It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
(male)

frickfrock99 HB User
Songs keep running in my head!

So I know I have ocd, usually it's about things that are supposed to happen automatically, like blinking and breathing.

But for the past few days, it's been songs that are running through my head.

Yes, it is very beautiful, but it's always running in my head! My head hurts sometimes from it.

Any tips?

Last edited by frickfrock99; 06-23-2010 at 07:12 AM.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #2
(female)

GenGen* HB User
Re: Songs keep running in my head!

How weird, lmao.
It depends-
do you listen to music often throughout the day?
Of course a song will be stuck in your head, but do you think a lot about things each day?
Maybe your brain isn't extremely active most of the time (NOT to say you're unintelligent, but maybe you entertain yourself most of the day watching T.V., etc, not doing much.)
and thus, it's easier to get a song in your head.
Lastly, liking the song won't help.

I suggest you stop listening to these songs for a while to get them out of your head.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
(female)

cremenoir HB User

Hi Frick,

I have struggled with this for years! I definitely understand where you're coming from. I think it started when I was about 10, it was the first manifestation of OCD I ever experienced. I used to struggle with the automatic stuff too. (I still catch myself paying too much attention to it sometimes; blinking, etc.)

Having songs stuck in my head used to really freak me out--each time I thought was going to be the last straw that drove me completely insane. I've been dealing with it now long enough to understand that it's almost always directly related to my stress level, states of excitement, etc. and as annoying as it is, when it happens you just have to let it pass--fighting it makes it worse. Look at it this way--you're lucky that the part of your brain that gets stuck on replay is related to some relatively benign and irrelevant piece of information, rather than an obsessive thought that compels you to act on it.

The best thing you can do is try not to worry about it--which probably doesn't sound very helpful because as we know "trying not to worry" is probably the most monumental task that could ever exist for a person with OCD. But you just have to keep in mind that you aren't going crazy, and know that in time, it will pass. Also, pay attention to your physical state of stress/relaxation (this goes for the auto behaviors too). I think that when we get things stuck in our heads, it can be almost like a cramp or a muscle knot--for some reason, that part of the brain is tensed up on replay and just won't seem to relax. Often times relaxing your body physically does wonders. Stretch out your body, make sure you aren't unnecessarily tensing any muscles. I find yoga really helpful also--it sounds cliche, but it really does help tremendously. For the tension headaches (which I'm all too familiar with) after you relax and stretch your body, breathe deeply and try massaging your shoulders, neck, scalp, forehead, and face.

I have managed to get almost every aspect of my OCD under control throughout my life, but I've pretty much had to accept the fact that no matter what I do I'm always going to have my personal jukebox going in my head from time to time. Once you accept it and lose your anxiety over it, it honestly does get a lot better (headaches especially). Just relax and remember that it will pass in time.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
(male)

xtreme88 HB User

hey man this happened to me once when my anxiety was full blown and got to me
i took serequel and it went away in a couple of days
but it was bad it was there all day night dream and when i woke up i couldnt handle it thought i was going insane

so get some serequel its an anti phychotic and it will go away instantly

Closed Thread