see how, she is perfect she is everything I have ever wanted. Another fear is what if I want to be alone, or what if shes not the right one. One time I worried if I was actually gay. I have no clue why, but I worried about it for like an hour or two.

When I hang out with her, sometimes I feel worried and stuff but usually i feel fine, especially after i hang out with her i can say to myself, "ok i had a good time i love her shes amazing these worries are nothing". But sometimes it gets the best of me.

When I get engrossed in these thoughts I cant feel like I love anyone or really care about anything. The thoughts make me gag and want to puke.

Sometimes I even doubt I have a condition or anything and worry what if i am really falling out of love, but how? What would be the reason? Shes perfect to me. The what-if factors come into play and make me worry and scared more. Sometimes I just feel like crying for no reason.

So does this sound like ROCD to you? Sorry if this is really long I just had to say it all lol. I love my girlfriend alot and I need coping mechanisms, tips, hints, self help techniques, anything to help a guy out. I just want to have an amazing summer with my loved one and I don't want anything to ruin it.

I do not really feel like taking meds but I will do anything and everything I can to stop this. I am not going to let a stupid disorder ruin my relationship. Ill fight it even if it kills me I just need advice on what to do is there self-help books or things I can do? Has anyone else ever experienced stuff like this?

Thoughts?

Last edited by alex893; 06-02-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
(male)

alex893 HB User
Re: ROCD? Or am I just going insane?

I feel so helpless and like alone ive looked everywhere on the internet and havent found much on ROCD what if i dont even have it? will i ever be normal? is there even any ways to cope and treat it ?

Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

xmindjailx HB User

This sounds to me like OCD. i worry with my relationship too. someone yesterday told me that leos and scorpios (which is me and my boyfriends signs) can't work. That freaked me out and I started obsessing about whether it was true.
In your situation, it sounds like you really do love your girlfriend. If you weren' t in love with her, you'd know. It's normal for people to question their relationships. But people with OCD take these questions seriously and they worry over them. Which is exactly what is going on with you. You took a thought and applied significance to it. This is the definition of OCD.

Try not to add significance to these thoughts anymore. You're dread over these thoughts proves even more that you love her.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #4
(male)

alex893 HB User

thank you for your post. it just pains me that not many people know about ROCD and makes me worry that i might not be able to find help or something ontop of my fear of never getting better.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
(female)

xmindjailx HB User

have you ever spoken to your girlfriend about this? or perhaps someone esle close to you?
i say try to discuss your problem and its likely that you'll get a positive response. i have discussed my OCD with many people and they have been very supportive. it really helps to talk about it rather then hold it in.
if the problem still persists, you might want to look into therapy. there is no shame in going to therapy, many people do it even some who don't have major issues but just need someone to talk to.
therapy is VERY effective for treating OCD. try not to worry about not getting better, because it WILL get better.
Hang in there!!! From my experience, OCD is never a constant low. Some days are worse than others. I have suffered from all different kinds of intrusive thoughts and what i've learned is somehow, eventually, the intensity of the anxiety diminishes. So don't worry, i doubt the fear will last. Just vent and make positive changes in your life (stay busy, exercise, eat right, hobbies, etc.)

The following user gives a hug of support to xmindjailx:
Spydrman (03-01-2011)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
(male)

alex893 HB User

Thanks and I will. I just want things to go back to normal again. I want to feel love again and not worry and fear 24/7. Do you have any tips on what to do when these fears become overwhelming? I don't know the exact term for when OCD "attacks".

Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
(female)

xmindjailx HB User

I'm starting to learn that there really is no healthy immediate way of relief when it comes to OCD. Like for me, when i have an attack, i'll go online and search my symptoms and look at threads and they'll provide temporary relief. But through experience, I've realized that this only lasts so long.
So, really, the best thing you can do is keep telling yourself it's not real it's just your OCD, try to stop questioning and get your mind on something else (call a friend, read a book, watch TV, etc.). The key is to remove the fear. This is done by no longer reacting to it with worry and dread.
This process takes time and practice. It will never magically go away. OCD is a challenge and it can be defeated, it HAS been defeated (there are many success stories online) but it takes a lot of effort.
So, basically, when you're having an attack, try to work yourself down and remember thoughts don't define a person. This will take time so be patient! Feel better!!!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:28 AM   #8
(male)

alex893 HB User

Ok I will try that and eventually when I do conquer these thoughts or get help I will be able to feel love like I used to? Like stuff will go back to normal?

Thank you for your posts and I can relate to the searching for symptoms lol but they dont help as much as they used to.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
(female)

xmindjailx HB User

Yes, I do believe that once you've sought out help, you'll have a more realistic and positive perspective on your relationship.
Thinking back to an old OCD intrusive thought which had to do with religion, ghosts, etc., I thought I'd never get over it and I would never be able to attend church or watch a tv show about ghosts without having a panic attack. But now, I have absolutely no fear of that stuff anymore! So yeah, it does go away. But like i said, time, patience and effort.

No problem!! I find that helping others through intrusive thoughts is a therapeutic way of coping with my own OCD/Depression.
There's no rhyme or reason as to why some people get OCD. It's just not fair that on top of every struggle in life, we have another one preventing us from dealing with our other problems. But i believe that i can learn from OCD and maybe be helpful to others and become stronger myself.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
(male)

mk52 HB User

Dude, it's like you are repeating me my life. I have yet to meet someone with the same exact symptoms as me, but I have went through the SAME exact thing. I feel like there is a root cause to all of this. My goal is to discover what that root cause is.

Last edited by moderator2; 05-26-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: please do not leave huge quotes in your posts

Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
(male)

alex893 HB User

bump - anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 05-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
(male)

alex893 HB User

bump. any more posts would be appreciated

Old 05-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
(male)

alex893 HB User

bump

Old 06-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
(male)

alex893 HB User

bump

Old 06-10-2010, 11:42 AM   #15
(female)

recovering HB User

I am new to all of this; just found out that I have OCD and its made me realize how many people i've known over the years who have also had it. Yes, Alex I've felt just like you but I've been married for almost 11 years to a man who has NPD so because of the arrogance and the fact that he has to be the center of attention I've always been afraid he'd cheat on me. Before I married him, when i would date and my BF would flirt and a woman would flirt back I would dump him; she could have him for all I cared. I wasn't willing to be humiliated by another woman and a man who didn't care more about me than that. That was all justified in my mind I guess, and I had been cheated on by everyone that it was my biggest fear. I remember a boyfriend telling me that he wasn't in my league and I was only dating him because it was safe. I think he was right, we had nothing in common. I dumped him because he didn't want a relationship with my son, he thought my son was ruining everthing; now that's a real reason to let someone go. After all of these years arguing with my husband, thinking he wasn't the one, thinking he was cheating, having anxiety attacks and just really letting it control me I realized I'd had enough of these feelings. It helped me to find out he had NPD (I would never tell him he had NPD, he'd never believe it anyway) so I thought it was him but as I dealt with his issue I realized I was also imagining a lot of it on my own. I started the behaviorial therapy and didn't even know what it was or that I had OCD until last week when I was watching "The OCD project." I'm glad I discovered it because I thought I was over it and if it happens again at least now I'll know why. I'm thinking about going to see my doctor and just getting the medication even if I don't begin taking it yet; I just want it there in case I start to have issues again. Since I've found out that I have OCD, I keep thinking back about all of the signs. I'm glad I know but somehow it's bothering me, bumming me out. But I know that I will be O.K. with it, just feeling a little alone. I"m glad for this forum right now. Luckily I've found two awesome hobbies, one is making cakes, crazy cakes with sculptures, and two videography. they are both very mind intensive so I don't really worry about anything. When I start feeling odd I just start to town on one of those and watch a show about it at the same time; there are no thoughts that can squeak in that time. I'm also an avid mountain bike rider so that helps to release tension as well. I recommend having hobbies, not only do they help to get your mind off trivial thoughts, they make you happy and fulfilled.

Last edited by recovering; 06-10-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Closed Thread